Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,064
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,408
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
20 members (bstone261, Bing, esshup, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer), 691 guests, and 167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#404903 03/22/15 01:10 PM
V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Does anyone have PK Shrimp for sale to ship to me in Ohio? Fattig Fish Farm seems to have gone out of business.

Lunker
Lunker
Did you try calling them? It could be that their website is just down for some reason or other.

(308) 584-3451

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I called and left messages twice with no response. I also talked to a pond stocking place in Tennessee that said he thought they may have gone out of business as well. I talked to Carol in the late Fall and she was going to sell me some, but the ponds froze over before she could get them seined. I hope she is still in business. I will keep trying, but if anyone else knows of a place let me know. Thanks!

Leaders take people where they want to go. Great leaders take people where they don't want to go, but need to go.
Just a thought, maybe they are just still closed for the winter and will reopen when they can start seining and have product to sell?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
That could be for sure. I will keep trying.

Leaders take people where they want to go. Great leaders take people where they don't want to go, but need to go.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I'll try carol tomorrow or her sisters. Hang tight.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Thanks... I appreciate that!

Lunker
Lunker
I have reached out to Carol and family - they were having issues with their website a year ago - offered to help get them back on board but never heard back - that was November. Good people, but were struggling with decision to keep things going at the hatchery after Dale passed. Carol is running it solo - lots of work...I will keep you all apprised.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
Thanks for the update TJ, let us know, I was hoping to place an order this spring.

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
From all I've seen (mostly from this site), there is no downside to PK shrimp. I am thinking about making a breeding tank and raising them for restocking. Has anyone on this forum done this successfully? Also, IS there any downside to the shrimp?

Lunker
Lunker
Zero downside to grass shrimp. They feed on detritus and are a great secondary forage source. Several Northern fisheries featuring quality Walleye, Yellow Perch, and Northern rely almost solely on a similar species - freshwater scuds - and flourish. Scuds and shrimp are great additions to any fishery IMO - I love them and stock them in all my ponds and my clients ponds, too.

Lunker
Lunker
Steve just come out sometime to my place, don't need to buy any...we can get some for you provided they are shallow. I have my best luck collecting in the Fall, but I'm sure we can figure something out even if it's early in the season. If you can ID any Male RES you can spare I need a dozen or so to clean up snails in the upper ponds. If they're feed trained that's ok too! If not, no worries, you're still welcome to some of my babies.

C
C
Hope Carol can still find a way to fill some orders. I had emailed her a week ago or so to place an order and did not hear back!

I hope to start some cultures inside for freshwater scuds and from time to time restock my pond.

Lunker
Lunker
I just spoke with Carol - lots going on - trying to help them out. For now it appears they will not be in business. I will do what I can to assist. Will check back in soon. Worse case I'll try to pick up the slack and dedicate a cell to Grass Shrimp and try to fill orders this year. Next day air freight is killer - gotta figure a way to go 2 day ground and keep them alive. Gonna take some experimentation.

Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
I hope to start some cultures inside for freshwater scuds and from time to time restock my pond.

I saw this idea in a thread a while back if ya don't already have a plan.

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Here is what I found on the web of how to grow a culture of scuds.
1) Fill a plastic garbage can or an aquarium with aged water. Place about 5cm (2 inches) of dried leaves. Most tree leaves are good, but you should avoid oak leaves. Dried mulberry leaves are excellent. Place the container is a sunlit location. Aerate the water lightly. Scuds can survive winters outside in most of North America, but reproduce best at 20-30°C (68-86°F).
2) Add a starter culture of Gammarus; a few dozen will be enough.
3) Scuds feed on rotting leaves and microorganisms take grow on any surface. Provide adequate surface area to increase the population size by placing rolled up plastic screening in the culture container. The author uses plastic coated water cooling pads.
4) Within four weeks there will be enough scuds to harvest. Harvest by netting them with a fish net or by picking up the plastic screening or cooling pads and shaking over a bucket.
5) Feed the culture with additional leaves as they are consumed or decompose. Periodic, partial water changes are beneficial.
6) Cultures are long-lasting and sub-culturing is necessary only when production declines. Nevertheless, it is wise to maintain a replicate culture in case of a disaster.

I think the culture would need to be aerated to keep it from going anoxic, loosing the DO from the decomposing leaves and killing all the scuds thus his suggestion of a replicate or duplicate culture.

[Linked Image]
R
RER Offline
R
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I just spoke with Carol - lots going on - trying to help them out. For now it appears they will not be in business. I will do what I can to assist. Will check back in soon. Worse case I'll try to pick up the slack and dedicate a cell to Grass Shrimp and try to fill orders this year. Next day air freight is killer - gotta figure a way to go 2 day ground and keep them alive. Gonna take some experimentation.

Pure o2 in the bag does wonders, I bet you could get two days if you put them in nice clean water then pure O2.
Maybe dont feed them for a day or so to lower waste in the bag.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Lunker
Lunker
Purge for at least 3 days - good tip. 2/3 O2 and 1/3 well water? Pond water? Distilled water?

TJ,

If you get this going in the future, please post back and let us know. I think there are a lot of folks that would like to get some, including me! smile

[Linked Image]
Lunker
Lunker
I've helped facilitate a few dozen sales with Dale for the forum, he was getting up there and had issues remembering orders, multiple shipping instructions, etc. so I did what I could to coordinate. It kinda became an annual tradition I would call with several thousand shrimp sent all over the US to my pond boss bros, even after Dale passed. Now Carol is working the farm solo and it's too much for her alone. No margins to afford help, just keeps the bills paid on the farm, and she's not making a dime. She's trying to honor Dale's pricing established with me years ago and can't make it work.

I'm going to try and help with some new fish ideas [BNM, SFS, LCS] and develop the Pond Boss market if possible. I'm sure we can beat the $4/ea price from other sources online and make sure everyone is 100% legal to import fish from another state with disease certification, etc. Wish me luck - I'm gonna need it - long haul uphill.

C
C
TJ,
Carol had the system down pat she may be able to tell you. She used standard USPS 2 day shipping in a medium (maybe large?) flat rate box. she had green foam board I'd guess 3/8" thickness cut to line the bottom and inside 4 sides of the box. Then a bag with maybe only 4" of water in the bottom with my PK shrimp, nothing but the native water they were in that looked a bit greenish, but no plants, leaves etc. Not sure if they needed oxygen, perhaps she put some in she would know. The bag was not under any pressure like my other shipped items come when there is oxygen in the bags. Then a green styrofoam lid and taped the top. It helped that she shipped when the ambient temp was cooler (spring or fall best).

She said flat rate using priority mail was 2 day delivery from her zip to mine in Michigan. Weather was cool, came on time, no losses. USPS flat rate boxes might be the ticket for at least some customers. I think my shipping was $40-45 if I recall.

I'd love to place another order.

Bill D your instructions are good, they apply to scuds (Gammarus sp)

I am told by sellers that ghost shrimp or PK shrimp are larger and more tolerant of lower oxygen conditions that may occur during shipping.

Scuds are smaller and more dependent on water and oxygen conditions to be right for survival.

The quote below is from an email I had from a seller of scuds:

PK Shrimp also require less oxygen than adult freshwater scuds (Gammarus sp). I would not ship a gallon of Gammarus in a flat rate box nor a gallon that would take two days to arrive...you would have dead shrimp. We ship a gallon of Gammarus in a 5 gallon styro pail which is 1 gallon of shrimp and 4 gallons of water...if this package arrives in two days due to UPS messing up the order, then the shrimp are dead.

I've helped facilitate a few dozen sales with Dale for the forum, he was getting up there and had issues remembering orders, multiple shipping instructions, etc. so I did what I could to coordinate. It kinda became an annual tradition I would call with several thousand shrimp sent all over the US to my pond boss bros, even after Dale passed. Now Carol is working the farm solo and it's too much for her alone. No margins to afford help, just keeps the bills paid on the farm, and she's not making a dime. She's trying to honor Dale's pricing established with me years ago and can't make it work.

I'm going to try and help with some new fish ideas [BNM, SFS, LCS] and develop the Pond Boss market if possible. I'm sure we can beat the $4/ea price from other sources online and make sure everyone is 100% legal to import fish from another state with disease certification, etc. Wish me luck - I'm gonna need it - long haul uphill.

The prize at the top of that hill might surprise everybody. IMHO I personally think you will have so many folks standing in line for those much sought after but hard to get resources, there is no way you will be able to keep up with demand.

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/24/15 08:46 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Lunker
Lunker
Steve just come out sometime to my place, don't need to buy any...we can get some for you provided they are shallow. I have my best luck collecting in the Fall, but I'm sure we can figure something out even if it's early in the season. If you can ID any Male RES you can spare I need a dozen or so to clean up snails in the upper ponds. If they're feed trained that's ok too! If not, no worries, you're still welcome to some of my babies.

I will see what I can do with the male RES.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty

I will see what I can do with the male RES.

I'll run a net this weekend and ping you. Might be another couple months. Don't worry about the res unless it's convenient and obvious.

Lunker
Lunker
It is still a little early, late May or early June is probably the best time to try to sex RES. I am pretty sure the big RES in my aquarium is male but it should become more obvious as the days get longer. I'm guessing close to 9" now, was 4"+ last June when I seined it out of the pond. My best guess is that three of the four I have indoors at the moment are male RES.

V
vosler Offline OP
OP Offline
V
You guys are great!!! Hope things work out. I'm certainly willing to pay an amount that makes it profitable. The only reason anyone even knows about PK shrimp is this site. If we can help Carol, we should...as a group. I didn't know Dale, but I have followed threads on this for a couple of years. Seems like they always tried to help us out. When I called Carol in the Fall, she was willing to send me shrimp with only my word I would send her the money even though I had never been a customer. I was just too late in the year and the ponds froze over before she could seine them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:28 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:23 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump