Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,067
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,410
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (esshup, bstone261, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson), 691 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 32 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 31 32
W
OP Offline
W
Got about 175 9-12" rainbows dropped in the lake today! My buddy said there didn't appear to be any casualties so that's great. They also swear they saw a couple 6-8" fish when they pulled up there before they ever dropped in a fish. He wouldn't bet any money that it wasn't a couple big salamanders (we got huge ones in there) but he said it really really looked like a fish. Pretty interesting but no way to know now I guess. We fished for hours and hours last year and never got a single bite. Never once saw a fish jump. I don't see how it could have been fish.....

Hit the ground there in 18 days!!!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
That is exciting!!!! Although, when you get there you will most likely be bored. No projects to work on. The ones that have been on your mind now for months (huge sarcasm meant here!)

W
OP Offline
W
hahaha you know it!!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
MORE than McMaster? Whoa!!!!

I ordered from McMaster at 2:30 p.m. yesterday and the package showed up here at 9am today. Regular shipping........

Cap came in. Went to the main shop to go over a program with the boss.

He said your stuff from McMaster came in. I went on to tell him about the cap and what Gast wanted for it. He asked what I paid for it? Said $7.82. He looked it up at one of our vendors and said I got screwed! Retail price for this capacitor is $3.87, our price is $2.71. Sheesh!!!

W
OP Offline
W
Heading West in the morning fellas! Might be out of touch for a while but hope to soon post some cool pics and some data too.

Thanks for all the help and information, especially MnFish, JKB and Esshup!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Have a safe trip and post back when you can.

One of our vendors brought in the ABB guy's for a dog n pony show this morning. They brought in a bunch of neat stuff for circuitry this time. We talked a bit about solar as well. Some pretty interesting stuff.

I'll start building that control box soon.

Stay safe!!!

W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: JKB
Have a safe trip and post back when you can.

One of our vendors brought in the ABB guy's for a dog n pony show this morning. They brought in a bunch of neat stuff for circuitry this time. We talked a bit about solar as well. Some pretty interesting stuff.

I'll start building that control box soon.

Stay safe!!!

Sounds cool JKB! Can't wait to hear what you find once you tear into it.

Will do and thanks again!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
MDonalds has free WiFi.

Run to town once in a while!! wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
MDonalds has free WiFi.

Run to town once in a while!! wink

Crooks know that McDonalds has free WiFi wink

Get a secure hotspot router if you're going on open public WiFi.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I've been gone awhile and I'm sure your loving the life at 10,000'. Can't wait to read the report.

The help is most welcome and you better have taken lots of pics.

W
OP Offline
W
Just got back home yesterday. Got a lot done. Didn't quite get everything done I wanted to, but did get one monster project done that wasn't on the list.

As far as the lake stuff goes, got the windmill up and running two vertex diffusers, got some brook trout in there and got some temp and DQ data recorded. Here is a pic of what we are looking like now.

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 12/07/18 12:05 PM.

W
OP Offline
W
Data Collected

Depth(Feet)-- Temp (F) -- DO(%)
1 ------------- 61.6 ------------ 61.5
2 ------------ 61.4 ------------ 60.7
3 ------------ 61.4 ------------ 59.5
4 ------------ 61.4 ------------ 58.3
5 ------------ 60.7 ------------ 59.9
6 ------------ 60.2 ------------ 57.3
7 ------------ 58.4 ------------ 28.3
8 ------------ 56.5 ------------ 3.2
9 ------------ 53.8 ------------- 0
10 ------------ 51.1 ------------ 0
11 ------------ 48.3 ------------ 0

All data was collected at 7am. Readings were taken approxinmately 50-75' away from a diffuser and over the deepest water in the lake. On the opposite end of the lake from where the bulk of the water enters the lake. The diffusers had been in the water for two weeks. I quit taking temp readings because the wind started making it hard to keep the canoe in one spot and wasn't sure if more temp data was relevant since there was zero oxygen at that point anyway.

Edit:Sorry for the table. Didn't turn out like I thought it would

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/02/15 12:47 PM.

W
OP Offline
W
So, Do the experts think my one windmill can make any noticeable improvement in this at all?

Lunker
Lunker
I'm no expert but it should help, the differece in the DO readings at 6ft and 8ft look odd.

W
OP Offline
W
That is kind of what I thought. The DO just fell off a cliff. I was sitting over aprrox 20' deep water. Don't think I could have screwed it up but who knows.

D
D
I think with the deep water and air station your getting another current mixing. A natural current and your air station current.

When it rains lightly you can see where the currents meet and run into each other.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
I think with the deep water and air station your getting another current mixing. A natural current and your air station current.

When it rains lightly you can see where the currents meet and run into each other.

Cheers Don.

Don,

I definitely saw what you mention in bold. If I am correst, you could see it with some wind on the water too. Two big circles above the diffusers with a different "water pattern" than all the surrounding water.

Sorry, but what does that do or indicate?

Originally Posted By: wbuffetjr
That is kind of what I thought. The DO just fell off a cliff. I was sitting over aprrox 20' deep water. Don't think I could have screwed it up but who knows.

I'm like the blind leading the blind, but that looks like a thermocline with accompanying drop in DO to me. I'm guessing you're getting incomplete mixing and thus still have stratification. Whether or not that's good or bad I really don't know.

W
OP Offline
W
Well, 3 weeks until I head back out to the cabin to elk hunt. While I am there, I will take some more DO readings (this time in PPM). This will be after approx 2 months of the windmill aeration. I hope there is some improvement in the DO levels.

Best case scenario is I get a solar rig up there next summer. Run it all summer and into the winter as long as I can. I know I can get someone up there a couple times a month at least until Decemberish to check on it, knock any snow/ice off, etc. Then go into winter with as high of DO as possible and hope the windmill keeps a hole open.

I sure hope the DO levels look better when I get there next month.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Maybe the last visit in the early winter you tip the solar panel more vertical so it's facing the sun at a better angle for the winter? That would help the snow slide off easier too. In the Spring, flatten it out as the sun rises in the sky.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
S
Without the air running, you might have had the DO levels drop at a more shallow depth. For example at 5' instead of at 7'.

So even though you are not getting good levels all the way to the bottom, you likely are getting many more gallons of water oxygenated for the fish to live in.

The diffusers are moving x gallons of water from the lower regions to the surface to reach oxygen. It might take multiples of x to enrich the water all the way to the bottom.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
D

Cheers Don.

Don,

I definitely saw what you mention in bold. If I am correst, you could see it with some wind on the water too. Two big circles above the diffusers with a different "water pattern" than all the surrounding water.

Sorry, but what does that do or indicate?

Yes it shows where the water currents are meeting or changing directions. I have seen it with a light breezes too. I use these to arrange my diffusers to best suit the bottom of the pond and my pressure to each different diffuser so to maximize my water current action.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
W
OP Offline
W
Originally Posted By: snrub
Without the air running, you might have had the DO levels drop at a more shallow depth. For example at 5' instead of at 7'.

So even though you are not getting good levels all the way to the bottom, you likely are getting many more gallons of water oxygenated for the fish to live in.

The diffusers are moving x gallons of water from the lower regions to the surface to reach oxygen. It might take multiples of x to enrich the water all the way to the bottom.

Thanks for the insight Snrub! As far as multiples of X, that's at the top of the list for next summer. I just hopethe fish survive this winter.

I guess the bad part about a windmill is that without TRUE wind speed data, taken right there at the mill, one will never truly know what kind of oxygen one is producing. Now I have to buy a wind speed meter hahaha

Last edited by wbuffetjr; 08/24/15 03:54 PM.

W
OP Offline
W

Yes it shows where the water currents are meeting or changing directions. I have seen it with a light breezes too. I use these to arrange my diffusers to best suit the bottom of the pond and my pressure to each different diffuser so to maximize my water current action.

Cheers Don.

Gotcha! Thanks Don!

S
S
Originally Posted By: snrub

Thanks for the insight Snrub! As far as multiples of X, that's at the top of the list for next summer. I just hopethe fish survive this winter.

I guess the bad part about a windmill is that without TRUE wind speed data, taken right there at the mill, one will never truly know what kind of oxygen one is producing. Now I have to buy a wind speed meter hahaha

Just keep in mind the bubbles add only minimal O2 to the water. The bubbles pump lower water to the surface where the air/water interface adds the O2. The bubbles are really just a low energy water pump. It is the movement of lower water to the surface that is the key, not the bubbles themselves.

Last edited by snrub; 08/24/15 11:30 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Page 6 of 32 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:37 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB