Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (BillyE, FishinRod, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 747 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
OP Offline
B
From 5" to 14" and to 1.74 lbs in just under 1 year.

B
OP Offline
B
Also from 5" to 14" and to 1.96 lbs in under 1 year.

Nice lil belly.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Possibly egg laden females. Great growth - you are feeding them correctly - doin' it right. Great example of what can be done when you use the right technique. In what part of the country and growing season was this growth made possible so other members can better relate to your seccess ??

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
OP Offline
B
Bill -

North Georgia 1 acre pond. Rainwater runoff fed from surrounding mountains/hills 6 runoff streams feed the pond.

Pond has coppernose bluegills and redears. I supplement feeding with trout, shiners, and prawns periodically throughout the year.

I stocked 16 largemouth bass last end of May beginning of June 2014. There are at least 11 LMB still in the pond. One confirmed death. The other 4 LMB may be in the pond, or they may have moved on. I have yet to identify them this year.

These LMB are tough. The peel off line and run even with the drag set tight. I've got some fun video of them breaking the water and flipping and head shaking.

I think the large amount of forage compared to the small head count of predators has allowed for strong growth. These two are the runts of the litter. You can see in the picture on the previous page LMB substantially larger than these two.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I take it you have fin clipped or tagged these fish?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
B
OP Offline
B
sprkplug -

I have not, but as I introduce more bass it is on the must do task list.

With so few bass introduced last year I have kept a visual journal of my landings for each fish, and each fish is unique. I can pick them out by shape, color, markings, and personality. Seriously smile

I have a plan to introduce more bass this Summer, and so the new ones will have tags attached (or so that is the plan).

B
OP Offline
B
Update:

RW looks promising. 14.25 inches and 1.94 pounds.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet or data they would be willing to share that charts growth of LMB for 3 or more years? I'm looking to learn where the growth rate slows, and ideally I'd like also to learn the forage base for the LMB that were charted.

Last edited by basslover; 05/24/15 10:02 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
Update 21 July 2015:

Camelot Bell largemouth bass fingerlings introduced into Team Bass' pond this morning. Pictures to follow. But first, just from curiosity I dropped in 3 small minnows into the container holding these bass and instantly the minnows were attacked and swallowed. It was great to see the action from such small bass. Other interesting notes include the jumping characteristics of these bass and the light coloration almost with a blue hue (I'm colorblind so to me it appeared almost light blueish but to non-colorblind it might be different coloration). These fingerlings were jumping all over the place!

Container with the fingerlings:

Beautiful markings and coloration. Note that the post processing darkened the tone of the bass, they were lighter in color than these pics present them as.

Releasing the fingerlings to their new playground.

In addition to dropping fingerlings into our pond I also populated our water garden pond at our home with a number of Camelot Bells. I plan on rearing a number of them at home, controlling the feeding schedule and diet, and then transplanting to destinations as they reach sizes that lend themselves most likely to survive predation from larger bass.

Closeup of bass introduced into home pond.

J
J
Bass lover thanks for the pictures. You have a lovely pond and area. I love the clarity and grasses growing in your pond. That clarity with grasses along with the verity of fish that no doubt have plenty to eat is hard to get.

The wood dock you just rebuilt is something you may want to maintain with a sealer. I originally built mine of treated wood and put a sealer on it but didn't maintain it over the years. What happens is the wood over a dozen years starts to check and splinter.

I'm 81 now but I see a lot of you in me. I sailed, kayaked and built a lot of water related stuff and now take picture of my pond area that I enter in photographs shows. You take great pictures. Good luck in your future.

Here are some pictures.
This is my favorite kayak I built for all around use and sailing.

Same boat, different use.

Of all the ponds I have seen on pond boss yours is the one I would like to have.

Last edited by John Monroe; 07/30/15 12:09 AM.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Bass lover thanks for the pictures. You have a lovely pond and area. I love the clarity and grasses growing in your pond. That clarity with grasses along with the verity of fish that no doubt have plenty to eat is hard to get.

The wood dock you just rebuilt is something you may want to maintain with a sealer. I originally built mine of treated wood and put a sealer on it but didn't maintain it over the years. What happens is the wood over a dozen years starts to check and splinter.

I'm 81 now but I see a lot of you in me. I sailed, kayaked and built a lot of water related stuff and now take picture of my pond area that I enter in photographs shows. You take great pictures. Good luck in your future.

Here are some pictures.
This is my favorite kayak I built for all around use and sailing.

Of all the ponds I have seen on pond boss yours is the one I would like to have.

Thank you for the kind words!

At first I wasn't sold on the clarity, solely because fishing was tough. But I have since decided that I love the clarity and hope that we continue to have such wonderful level of clarity. Snorkeling is fun, shooting video underwater is fun, and seeing all the wildlife is nice.

LOVE your yak. Very nice, very sleek. Feel free to send that down to Georgia on Santa's sleigh wink

Originally Posted By: basslover
Update:

RW looks promising. 14.25 inches and 1.94 pounds.

Does anyone have a spreadsheet or data they would be willing to share that charts growth of LMB for 3 or more years? I'm looking to learn where the growth rate slows, and ideally I'd like also to learn the forage base for the LMB that were charted.

I am working on data like this in my pond thread. Click below in my signature for the data.

B
OP Offline
B
Update 12 November 2015
In May of 2015 I landed a bass that measured 14" and weighed in at 1.96 lbs.

Today 11th November 2015 I landed the same bass, now it measured 17.25" and weighed in at 3.70 lbs.

So this bass grew 3.25" in length and 1.74 lbs in weight in the past 6 months.

If Mother Nature keeps this butterball healthy it may be my football of the original crew I stocked in 2 years time. lol

Awesome post bass lover!! Thanks for all the updates and the pics!! I'm stuck over seas but can't wait to get back home and stick my new pond. Hope I get the growth you are getting with your bass

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Amazing growth.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Dinsmoreoutdoors
Awesome post bass lover!! Thanks for all the updates and the pics!! I'm stuck over seas but can't wait to get back home and stick my new pond. Hope I get the growth you are getting with your bass

Good luck with your pond. Loads of forage fish, healthy water, structure and cover, and small number of bass have resulted in our bass growth.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Amazing growth.

Thanks, Dave. See my next post for more info.

B
OP Offline
B
For the butterball bass I landed in May and November 2015 here is the growth history:

6" May 2014 (didn't record weight, initial stocking)
14" May 2015 1.96 lbs landed on golden shiner
17.25" November 2015 3.70 lbs landed on trout

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Quick math shows an approx 50% weight gain in about 6 months. That's amazing. Have you stocked trout during Georgia summers or is that from other forage? It has a huge gut for it's length so your forage base is paying off.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Quick math shows an approx 50% weight gain in about 6 months. That's amazing. Have you stocked trout during Georgia summers or is that from other forage? It has a huge gut for it's length so your forage base is paying off.

No trout after early March. I could certainly stock trout but the local bait shop where I get them from stop stocking them in March and start offering them again in October. I'd have to hit up one of the trout hatcheries in North Georgia or Western North Carolina. I plan to do that in 2016 to see how they fair in the deep end of the pond in the warmer months. If nothing else they will be forage for the bass right quick in the Summer. A nice supplemental treat high in protein.

I did coppernose bluegill as main forage base at a ratio of 22 to 1 back in May 2014. I offer supplemental stockings of shiners here and there, probably an average of 4 dozen medium to large shiners tossed in per the months of June, July, August and September. Now in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb I will offer supplemental feedings of trout on average 3 dozen per month. They can't possibly add to the growth of a bass of this size, but there are now plenty of minnows thriving in our pond as I introduced 2 dozen in August of this year. The shore offers some cover and they breed like rodents.

But the mainstay are bluegill. There are a crapton of them and the bass just eat them. But, throw in a shiner, shad or trout next to a bluegill and the bass will zero in on the shiner, shad or trout and ignore the bluegill.

When I landed this butterball before release I dropped another trout in its mouth headfirst, and the bass just gulped it down as I released it back into the water.

PS, maybe this bass has been dining on all the Camelot Bell fingerlings I stocked ... cry wink

N
N
Really Amazing growth, I am very excited about your next post. Thanks

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Nicole Martin
Really Amazing growth, I am very excited about your next post. Thanks

Thank you!

Supplemental stocking of trout will continue throughout this Winter.

I am looking forward to next July and August 2016. Some of the bass I stocked in May of 2014 may be near the 5lb mark.

B
OP Offline
B
Update 5 December 2015:

Water temperatures are dropping although the coppernose bluegill are still actively feeding when we toss in feed.

Largemouth bass are still spotted in shallows hanging out and cruising around.

I watched this bass just hanging out near one bank in about 2 feet of water. Bluegill within easy striking distance but never saw one inhaled. Tossed in a trout and BAM that bass immediately bee lined for it.

I didn't get the length measurement, but the weight is 4.05 lbs. I'm certain the RW ration is above 100%. Nice thickness to it. Beautiful green coloration.

T
T
Nice fish, healthy for sure, Did u sneak up on her with the camo on smile Good colors on both the fish and the camo. Sorry about being a S A, I am just messen with you. Again nice fish

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 12/06/15 08:55 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
T
T
Basslover, I understand from your post here that your water is pretty clear. With the clear water, have you seen any of the CBLMB fingerlings that you added to the pond? if so, how have they grown for you? My water is pretty heavy fertilized and now has around 16" of visibility so I never see any swimming around.

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 12/06/15 09:16 AM. Reason: add on

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: TGW1
Nice fish, healthy for sure, Did u sneak up on her with the camo on smile Good colors on both the fish and the camo. Sorry about being a S A, I am just messen with you. Again nice fish

Tracy

Tracy -

Yeah thus far the LMB I stocked in May of 2014 seem to be healthy, or show healthy appetites. smile

The camo helps.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday