Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,592
Members18,538
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,607
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, GhostRiver, Knobber, WiYeti, Champ59, catscratch, Shorthose, ghdmd, Sunil, Tinylake, esshup), 1,053 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Did anyone ever find out about absentee bidding? I see George has signed those flies.......

I want in!!!! The money is going for a good cause. Why not try to maximize it? I understand it adds logistics to the effort but, if the bidder understands he is paying both shipping and handling, can that be managed?

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/16/15 08:02 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can take care of the logistics regarding shipping - I'm staying in Texas for a number of weeks after the conference and I'm sure I can hit a post office after the conference.

Tony, compared to the storm that I drove in on Saturday, today was a dry, sunny day!

I'm in the hotel for the night in Evansville, IN. Tomorrow I have to fight my way thru Memphis on my way to Wynn, AR.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Oh, BTW, the syrup is great. I took a sip outta each bottle. laugh

Tony, the kudos goes to you. You made it, bottled it, and delivered it to me!! You drove thru the same stuff that I did.

Last edited by esshup; 02/16/15 08:11 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I'm not sure if it's been decided but IME money talks...

For us online guys that can't make it, If it's decided to auction off site, I will go on record and start the bid for one of Georges Flies at $500 (and I will pay for delivery. wink )

Last edited by mnfish; 02/16/15 08:15 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Al, you got competition!

I can be a proxy bidder if you want. LMK the max and I'll call ya when the bidding is over.

If there is on-line bidding - maybe the flies should be photographed with a number next to each one so that if a person wants a specific fly they can bid by item number?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Stong, mnfish.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
YEP! A George tied Fly combined with helping the foundation...no brainer...A little throw down to all the other guys thinking about bidding on this awesome cause. wink

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
So is the silent auction going to happen for us unfortunate souls that can't make it? I can see Scott with like 4 cell phones taking off site bids. lol

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
laugh

Been there, done that at some auctions. Things get busy quick even with 2 phones! wink

I don't know if it will happen or not, somebody's gotta pester Bob.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: esshup
If there is on-line bidding - maybe the flies should be photographed with a number next to each one so that if a person wants a specific fly they can bid by item number?

That would be a good idea. I was thinking numbering the signature card with Georges signature. Limited Edition!

George, those flies are great!!!

Al, you got competition!...

Competition? I think mnfish hit a walk off home run first at bat.

Outstanding bid for a great cause.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
He did!

Here's what the trailer looks like after day 1 on the road:

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Okay, boys!
Let that bidding begin! Scott, you are the official auctioneer for those items in the silent auction that folks here on the forum wish to bid on.

George, we'll see you Thursday night and talk about minimum bids and how we want to work on that. mnfish, I suspect you just bought a very special piece of artwork...signed, too!

Scott, I'll be at the hotel tomorrow by 3:00, so if you want to match up and come up with a game plan, we can do that whenever you arrive. I can see the moderators keeping everyone in the loop as the conference goes.

George, it's a great honor for you to be able to attend, even for a short time. Hard to believe you're knocking on the door of 90, and you'll be there! Kudos! You'll be surrounded by Pond Boss family. It'll be a good time.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Here are all 6 flies tied by George for PB VI. If you want a particular fly, they're numbered across and down, 1 through 6, with 1 being in the top left fly, and 6 being the bottom right fly. George will be at the meet and greet Thursday night, and will sign and date all 6 flies.

I also included a closeup.

Again, a great cause, and all monies bid will be in Dr. Willis memory with proceeds going to the SDSU Jesse West Foundation. Guys, this is a great way to help the best and the brightest kids keep moving forward, and advance the research that will help direct the future of pond ownership.

AL

Is there a number we need to call to get a bidder number or something?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I'll go $100.00 on #3 as I have them laid out in the pic, based on Al's description above.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm here at the hotel now with the maple syrup. I'll get together with Bob in the morning and work out a game plan.

I better get up to speed quick, I don't even know what day the auction is!! laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
C
esshup you set it up how it works best for you, but in my experience being involved in silent auctions before, there was a value to having it truly 'silent' Meaning for sure it is better if you do not know who you are bidding against (keep silent who the high bidder is on any particular item) and in some cases it was even good to keep the top bid silent too! That way if you really wanted it you had to go high and hope you went high enough.

But since there are multiples of the same thing, then not all the flies will go for the same price.

So perhaps you number them as in JKB's posting.

Then you open bidding (now, or at some appointed time) and every 2-4 hours or so you just post what each fly bid is up to. You pick a close time and maybe post every 10-15 min in the last hour or if the bids are going up furiously.

If the bidders at the PB get together have a white board or marker board with a running tally of the totals then they can see progress from silent bidders who are not there. Those present can submit slips of paper with their bidder number or name into a closed box or simply hand them to you and every so often those bids are added to the tally sheet that is posted. You will have a paper trail from bids from those at the conference and in your private message box from those of us who are not.

Those of us not there can send you a private message adding our bids and you can update the marker board or posted scorecard. You could take a picture of the score sheet or marker board to make it easy to keep us posted on what the bids are up to on each fly.

At our school auction that i was involved with over several years we had 2 bid rooms with stuff, one had a white board with item numbers and the current bid and we submitted paper bids with only the current total going up on the marker board. The other room worked like this and then in the last 15 min of the auction the current value that the item was going for was hidden so people had some idea where they were at but then had to just pick a number well above that and hope they won smile

For what the ideas are worth...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OK. What I'll do is have the laptop in the room with the items, and post what the running items are. The auction will run from 5:00PM to 8:30 pm Central Time Saturday.

Al already put up the pictures of the flies.

Here are the pictures of the Maple Syrup. They are numbered 1, 2,3 and 4. The numbers correspond to the "run" numbers on the jars. #1 is the lightest syrup, #4 is the darkest. I'll let Tony fill in the details and nuances on each run.

It might be easier to send Text Messages to the people that want stuff. No later than 5 minutes before the end of the auction, text me your highest bid and I'll make sure that it is gets on the card. If I know of a higher bid, I'll text you back and let you know if you want to adjust your "highest" bid. I think that will work quicker than me trying to carry around my laptop and look at PM's on the forum.

PM me your phone numbers and what you want to bid on, and the amount. If you go to the Hoosier Pond Pros website, the phone number is listed there. 574-806-_ _ _ _

Text me your forum name, real name, contact information, item(s) you want to bid on, and the highest amount you want to bid. That way I can have someone from the Pond Boss Office contact the winning bidders and get their payment information. I'll do the packaging and shipping (I think Priority Mail will be the easiest). I'll use the smallest flat rate box that the item will fit in. I prefer to use a box vs. a padded envelope - a bit more protection that way.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the info on what a silent auction is. I'm use to the online auctions that are like a cross between Chess and Poker, and I'm not talking about ebay wink

I guess we all know what the opener is on Georges fly #3, and that is at least in the bank for SDSU.

Kinda have my eye on a jar of Tony's motor oil.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yeah, yeah, yeah. grin Sent you a PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yeah, yeah, yeah. grin Sent you a PM.

Smartass you say grin

Just trying to define things wink

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: mnfish
I'm not sure if it's been decided but IME money talks...

For us online guys that can't make it, If it's decided to auction off site, I will go on record and start the bid for one of Georges Flies at $500 (and I will pay for delivery. wink )

Which one? Never bid on anything unless there is a clear definition of what you are actually bidding on.

Is there a list of things up for auction that I missed somewhere or is the absentee auction for the flies and syrup only?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Only see those two for now. I don't think they planned on this.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
I think I killed all my fish
by WiYeti - 05/21/24 01:57 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 05/21/24 01:08 PM
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13