Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TropicalKoi, Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B
18,486 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,816
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Bigtrh24, Theo Gallus, Joe7328, Bill Cody, Theschack), 803 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#407401 04/09/15 09:20 PM
I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
My pond is now about half a year old and is a little over an acre and a half. The soil was high in clay content. The dam has a compacted core that went down over 12 feet below the stream bottom we dammed up. The pond bowl was shaped and marginally compacted just by the nature of driving around on it with the dozers and trackhoe. Areas of soil ended up fairly loose, especially in the back which I assume is helpful for all the emergent plants I'm starting in the back. I was planting some spatterdock and waded in and would sink into the clay/silt in some places almost up to a foot. It wasn't this soft before it filled up. My goal is to get the back filled in with spatterdock, lily, iris, various sedges, rushes, swamp milkweek, pickler weed, etc for looks and habitat. The whole pond gets fairly muddy after heavy rains but I figure that will quit once I get some real good vegetation going. It clears back after a couple weeks back to green.

Can I expect the soil to stay this loose or will it settle down over time and compact a little so it's easier to walk on? My dog who was formerly terrified of water has now become quite the water bug and loves to run around in about a foot of water stirring up the clay on the bottom. Will this end up getting covered in algae or anything that will limit how much clay she stirs up or is there anything else I can do? I have grass coming up around the pond perimeter.

David Clapper
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Interplexr, I am afraid the soils there will always be soft, but should settle a little over time since they were never originally compacted. In time, much of the loosest soils will migrate to the deepest parts of the pond as fish move them around plus from wind/wave action.

As for planting spatterdock, are you aware it is a fast spreading, highly invasive plant? It can take over an entire pond in a single season.

I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
I understood it to be similar to water lilies and that it can only go so deep. My goals are to have the back end filled with plants but as the pond gets deep it can't spread. I figured I'd be having to work to keep that and lilies in check though. I was thinking pulling them as they started moving where I didn't want. Hopefully it won't be unmanageable.

David Clapper
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
It provides a lot of benefits in a pond for habitat. Depth it will grow in depends mainly on water clarity. Once established and rooted, it can become very expensive to control, even more expensive to eradicate. The speed with which it can overtake a pond's shoreline and shallows can be mind boggling.

"Pulling" can spread it, as it grows from roots, rhizomes, seeds, and possibly fragmentation from cuttings. There is no known biological control and Spatterdock can be cut and the rhizomes can be dug up but physical control is difficult to impossible because it can reestablish from seeds or remaining rhizomes.

Last edited by Rainman; 04/10/15 11:46 AM.

I
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
I
Is water lily as bad?

David Clapper
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Some lily species are very invasive, some are not. Most Winter hardy lotus are great. Hopefully Bill Cody will chime in on this. Bill knows his lily and lotus!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Spadderdock can initially appear as a good plant. Once it becomes well established with rhizomes 3"-4" diameter and 8'-10 ft long and growing into 10ft of water you will only control them with chemicals. No pulling and digging will ever get them under control. I would also stay away from lotus - all types. They are also fast spreaders in soft soils.

For hardy hybrid lilies look into the small and medium spreading types for slower growers and use the large spread varieties that will spread out quicker and grow deeper 6-8ft. Very few of the hardy hybrids will spread anywhere near as fast as spadderdock or wild white water lilies. You will be much happier with hardy lilies compared to spadderdock. They cost a little more but the long term benefit and lack of headaches long term make them well worth the money. I've fought with spadderdock, wild white water lily and lotus - never again.

For hybrids look into pink & white sensation, red paradise, red sensation, Attraction, Peter slocum (big pink), unnamed pink is economical, Colorado, Sulphurea (yellow), Charlene Strawn (Y). Some of the large spread hardy hybrid yellows & whites can grow into 7 to 8ft of water. All can easily be controlled with glyphosate based aquatic herbicides. Perry's Water Gardens in N.Carolina have very good quality and a large selection of hardy hybrid water lilies. I got almost all my 15 varieties lilies from them. Also shop at http://texaswaterlilies.com/

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/10/15 08:50 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Theo Gallus - 04/20/24 10:31 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/20/24 10:27 AM
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM