Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,106
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,502
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (DPSMESA, Pat Williamson, papereater, Ibanez540r, gautprod, Sunil, bmo), 1,124 guests, and 225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: JKB
Texas people have to pick on Northern people. It's in their blood.

But JKB the Yanks must like it...as many as have moved down here! wink

They were just bailing out when the economy collapsed up here.

When automotive dumped, a lot of people left the state. Companies were dropping like flies. One day you wake up and find the doors closed with no advance notice. Happened to quite a few people.

Last edited by JKB; 03/11/15 08:15 AM.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
JKB I've worked with quite a few Northern transplants over the years. Most of the ones that I've met that fled the North are pretty good hard working folks. Except for talking "funny" when they first get here like calling a "creeeeek" a "crick" or a "roooof" a "ruff" they're mostly ok. laugh

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Keep loosing my posts.

Michigan Charter is going to include Fatih, Lovingliving, Esshup, and myself.

It will be toward the end of the trip, so good timing.

Keep loosing my posts.

Michigan Charter is going to include Fatih, Lovingliving, Esshup, and myself.

It will be toward the end of the trip, so good timing.

Thank you, JKB! My bucket list is about to get much shorter! This is crazy, and I know Fatih is overwhelmed with the offers and generosity so many of you have shown!

Fatih and I Skyped (that is so cool!) for nearly an hour today, and what a neat guy! I'm also lucky enough to be able to travel with him for around 30 days of his trip, likely beginning in GA (unless he changes his mind after our Skype visit wink ).

This guy wants to fish!!! And catch as many different species as possible, making a documentary along the way to show his friends and family back in Turkey who don't have the same fish/fishing opportunities that we do.

There are many states Fatih would like to visit so once he has a list narrowed down, which so far may include NY, VA, GA, the Carolina's, FL (Miami for Peacock Bass), possibly TX (and who knows what in between), IN, IL, MI, etc., I may be asking for some help or direction from anyone willing to be on a calling list if we're in your area, for recommended fishing/fishing holes, and to be sure we don't end up somewhere we don't want to be!

This is Fatih's trip and I'm lucky enough to be along for the ride, and will not impose on offers any of you make with Fatih, but also want to help when and wherever I can!

Thanks in advance and I'm sure Fatih (or myself) will keep you posted!

PB Rocks!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Put me in the ranks of the transplants, at least temporarily. I just wish the summers weren't so dang hot.

Zep, I don't talk near as funny as some guys that I hunted with over in TN that grew up in the hills and hollers. laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yep, there's a difference. Southerners think fast but talk slow.

Yankees? Well, never mind I can't hear as fast as they talk.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 03/11/15 06:26 PM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Yep, there's a difference. Southerners think fast but talk slow.

Yankees? Well, never mind I can't hear as fast as they talk.

Us Yankees tolerate these slow talking crazies like Dave, but we also love them like brothers. They are amongst our closest circle of friends.

Faith -- I'm glad you got to spend time in our country before your upcoming trip. We may joke with each other over small things, and this has to include our very close Canadian friends and neighbors. No matter what the international news might say about us, we remain very friendly with all, and accept nearly every one.

I'm hoping I can get to meet you on your voyage.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: esshup
I just wish the summers weren't so dang hot.

me too esshup. I hate both weather extremes.
my brother in San Fran tells me I should move out there.
i like San Fran but could never do that.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Dates are narrowing down. Hopefully a schedule soon, but MI appears to be the last destination on the trip. Save the best for last wink

Spark,
You want in on this? You can ride up with Scott and have my slot.

I'll be there keeping an eye on the pilot wink

Sorta cleaned my apartment and ended up with a box full of money, so the charter is covered for everyone.

Spark, it would be a pleasure!

C
CMM Offline
C
JKB,

I offered Fatih a room in West Central Missouri if needed. His traveling companions are welcome. Sounds like you guys are going to have a blast.
Cmm

CMM

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Pretty cool CMM!

This needs to get organized, but have a good time frame down.

From what I understand at this time is the last stop will be Lake St. Clair for Muskie.

Just a brief update as we will begin another thread about the "Cast-A-Ways across the U.S"., but Fatih and I have been emailing daily and have narrowed down the dates, and states we'll be traveling to, hitting various states and places in between.

Fatih will arrive in NY on June 1st, do some fishing and visiting with friends, and I will meet up with him June 11th or 12th in Georgia. From there we will travel to (possibly) Jacksonville, Miami and fish the flats and backcountry of the Florida Keys since we're so close. From there we will make our way to Texas if we can find enough places to fish, to justify the long distance. After TX we will make our way North stopping in Missouri, then to Illinois, Indiana and ultimately Michigan with Fatih needing to be back in NY around July 12th-14th. During our travels, we've decided to not set any dates completely in stone except when to arrive in MI, as we have no idea if we'll decide to stay somewhere longer than planned.

For the both of us, the excitement level is off the charts! And I wish I could be more of a fishing guide for Fatih, but we will be visiting states and places neither one of us has been before. Fishing the unknown fishes grin .

Once I can figure out a way to develop a thread showing a table or list with our tentative itinerary, I will get it posted. So any ideas on making or developing that would be appreciated.

Again, a huge thank you to those who have made various offers to help, and for any of those which are stops along the way, they too will be shown on the map/list/chart.

I'm really excited about meeting Fatih, let alone spending 30 days or more with him on this trip. So if you see that we'll be in your area, I hope you'll be able to meet him as well!

Thanks again and we'll get a new thread started soon.

Keith

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Dates are narrowing down. Hopefully a schedule soon, but MI appears to be the last destination on the trip. Save the best for last wink

Spark,
You want in on this? You can ride up with Scott and have my slot.

I'll be there keeping an eye on the pilot wink

Sorta cleaned my apartment and ended up with a box full of money, so the charter is covered for everyone.

Spark, it would be a pleasure!

Just saw this. Very generous offer JKB, and I thank you! But I have a confession to make. I don't do well when I can't see shore...and not that kind of shore that the mate points to when you ask him, either.

Shore, REAL shore, has rocks and trees and dirt. It's not a supermodel-thin sliver of brown, barely distinguishable against the horizon between the water and the sky.

Matter-of-fact, when on a boat I'm most comfortable when I can still easily identify the species of tree.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Matter-of-fact, when on a boat I'm most comfortable when I can still easily identify the species of tree.

I kind a like to be close enough to those trees I can still screw up and hang my bait in the branches when I cast...... grin

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/15/15 08:24 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I have a confession to make. I don't do well when I can't see shore...

me2 sprkplug

2EachHisOwn but i took my last deep sea fishing trip a couple of years ago

I knew I was in trouble when the lady behind the counter stated
"we really shouldn't be going out today but after being too rough
the last 2 days we need the money
"

it took about 3 hours to get out to where we were going to fish
lots of people sea-sick puking
luckily i didn't get sick
but the all day trip ended with me not even wetting a hook

i'll take the bayou with gators any day over the deep sea stuff

G
G
The only time in my life that I have actually entertained the thought of committing suicide was during my one and only offshore fishing trip.................... Since that day, eating at Long John Silver’s is the closest I've come to offshore fishing, or suicide.

Good luck on your road trip, guys..... Sounds like fun. smile

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Understandable Spark.

I can't tell you how many charters we've taken out, but can say it's not for everyone.

Most people enjoy themselves and have fun, but people do get sick, and it can be like a chain reaction on others.

There have been a couple of times that we've never made it much past the pier and had to turn around. Everyone got sick.

I doubt we'll be more than a couple miles out in July, you can still see shore, but it could also get rough.

A good captain will put you on fish, and not take chances, so that's why you need someone with experience.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I agree JKB...most people have a great time on the charters and catch lots of fish.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You guys!! smile

I used to go out on long range trips where we'd leave the dock and not get back for days. Longest one was a 10 day trip. I liked those trips. No interruptions except for fish making drags scream.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Thanks, Scott smile

That's a little more encouraging, and although I've never needed it maybe dramamine should make the trip! I guess one never knows until the time arrives.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
maybe dramamine should make the trip!

Lovnlivin you should be fine
but I took dramamine before my deep sea trip..and it worked
I saw lots of people get sick..i think once you get sick its too late
some of them were big bad-azz biker dudes heaving over the sides
heck why not take it in advance...what can it hurt?

I was out with a buddy of mine that actually turned green. The old Thai boat captain, apparently use to tourists getting sick, had him put on a life vest and get in the water for awhile. It actually worked and my buddy felt a lot better. Problem was convincing him he needed to get back in the boat!

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/16/15 08:32 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Bill that's a neat concept...never heard of that.

I think I read somewhere if you stare at the horizon it helps.

Many years ago I got sick as a dog just going out
to Catalina Island off the Cali coast, but I was
hung-over that morning and when I got on the boat
I ate some donuts and fell asleep...OMG when I woke up
from my nap was I sick! Once I got on land on Catalina
I was fine and I didn't get sick on the return trip.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
You're right Zep.

Excessive alcohol the night before played a role in a number of people getting sick, which probably would have otherwise been OK.

Clients were mailed info with what to expect, what to bring, medical conditions we need to know about..., about Dramamine, and about booze.

You could bring canned beverages on-board, and that included beer. Took out one group that was partying all night long. They had a different definition of what a can was, one big can! Well, that didn't happen, but they were well prepared with smaller cans. Three of those guy's were out sick before we got out of the channel, and the last guy wasn't standing very long once we cleared the pier head. That was our shortest trip, and these were big tough guys. I had to clean it up sick

Most people also got sick in the morning while it's still dark out. Not sure if the darkness played a major role, but you can't see too well what your body is feeling. If the lake is rough, you'll feel it going thru the channel. If you are getting queezy at that point, you might just chum the water. I can't remember too many people having a rough time on the afternoon trips, but there were a few.

I think everyone will be fine.
Try Dramamine out beforehand to see how it effects you, but check with your doc first!!! Not everyone can take that stuff.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've spent a lot of time on the Great Lakes, inland seas like the Chesapeake Bay and Mediterranean, and the Seven Seas. I probably started before I was 5 y.o. on Lake Superior. Also six years in the U.S. Navy and a lot of hours in my teens and 20s in small private aircraft. I'm probably fortunate because my inner ears became accustomed to such motion as a very young kid.

From my experience, most people do not have a problem until things get really rough. Even then, if precautions like Dramamine, or the newer patches are used, most people don't have problems.

As said in an above post -- no, or very minimal alcohol the night before, and a non-greasy light breakfast.

Take soda crackers with you to munch on. Stay outside and look at the horizon.

Whatever you do, if you feel like you might be getting sick, don't go below decks. It will only make it worse, and you will pay a heavy monetary price for any cleanup. That is what the deck railings are for.

I sure wouldn't worry about it on Lake Michigan in June. Unless a typhoon descends from Canada, the chances of heavy weather at that time of year are fairly slim.

If you don't get motion sickness in a car, on a commercial airplane, or in a kayak going down a river with lots of rapids, you will only have a problem if you let your brain say you should think about getting sick. Think -- "out of mind, out of sight".

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Page 4 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by DPSMESA - 05/01/24 06:40 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:13 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!
by Pat Williamson - 05/01/24 06:09 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice