Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,074
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (JasonInOhio, Theo Gallus, H20fwler, Shorthose, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O), 812 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I may try to use my small tractor as described to provide some emergency DO, thanks for the tip.

No, I haven't had a chance to report it to the DNR yet, but will. I'll keep you posted on what they say.

Yes, the black water areas smell bad. So an inversion seems likely, as sprkplug suggested. I guess the cooler rain water running in repeatedly cooled off the top layer enough to cause the bottom muck/anaerobic layer to invert, if I understand the process correctly.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
snrub #415870 06/17/15 08:04 PM
S
S

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
In my opinion this underscores the importance of bottom-diffused aeration, and not simply as a means to infuse additional O2 into the water column, but to ensure adequate mixing of the BOW in question. As you have unfortunately discovered, low O2 isn't the only thing we need to worry about.

I think it's possible to have adequate O2 for a BOW, and still poison the fish during a turnover. There's more to it than adding air.

Last edited by sprkplug; 06/17/15 08:10 PM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Misskiw67,

IMHO the cause of the kill is unknown. There have not been any DO or water chemistry tests run. Everything at this point is speculative. How do you fix something if you don't know what's wrong? Is there a rotten egg smell to the water? From what I gather, two things are different than in the past, an unusual amount of rain and a new housing project. How to know which is the culprit, or something else, without some basic tests. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Bill D.; 06/18/15 08:46 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Originally Posted By: DrLuke

No, I haven't had a chance to report it to the DNR yet, but will. I'll keep you posted on what they say.

Sorry, my question was for Misskiw67 regarding the DNR. smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 06/18/15 06:15 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Course my pond is only 1 acre but I have used in the past for a quick fix is a nice size trolling motor. Hook it to the end of the dock put a nice size marine battery on it and set it to like 3 and let it run. You will be surprised at how much water it will move and mix. Or if you have a small gas operated boat motor that would be good too. like a 7 or 10 horse. Get that water moving and mixing! That should help!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Reading through the threads and contemplating the speculations...my little mind brings me to what changes were made recently....then that brings me to something that stands out in my inexperience mind....may be nothing important but.....new neighborhood, summer time, grass cutting, fertilizer to make the grass and flowers grow, chemicals to kill ants and grass, chemicals starts to build up in soil, a lot of rain, run-off from the neighborhood that ends into the pond, fish dying where the water enters the pond...any others thinking on this same line or am I out there in the middle of the lake with my thoughts?

Couppe

I subscribe!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
To me, the most telling points right now are the black water, and the bad smell to the water.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Couppe yeah I mentioned that early on in my first post here but like spark says the black stinky water would concern me more anything. Maybe the fish are all over by where the water comes in cause that was the last area with any decent D.O. from the run off?? I don't know. Very hard to speculate.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Quick update from my pond: it appears we have not had a major kill (so far). Water clarity is better this morning, and no further black water areas or smell. Not sure if such a thing as 'partial inversion'? I'm still of course going to go to work on getting water analysis, and aeration and work on reducing sludge and nutrient load. Maybe we dodged a bullet so far..

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
RC51,

I overlooked your post, my apologies.......that will teach me to fly through a thread while at work...ha ha...very sorry....

DrLuke,
Hopefully all is still doing well?

I subscribe!
M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I am curious, has the DNR been out to your pond to see the kill and collect water samples?

So The DNR came out today, and in the meantime all the previous killed fish were eaten or sank, and we had another fish kill on Tuesday. It seems to be just 3-4 inch bluegill affected this time, I don't see any of the larger fish.

They took photos, asked if there were any cows around, and told me Sonar was the way to go for duckweed, even though we just discussed the massive amounts of inflow and outflow through my pond. I was less than impressed. I have another phone number to call and maybe the next guy will be more helpful.

My pond does not have any odor to the water, at least not from the side near the house.

My pond is hanging in there, with no evidence of overt or major fish kill. Unfortunately, we got almost 4 inches of rain again yesterday! This is making the water very turbid as you can imagine, as well as tearing apart the floating FA mats. My wife and I worked on raking off some of the mats the day before the next big rain, and the phrase 'peeing on a forest fire' comes to mind today...

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Misskiw67
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I am curious, has the DNR been out to your pond to see the kill and collect water samples?

So The DNR came out today, and in the meantime all the previous killed fish were eaten or sank, and we had another fish kill on Tuesday. It seems to be just 3-4 inch bluegill affected this time, I don't see any of the larger fish.

They took photos, asked if there were any cows around, and told me Sonar was the way to go for duckweed, even though we just discussed the massive amounts of inflow and outflow through my pond. I was less than impressed. I have another phone number to call and maybe the next guy will be more helpful.

My pond does not have any odor to the water, at least not from the side near the house.

I don't rely on gov guys for pond management advice in NE, maybe you should consider an industry professional. I'd advise calling Shawn Banks from Midwest Lake Management in Polo, MO. He is a trusted resource, industry expert, and a close friend of many of ours on the forum.

7561 SW Prairie Ridge Rd, Polo, MO 64671
(816) 721-9570
Shawn Banks (shawn@midwestlake.com)

Or call Nate Herman he may be closer, but he's also an expert and friend of the forum.

8911 N Prairie Point, Peoria, IL 61615
Phone:(309) 303-5691

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: DrLuke

Old BOW, deep in eutrophication process, lots of excess nutrients in water. This looks like a great candidate for the trash pump FA removal tool someone posted from youtube a while back. If you chemically treat it will die and decompose and only add more nutrients. Harvesting FA through a trash pump would be the way I'd attack this on such a large scale with a pontoon boat and barge. FA makes great fertilizer and soil amendment - you may even be able to sell it if you employ a little marketing ingenuity. 100% organic garden kelp!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

TJ, thanks for the heads up! I'm looking through youtube right now..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 10:22 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy