Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59
18,484 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,798
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (Knobber, shores41, Justin W, John Folchetti, Snipe, Sunil, FireIsHot, catscratch, Boondoggle, esshup, LeighAnn, canyoncreek), 960 guests, and 220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
T
I worked hard all my life to get what I have or wanted. And I would not walk away from it just because of some outlaws. First thing I would do is have a meeting with the local law and the local game warden. Buy their lunch if you can get that type of meeting. let them know your problem and ask them for help. Most likely the outlaws are well known. Set up the texting game cameras and follow up every time u get a text of trespassers. Take vacations there and weekends and prosecute every trespasser. If it continues after that then I would set traps for bear or lion in the area where they cross through or over. I might post a sign telling of traps set but I might not. Life is not easy and one must pick and choose your battles but I would choose to fight this one. I would not walk away.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
One more comment about the police....

When I had stuff stolen from my land, the police were helpful, but they also said they needed me to do my part which was to actually show up in court.

In other words, they need the citizens support to fully culminate their policing activities.

There are usually always some 'good' neighbors around with similar values and respect of private property.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

F
F
Never heard of the purple paint either. That may not hold up in court, or at least in all states.

We did put up signs high with ladders. They still got tore down. If you are hanging them on trees, it usually means fallen braches are lying around. Easy to reach up and smack them down. If that didn't work for them, they just shot the h-## out them!!!! Just be persistent....

If you get someone to watch over the place, I'd bring in an outside friend and give them privileges. I sure wouldn't approach someone you caught trespassing to help. They are unscrupulous already, do you think they can really be trusted when not watched carefully.

Having been thru multiple avenues in dealing with ridding trespassers and the grief and fear this gives, I now think that is better to stay firm/hardline and it ends quicker, in my experience. When we did the softer approach, it lasted 60+ years and never worked.

Sorry about the confusion. I must have visited one or two of the other states, besides Missouri.
Other states should adopt it. It's really taken off in here in Missouri. There's no question about where the property line is located, and the owners intent. I've heard it's enforced very well.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
C
Online Content
C
What did repo lots and impound lots used to use, guard dogs? Any way to use wild animals or dogs effectively?

I have a little problem in the back woods behind our property that people joy ride, walk their dogs, snowski, use ATVs, etc on the 2 track back there because it was 'free reign' for years before we moved in and built. Signs don't help. I'm considering posting a sign on the most commonly traveled paths in and out stating 'tire hazard, sharp objects ahead' or 'enter at your own risk, spike strips in use' Then at least if they come in on anything motorized they will have tire damage and an expensive tow truck bill.

Probably any warning sign will be ignored. Booby traps, hidden banks of poison tipped arrow launchers will just produce retailiation.

Probably cameras and frequent patrols by law enforcement is about all you can do.

D
D
Here in Ontario if you notify the provincial police they will periodically drop by when things are slow. If there is any trespassers they will fine them. They will keep fining them until the word gets out and people stop dropping by.

The fine gos against your drivers license and if you do not pay you loose your driving license.

Maybe fish and game will do this for you down there.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Here in Arkansas the purple paint on the trees means one thing. NOOOOO Trespassing it is enforced by law and is the same as having signs up. Cause with signs they could fall down or tear on their own by wind or rain or branches hitting them. Not a bad idea to have a both but anyone down here knows. Purple paint means keep off!!! Private Property!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Looks like my link is incomplete. Maybe more states allow the use of purple paint for marking no trespassing?

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh yeah here we not only have it on our private property but if you lease any land for hunting you can put it up all around your borders on your lease and it is backed by law!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Check your local laws or store for Purple Posting Paint. I'd venture to guess most states have adopted the purple paint as a "No Trespassing" warning. The purple paint has some fairly specific requirements, like painting trees or fence posts every 100' and certain distances off the ground...

I would also not allow some game warden or deputy try claiming a sign is needed at all. A person knows if they are not on their own property, and don't have permission, they are trespassing....no signage needed!

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
What did repo lots and impound lots used to use, guard dogs? Any way to use wild animals or dogs effectively?

I have a little problem in the back woods behind our property that people joy ride, walk their dogs, snowski, use ATVs, etc on the 2 track back there because it was 'free reign' for years before we moved in and built. Signs don't help. I'm considering posting a sign on the most commonly traveled paths in and out stating 'tire hazard, sharp objects ahead' or 'enter at your own risk, spike strips in use' Then at least if they come in on anything motorized they will have tire damage and an expensive tow truck bill.

Probably any warning sign will be ignored. Booby traps, hidden banks of poison tipped arrow launchers will just produce retailiation.

Probably cameras and frequent patrols by law enforcement is about all you can do.

Canyon, I hear you on the spike strips, but that will land you in prison pretty quickly! Reminds me of a guy in High School that had hands and wrists flexible enough to reach inside a soda machine to steal cans....we decided to cure him by running an extension cord inside the chute. When he grabbed the 110V, he looked like a cartoon character with his feet flipping in the air and all the jumping and flopping around he did...illegal as could be, but highly effective!

C
Online Content
C
what is illegal about creating a barrier to entry to your own private property? If that barrier is perceived (like a sign that warns of toxic waters or rabid animals that keeps people out) or physical (like a simple gate or tall fence), or seen but potentially dangerous (like barbed wire on top of a fence or spike strips?)

Isn't the beware of dog sign (which works by nature of the fact that they can't see the dog but likely he is there) similar to a beware of spike strips (also unseen but probably lurking under the dirt where they would have to choose to drive over them or not)?

I don't think anyone would get injured, although possibly if they were going very fast on their dirt bike and had a flat tire something could happen, where is the legality when damage occurs to their vehicle while they were trespassing?

Last edited by canyoncreek; 06/09/15 10:35 AM.
R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
If you own any guns I would suggest doing some plinking every single time you come to the farm. And not just a .22, fire off a 30 round mag or 3 pretty rapidly once or twice a day. If you do that every time you go to the place some people will stop messing around, especially if there are new "No Trespassing" signs up every week. It won't be 100% effective but shooting is fun and it will deter some.

F
F
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Check your local laws or store for Purple Posting Paint. I'd venture to guess most states have adopted the purple paint as a "No Trespassing" warning. The purple paint has some fairly specific requirements, like painting trees or fence posts every 100' and certain distances off the ground...

I would also not allow some game warden or deputy try claiming a sign is needed at all. A person knows if they are not on their own property, and don't have permission, they are trespassing....no signage needed!

There are specifics to how signs are to be placed too.

Yes, a person knows that they are not on their own property. But many times, a trespasser will say that they have permission to be on the neighbors property, and there was no way to tell where the line was. I say fuey, they should have been clearly informed/asked as to the property line before trudging around. However, to be fair signs are good ( and I think needed here, for court cases). Then I don't feel bad in any way about going to the full extent of the law.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
"Good fences make good neighbors." I always find it curious that those with the smallest properties are the least likely to know where their property boundaries are.

Last edited by RAH; 06/09/15 11:04 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I do want to amplify the positive effects of target practice on your land.

It helps to leave targets where you've seen trespassers, too.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Indiana has a regulation that if a trespasser is injured on your property you are not responsible BUT if there is a hazard on your property (like a bridge over a creek is in disrepair and they drive over it, injuring themselves) and you know about it, but don't do anything about it, then you ARE liable.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Sunil
I do want to amplify the positive effects of target practice on your land.It helps to leave targets where you've seen trespassers, too.

Sunil...this is what we have on our front gate...subtle message.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Rainman

Hmmm. Might that not require intuitive reasoning on the part of the trespasser/ game warden? It wasn't spelled out in black and white, like a sound law should be. wink

Last edited by sprkplug; 06/09/15 11:59 AM.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Scattering fresh bones about seems to work as a deterrent and works in most languages too.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Ya'll got me so stirred up about these scumbag trespassers and other meth lab losers...

I'm browsing the internet looking at these prefab units.

Maybe find an old retired guy to live on our place
for free and sit on the porch with a shotgun.

Wouldn't be a bad gig for the right person.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Its more fun to do yourself...

F
F
I'm with you, stories like this get my blood boiling. I am not a reasonable man when I'm pissed off. I had a nice little cabin in the woods that my wife and I had built by ourselves. We ended up selling it to a friend when we needed some money and not long after that some local scumbags burnt it down just for the kicks when it had sat unoccupied for a time. They should be shot.

I'm more like a pond servant.
I
I
Why go through all this hassle when you can get out of it easily? If it was maybe family land and there was some sentimental value I can see fighting. There's no way in hell I'd want to hire someone or have someone stay out on my property just to watch it. This is most likely your DREAM land, that's no dream.

Also, I'm all for guns, I have several and a permit to carry but I can damn near guarantee these thugs have guns as well. You really want to get into it with a bunch of meth head drug dealers that are mostly armed? You or a family member could seriously get killed. They could burn your cabin down. A lot of stuff could happen. I know those examples are extreme but it does happen. You want to take the chance?

Not worth it. Sell it and buy something else. Before you buy something new I'd ask around about the neighbors. Can you move a little closer to a property?

I
I
Ironic, I mention having your cabin burnt down and FishyFishy saw it firsthand.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
'Nother New Guy
by John Folchetti - 04/19/24 11:40 AM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 11:34 AM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail