Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Reno Guerra, ArkieJig, buzzdpm), 1,030 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sean,
Overton ' s has quality genetics, quality feed (Cargill - Triton), and other quality products (TH feeders, gypsum, ag lime...etc.). I've bought over 4000 fish from them, and i've lost only 1 because I stepped on it (my fault). They may be slightly higher in price than others, but I believe you get what you pay for...and then some. I email Todd with different questions and issues repeatedly. He always answers my emails. He doesn't try to over-sell you on fish like I hear so many places do. I FedEx pond water samples to him for analysis. I normally get the results the next day. If Overtons is within a few hours from you, who else would you ever need.
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I hear ya sparkplug...I guess I am a bit OCD (over think everything) and was hoping the decision would be easier.

I am still looking at LMB, BG, HBG, redear, and BHM (if they are on the truck). Just need to figure out the quantity. Thinking 6-12, 100, 25, 25, and 5lbs. I don't mind buying more...just having a hard time picturing 3000+ fish in my little pond. If 10lbs of minnows works, I have no problem buying them. Just more to eat the mosquito larvae...

As I mentioned, I think the pond will be good for a couple years, but do expect mother nature to reset me within 10 years...so hopefully will learn and adjust my goals with the next restock.

Forage...I take it people normally start there first because what they stock multiply by the time they put in the predators. Is this correct? If so, anything wrong with me just adding 3-5 lbs more BHM any time they are available?

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 06/25/15 09:32 PM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yes, adding forage first, before the introduction of predators is usually a sound practice. You can add additional forage anytime, but once the predators are established it may be little more than a quick snack.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Sean, if your stocking plan included HBG, it doesn't matter where you buy your fish IMO. I know that there is one of your neighbors thst love them, but I also have a reliable source that tells me they just delivered some of Overton's pure Florda CNBG offsprings recently.

Why would any one stock any other than the very best CNBG genetics in our area. Overton may be higher cost than others - I don't know because I don't shop around. I trust Overton to hatch and grow the best quality fish available anywhere.

He does not sell and will not sell HBG - go for the fish truck if you want inferior fish... IMO... grin
Best of luck,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I agree with George. If you decide you want some HBG, it shouldn't matter where you source them from. Understand the fish and it's needs, and they'll grow large for you, no pedigree needed.

Pound and a half, source was a fish truck:

Another, this one with a relative weight of over 170%

Like most everything else pond related, I believe it comes down to defining one's goals, understanding what's involved in attaining those goals, and diligently working towards making those goals a reality.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I agree with George. If you decide you want some HBG, it shouldn't matter where you source them from. Understand the fish and it's needs, and they'll grow large for you, no pedigree needed.

Pound and a half, source was a fish truck:

Another, this one with a relative weight of over 170%

Like most everything else pond related, I believe it comes down to defining one's goals, understanding what's involved in attaining those goals, and diligently working towards making those goals a reality.

Tony, is correct - it all depends,
Our friend Al (FireIsHot) has grown OTS CNBG pushing 2 lbs but he is not into posting photos. I have grown some really large ones prior to our devastating 2011 fish kill, and have some really nice ones currently. Growth rates of OTC CNBG have reached a pound within their first year!

Yeah, it all depends,
George

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Those are larger blue gill than I have ever seen in real life.

Sprkplug, I am no fish expert, but those appear to be two different types of fish. The coloring is very different and the pectoral fins seem to be different shapes too. ????? Different sexes?

I take it you two are feeding regularly to get fish that large? How often (is the comment earlier about twice a day, what they can eat in 15 mins the norm)?

Sean

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Both males. HBG can display a wide variance in coloration, even from within the same BOW. Some will be GSF dominant, while others will favor a BG, appearance wise.

I can't speak for George's feeding arrangements and schedules, but my fish are fed by hand, once a day. I don't follow a set procedure, but prefer to let the fish tell me how much they want to eat on any given day. And it can vary considerably from one day to the next. The flexibility afforded by hand feeding lets me tailor the feed to the fish, rather than simply dispensing a fixed amount every time.

The trick as I see it, is to get all the feed you can into the fish, not just floating on top of the water. Anything more than that is waste.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Boburk
Those are larger blue gill than I have ever seen in real life.

I take it you two are feeding regularly to get fish that large? How often (is the comment earlier about twice a day, what they can eat in 15 mins the norm)?

Sean

Sean, I have been feeding fish for so long I pretty much know how much to feed at various times of the year, always mid-early morning and late afternoon, depending on time of year.

The "how much they can eat in 15 minutes" is a bunch of foolishness as far as I am concerned... grin

Most folks don't realize how fast those pellets sink and being eaten by HSB - the smaller fish nibble on pellets that blow to the bank ...it all depends on your goals... cool

G/

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
They cancelled the truck.... frown

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Chin up....that gives you a few more days to ponder your goals, and devise a strategy to achieve results. Use this time to really think about what you want out of your pond. Additional hours spent mulling the pros and cons of various scenarios can only leave you better prepared.

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Either that...or plan to make the road trip I have been trying to avoid...

Sean

S
S
Hey Sean, There is another truck coming to Wichita Falls (the same place) on Monday at 10:30, if you are still considering that option.

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I called Todd...at least the number listed for Todd. I got a female (didn't catch her name). I told her what I have for a pond, and this is what she recommended:

7-8 hybrid striped bass (because they are easier to catch than LMB, and can't breed), 60 CNBG, 12 REB, and 40 Tilapia.

The reason for the tilapia is because they have no FHM right now. I asked her about this (because I heard they are prolific breeders and didn't understand why they would be out). Her answer was that they don't breed their own minnow, they get them out of ARKANSAS!!!! And that breeder is out right now. Anyhow, the tilapia are supposed to breed every 30 days, and die in the winter (so would need to be restocked after winter). This would give the bass something to eat.

When I asked about feeding (told her I figured I was going to have to feed at least for a little while), she said I can, but don't have to. I can get 100 CNBG for the same price of 75...so was thinking about increasing that number...but she had said they and the REB are ready to breed. The only thing I didn't like about the mix was the size of the hybrid bass. I was looking at LMB that were 2-3 inches...because I figured it would be awhile before they start eating everything else. But the hybrids are 8-10 inches...

She said the blue gill would do a better job of eating mosquito larvae than the FHM.

Anyhow, I need to figure out what the house captain has planned for tomorrow and see if we want to spend all day in the truck.

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 06/26/15 03:24 PM.
B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks ShieTown

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I called Todd...at least the number listed for Todd. I got a female (didn't catch her name). I told her what I have for a pond, and this is what she recommended:

7-8 hybrid striped bass (because they are easier to catch than LMB, and can't breed), 60 CNBG, 12 REB, and 40 Tilapia.

The reason for the tilapia is because they have no FHM right now. I asked her about this (because I heard they are prolific breeders and didn't understand why they would be out). Her answer was that they don't breed their own minnow, they get them out of ARKANSAS!!!! And that breeder is out right now. Anyhow, the tilapia are supposed to breed every 30 days, and die in the winter (so would need to be restocked after winter). This would give the bass something to eat.

When I asked about feeding (told her I figured I was going to have to feed at least for a little while), she said I can, but don't have to. I can get 100 CNBG for the same price of 75...so was thinking about increasing that number...but she had said they and the REB are ready to breed. The only thing I didn't like about the mix was the size of the hybrid bass. I was looking at LMB that were 2-3 inches...because I figured it would be awhile before they start eating everything else. But the hybrids are 8-10 inches...

She said the blue gill would do a better job of eating mosquito larvae than the FHM.

Anyhow, I need to figure out what the house captain has planned for tomorrow and see if we want to spend all day in the truck.

Sean

Sean, you most likely were speaking with the Overton Boss Lady - I can’t read minds but this is what I think:

7 – 8 HSB ....8 – 10 inches ..first year stocking, following year repeat same numbers and “ladder stock” going forward.
No feed – forage train HSB to target CNBG.

60 CNBG, no feed to control growth and numbers from over population.

12 REB (RES?) for snail control.

40 tilapia for FA control and forage for 8-10 inch LMB that will be over a pound this time next year.

Sounds similar to my past successful HSB/CNBG program.

You may need to stock one LMB in third year.
Sounds like a plan to me.

Good luck,
George

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Would it be normal for a fishery to take fish out of multiple tanks and put them in one bag?

Sean

Would it be normal for a fishery to take fish out of multiple tanks and put them in one bag?

Sean

Boburk,

I've never bought any that way...but if a fishery did, I think it would depend on the species, size, and the numbers of each.

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Sean, I have never seen it done that way.
Overton will double bag your fish with oxygen and place in a strong oard box, or your own contaiber if you wish.
Good luck,
G/

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You mean different species of fish, I'm supposing? Like mixing RES and BG together? ( I wouldn't mind that)

Last edited by sprkplug; 06/28/15 03:36 PM.

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Many years ago I worked in a pet store...and it was taboo. Each tank might have a different PH, temp, etc.

My fish from overton's... bass were in with the tilapia, red ear in with the CNBG. The bass and Redear did not seem to be doing well at release. Only thing I know I lost was a couple minnows.

I was not sure if all the tanks at the fishery were all connected somehow (had the same water) or not.

Sample of the redear I received below. Is it me, or does it not look well (skinnier than the blue gill)?

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 06/28/15 04:07 PM.
Sean,
I can't speak for Overtons, but if I had to guess, because of your purchase numbers, he was trying to save you a few $$$. My experience with fish is, some handle the ride better than others. I just try to get them to my BOW, get them acclimated, and get them introduced to their new ecosystem ASAP. I purchased and stocked CC and BC last Friday from Overtons. Upon arrival at my place, the CC seemed more lively than the BC....my pond temp was 94 degrees, so I grabbed the BC and stocked them in the deep end first...then the CC last...they all seem fine.
Charlie

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: stickem'

Sean

Boburk,

I've never bought any that way...but if a fishery did, I think it would depend on the species, size, and the numbers of each.

Guess, I'll have to back up a little - agree with Sparky - I have seen CNBG and RES combined and agree with stickem - "would depend on species, size, and the numbers of each".
G/

B
Boburk Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I saw some tilapia (at least I think that is what they were} near a cement block in the shallows when mowing this morning. Looked to be chaising each other and picking at the rock. I walked the bank this morning and didn't see any dead floating...

I found different methods for acclimation online. I floated for 15 mins in the shade, then added water to the bags every 15 mins. At the 45 minute mark some seemed to be gasping at the surface (the bass as an example). So...I started releasing shortly afterward by opening the bags one at a time to the pond and letting them swim out..or scouping out with a big mixing bowl so I could look at them and then releasing.

One of the bass hung on the bottom near the dock for a long time before it moved on.

Lots of boatmen in the pond right now, so don't know if they will take pellets or not (I would think they would rather eat bugs than pellets). I will try this evening and see.

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 06/28/15 06:52 PM.
Sean,
If you don't see them feed immediately, don't be alarmed. I stocked CNBG/RES mid - August last year and immediately began a pellet feeding regimen. I didn't see them hit the feed until 3 weeks later...not sure why. Maybe the fish were getting adjusted to their new environment. Just be careful not to introduce too much feed into your pond if it is not being consumed. Uneaten feed decomposing can cause oxygen depletion issues. Once you notice your fish responding to the feeder, you can always increase the amount. I didn't see my fish for months. I saw my first RES a couple of weeks ago.
Good luck,
Charlie

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM