Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,053
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Layne, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, jludwig, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 631 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: gully washer
Originally Posted By: Lynyrd
I made a couple of small mistakes on the siphon. It did not come on by itself. In fact, it was vapor locked and would not let any water through at all. I had to bleed the air pressure off of it before it would start. But, I know what I need to do to fix it so that it will self prime, and it won't be a hard fix.
Hello Lynyrd........... I'm curious as to what the problem with the siphon was. Was the high point vent clogged, or was the vent pipe routed too deep into the pond? I'm thinking that vapor lock shouldn't occur in an open ended siphon overflow regardless of whether or not the vent is working, but after looking at your pictures I did notice the long length of riser pipe at the discharge end of the siphon. Depending on piping elevations, I'm guessing that this long length of riser might possibly create enough head pressure at the outlet so as to allow an airlock to occur at certain pool elevations, should the high point vent become clogged.............. Just a thought. Like I said, I'm curious.

btw: NICE project, and congrats on the rain.

I originally had the air vent pipe too low in the water. My idea was that I wanted the siphon to continue to run until it had draw the water down to just below the bottom of the main pipe going through the dam. As the pipe filled with water, and as you noted because of the 6 foot extension on the outlet side of the pipe, air could not get out either the vent, or the bottom of the siphon. I had to open the primer cap to vent the air. There was quite a bit of pressure in there when I pulled the cap off.

I have since raised the level of the intake on the vent pipe. I don't know where it needs to wind up yet. The lake has not risen high enough in the last month to make the siphon kick on. The 12" pipe is handling the normal water flow.

I've got a picture somewhere of my new set up, but what I did was add an adjustable pipe underneath the air vent pipe. This will allow me to fine tune the height of the air vent.

Just an old guy who likes to fish.
Lynyrd #420100 08/03/15 12:12 PM
L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L

Here is the first satellite image of my new lake. There was a pre-existing small pond I built several years ago. You can see it in the lower right portion of the picture. What looks like a road across the water is actually the dam of the small pond. There is a difference of about 6 feet between the two water levels.

The CC's I stocked in April are already 8 to 12 inches long and there are so many CNB spawning beds you can't count them. LMB stocked in June are 6 to 8 inches long already. I've seen a few jump completely out of the water chasing minnows.

GPS shows the surface are to right about 10 acres. I would really like to hear some expert advice on whether or not my 10 acre lake is big enough for black crappie?

Last edited by Lynyrd; 08/03/15 12:13 PM.

Lynyrd #420108 08/03/15 01:12 PM
L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Someone asked about my siphon pipe. Here is the valve set up. There are two 2" ball valves that allow me to prime the pipe with a pump if I ever need to drain the lake down some. The main pipe is 12" oil well casing. There is a trash screen on the bottom of the main pipe that is built out of 1/4" woven wire mesh with 2" holes in the mesh.

Me and a friend built this siphon set up. It comes on by itself after I tweaked the height of the air vent pipe. If I did the math correctly, it pumps about 4,000 GPM when in full siphon mode. My spillway would not hold up to erosion if it were not for this siphon.

Attached Images
SiphonValves.jpg

Lynyrd #420434 08/07/15 12:20 AM
A
A
Beautiful lake. Congratulations!

I'm no BC expert, but I thought Overton was looking at a hybrid crappie that spawns less than white or black, thus reducing the boom and bust cycle problems so common with them in smaller BOW. Also, there was some talk a few years ago that HSB did a good job keeping down crappie numbers, though I haven't heard much lately.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Lynyrd #420763 08/12/15 02:46 PM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
To me Crappie are over rated and for all the problems they cause they really are! IMO BG and CNBG of 9 and 10 inches fight just as well as a 12 inch crappie and they taste just as good! And not as many issues with them.

I know I don't want to tick off all the crappie lovers but my 10 in gills fight just as hard if now harder then crappie and taste gooooooooood!!! So why go through all the trouble for them.... Just saying?

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #420809 08/12/15 10:32 PM
L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
RC51, I'll keep your comments in mind. IF I put BC in in will be this October. I've never seen 10 inch CNBG. I put 7K of them in my lake in April that were 1"-3" long, and they've been actively spawning all summer. Seen the beds and the young. If I could get them to grow to 10" that would be awesome. I figured their main purpose was food for the LMB.

Last edited by Lynyrd; 08/12/15 10:32 PM.

Lynyrd #420811 08/12/15 11:10 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'll make a disclaimer and say that I absolutely love crappie so I am partial to them.... if you love crappie your lake looks like it will grow them quite nicely...

Id stock about 1000 black crappie and harvest their offspring!!

Lynyrd #420817 08/13/15 07:20 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
RC51, I'll keep your comments in mind. IF I put BC in in will be this October. I've never seen 10 inch CNBG. I put 7K of them in my lake in April that were 1"-3" long, and they've been actively spawning all summer. Seen the beds and the young. If I could get them to grow to 10" that would be awesome. I figured their main purpose was food for the LMB.

Lynyrd,

They do get to be 9, 10 and even 11 inches. In some case 12. Here are a couple of mine from this last year. This is after 4 years. The one my boy is holding is 1 pound exactly we weighed it right at 10 inches. The other one is 11 inch 1.5 pounds!! Biggest one I have caught so far on my pond.

The cool thing about CNBG is they do feed your bass and they can get big enough to eat and don't cause as many issues. You get a win, win situation with BG and CNBG! That's just me tho. Like n8ly said your pond is big enough to handle them to some extent but.... 4 years from now who knows what kind of a mess you could have.....

Keep in mind it's not that I don't like Crappie they are good! But you have to ask yourself after reading all the stuff out here about the problems with crappie is it worth it? Once you put them in a 10 acre pond and it doesn't go right good luck trying to fix it later! frown

RC

Attached Images
1 Pound Bluegill.jpg 11 inch BG.jpg 9.5 inch Blue Gill.jpg BG and LMB o the Grill.jpg

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Lynyrd #420953 08/14/15 07:20 AM
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
If it were me and it's not smile I would put about 200 HSB in there for a bonus fish! Now that would be fun once they got to be 5 or 6 pounds!! I've also heard they are not bad tasting either as long as you get the red strip out of the meat!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 08/14/15 07:20 AM.

Lynyrd #516465 02/06/20 11:17 AM
L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I haven't been on the forum in a while, but I wanted to give an update. We have been catching LMB up to 9 lbs and CC up to 10 lbs. The CNBG are plentiful but small. I never stocked and BC and so far I haven't regretted that. I still work 50+ hours/wk so time to fish does not come as often as I would like. But the fishing is good most any day. In 2019 we took about 300 lbs (live weight) of fish out of the pond. That's going to have to increase now that the fish are getting big. I don't want the LMB to get over populated. I've got to make more time to fish, or find more helpers.

I just ordered a Hotwoods Aluma Sport 612 from their place in Emory and it should be here in a couple of weeks. My 9 year old grandson is going to spend the week with me on spring break in March, and we are going to break in the new mini pontoon. I hope that week is a preview of my retirement years!

Lynyrd #516468 02/06/20 12:56 PM
J
Online Content
J
Glad to hear about the progress!

Are there a vast of range of LMB? What are your plans for the pond going forward?

Lynyrd #516470 02/06/20 02:07 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Lynyrd....congrats on your pond's progress.

Although your pond is more than twice as big as mine, they have sort of the same shape.

ps:
You'll love your new Hotwoods mini-pontoon.
Mike will take care of you in Emory.
Just finally finished the boat slip for mine.
I have Overton's Hybrid Crappie in mine, but I am not a technically correct kind of guy.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Glad to hear about the progress!

Are there a vast of range of LMB? What are your plans for the pond going forward?

The LMB that we catch range in size from 1/2 pound to 9 lbs. And there seem to be no real size class that is most common.

As for my plans, I'm happy with the mix I have right now. I just want to take enough out each year so that it doesn't get over populated. And that is going to be tough. I can only eat so many fish! laugh

Zep #516476 02/06/20 04:39 PM
L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Zep
Lynyrd....congrats on your pond's progress.

Although your pond is more than twice as big as mine, they have sort of the same shape.

ps:
You'll love your new Hotwoods mini-pontoon.
Mike will take care of you in Emory.
Just finally finished the boat slip for mine.
I have Overton's Hybrid Crappie in mine, but I am not a technically correct kind of guy.

Wow, almost the same shape to our ponds. Mine has about 5 acres of water that ranges from 2 to 6 foot deep (except for the creek channel). And with 560 acres of watershed my problem is not getting or holding water, it's getting rid of water. My spillway pipe flows 10 months out of the year.

And I'll agree that Mike at Hotwoods seems to be a solid guy. I hope the little pontoon works as good for me as I think it will.

Lynyrd #516477 02/06/20 04:50 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
And I'll agree that Mike at Hotwoods seems to be a solid guy. I hope the little pontoon works as good for me as I think it will.

You're gonna love it.

FYI...thus far the Hotwoods solar charger has worked great for my trolling motor..but I'm only out there on weekends.

Zep #516479 02/06/20 09:32 PM
L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Dang Zep! Your dock is awesome. My place is a bit more low rent than yours. And I can see that you got a much bigger mini-pontoon than I did. Do you have the 716? I love your setup.

I got a solar charger for mine, but eventually I am going to run electricity to my pier and then I will put on an on board charger.

Lynyrd #516480 02/06/20 10:23 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Zep, I really like the way the engineered wood is laid out on the pier. Great idea!!

Now I need to look closer at those boats. Seems to be a better work platform than a flat bottom jon boat.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lynyrd #516487 02/07/20 09:19 AM
D
D
You guys are evil.... I have been looking at mini pontoons for hours!

2.5 acres with LMB, RES, BG and CC
Lynyrd #516488 02/07/20 09:25 AM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Do you have the 716? I got a solar charger for mine, but eventually I am going to run electricity to my pier and then I will put on an on board charger.

Lynyrd yeah it's a 716...I'm going to have dock electricity too, but gosh electricity always scares me on a dock...the electrician is not finished yet, but I told him I wanted 2 GFCI plugs...one out on the dock and one where dock connects to land....even-though I suppose you don't need to do that on one line..but I'm paranoid...I worked with a guy that got electrocuted in a pond.

Originally Posted By: esshup
Now I need to look closer at those boats. Seems to be a better work platform than a flat bottom jon boat.

Thanks Scott. I finally found a "low-flake-factor" dock builder. The work platform idea is the reason I didn't go with more permanent seats..although they offer some that pop-out. The Hotwoods boat is very stable and ready for work with Christmas trees, cinder blocks, and pole chain-saws for trimming limbs hanging over water edge.

Lynyrd #516489 02/07/20 10:46 AM
G
G
There is definitely nothing low rent about that dock and boat am loving that setup!

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Zep, I looked at their site and I love the background in the pictures when you scroll through the images of the 612 Model.

They say they will float in 10" water, but don't mention the draft. What's your experience? I see you have the 715.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Zep #516492 02/07/20 11:59 AM
S
S
Great looking boat and dock.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
esshup #516493 02/07/20 12:51 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: esshup
Zep, I looked at their site and I love the background in the pictures when you scroll through the images of the 612 Model.They say they will float in 10" water, but don't mention the draft. What's your experience? I see you have the 715.

Yeah Scott when they delivered a floating dock to me a couple of years ago they asked if they could do photo-shoot at our place.

Just an FYI: I was not compensated for the photo-shoot and received no discount on my boat, have no interest or relationship with Hotwoods

I have the 716 model...my pond is 3.5-4 acres so I only have a troll motor...no gas motor....to be honest we've only been out on our boat 3 times for a few minutes...with the holidays, weather, boat slip construction, and a surprise grand-baby just have not fully broke it in yet. We plan to get on it more this weekend. The dog loves it!

Thanks John!

L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: DavidDunn
You guys are evil.... I have been looking at mini pontoons for hours!

I've had a 15' flat bottom with a 25HP Evinrude for over twenty years. I've been using it on my 10 acre pond, but it's overkill. It's also not very good for cleaning out wood duck boxes, trimming limbs, destroying a beaver lodge, spraying weeds, etc. All of which I have "tried" to do from my flat bottom. I think the Hotwoods pontoon with a flat aluminum deck is going to make all of those chores much easier. It should also be a good fishing platform.

The big plus for me is that I won't have to take it out of the water. No more launching on my mud ramp. Just walk out on the pier, get in it, and go. I'm going to be putting pads on my dock this weekend so it won't rub.

Zep #516496 02/07/20 02:14 PM
L
Lynyrd Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted By: Zep

Lynyrd yeah it's a 716...I'm going to have dock electricity too, but gosh electricity always scares me on a dock...the electrician is not finished yet, but I told him I wanted 2 GFCI plugs...one out on the dock and one where dock connects to land....even-though I suppose you don't need to do that on one line..but I'm paranoid...I worked with a guy that got electrocuted in a pond.

I understand what you mean. With my watershed, my dock can go underwater on a 6" rain. I will not have any power outlets out on the pier. Just a pole on the bank. I'll put some GFI plugs up high enough that they wont go under water.

I understand why you didn't get mounted front seats on your pontoon. The flat work space will come in handy. I opted for the all weather folding seats that are mounted to the deck, but come off very easy. There will be times when the front of my deck is open like yours.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??