Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
JKK, DerekG, lafarmpondguy, bmo, TanyaClick
18,512 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,985
Posts558,202
Members18,513
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, Bobbss, anthropic, Boondoggle, FishinRod), 686 guests, and 168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
B
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I consider pistols(for some reason I've accumulated a lot of them) to be virtually useless when you really need to use a firearm. That said, I would never carry a knife to a gun fight. BTW, I can't hit anything with a pistol anyway. That means that some danged expensive short guns are closet queens.

Agreed. Our 12ga 870s are our go to firearm of choice. 3, 8 or 9 projectiles equals much higher chance of hitting the target versus a single projectile. If we could have only one, it would be a shotgun.

B
B
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I carry my pistol because of yotes that kill the fawns and deer @ my place. The FNL 5.57 is a very fast, long distance and flat shooting bullet, and gives me the distance I might need. And a couple of years ago I found cougar tracks one of my wildlife food plots and I have a picture (from a game camera) of a doe that looked to have been attacked from what I thought was this cougar. I also carry because I hate the Western Water Moccasin's that live @ my place. They have a very bad attitude so I want to be on equal ground with them.

Something extraordinary would have to occurred for a doe to escape from a cougar. I would liken that matchup to that of a semi versus a bicycle. lol

FnH's Five-SeveN pistol is indeed a multi-purpose pistol. It does well at distance due to the flat trajectory of the 5.7x28mm round, while the low recoil and muzzle flip allow for quick and accurate follow-up shots. The "stock ammo" does well, but there are many bullets between 27-50gr that can be loaded to really fine-tune and expand what this pistol can do.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: basslover

Your cool factor will rise to the stars IF you carry that epi-pen and you're out and about and someone clearly is struggling after being stung or bitten, and they DON'T hae an epi-pen.

Been there, done that - a child was in the park, got stung twice, never been stung before, difficulty breathing, mom had no epi-pen, and so ours came to the rescue and got that little girl breathing regularly.

An ounce of prevention ...

Basslover, I'm glad you were there and prepared to deal with that situation.

However, my counter point is the same as it always is whenever these types of conversations arise...where do you draw the line? If I try and plan for any contingency, my family car has now become a panel truck, filled with every conceivable item I think MIGHT be necessary one day.

Should I design a scabbard or quiver, that hangs across my back and contains a chainsaw? Ready at a second's notice, to reach back and draw that baby out....sort of a hybrid of a lumberjack and Conan the Barbarian?

"What's the problem here? You say you're about to give birth, and a fallen tree is blocking the only toad to the hospital? No worries ma'am, I've got this!"

And yeah, I'm poking a little fun and using ridiculous examples. But the point remains: when is enough, enough? At what point does it cease to be precautionary, and cross over into paranoia?

I have a few friends that carry their handguns everywhere they go. Grocery store, church, mailbox, woodshed, attic....you get the idea. And to the last man, every one of them is an extreme firearms enthusiast. They talk gun math, gun statistics, gun weights, gun laws....and that's fine. I have hobbies that I am passionate about also. But I don't feel the need to carry maple syrup everywhere I go. There's a time and a place, and it isn't all the time and every place.

True story: last year I was with one of these friends at his house. I was going to help him carry salt down into the basement where the water softener resides. We were talking, we each picked up a bag, and while still talking he reached over, picked a pistol off the table, and tucked it into his pants.

What? Is there a zombie horde living in the basement? Do we need to hold the softener at gunpoint while we add the salt?

It was strictly a reflexive, unconscious act on his part. It had become habit. And frankly, when it reaches that point is when I begin to worry.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
P
P
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Wow, this thread certainly took a U turn.

2 quick thoughts about pulling out a firearm of any kind while angry.

One, if you're expecting a crackhead to make a carefully thought out decision as he steals your widget, then you're already at a disadvantage. His safety and yours, will not even cross his/her mind, so be careful before you jump into a hole you can't crawl out of.

And two, if that widget is worth the possibility of your wife becoming a widow over its theft, then by all means go for it. Personally, I would have no problem protecting my family with deadly force, and I'm very prepared for that. But, I'm not as inclined to think I would start slinging lead over a inanimate object. The potential upside vs. downside just doesn't balance out.

When I was teaching I instilled the fact that you can replace a widget but not a life , yours or others

Pat

Your friends sounds like my neighbors up at the country- they pack in the house, which is paranoid in my book

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 02/13/15 11:09 AM.
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
last year I was with one of these friends at his house. I was going to help him carry salt down into the basement where the water softener resides.

Can't resist posting how I addressed this problem when I designed the new house. I installed a pipe from the back wall of the garage down to the basement directly over the salt bin for the softener. No more carrying salt to the basement for me. Just open the top of the hopper in the garage and dump it in!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Now you're talking Bill! One question.....do you still have to go down and open the lid, or is there a hole in the top of the bin for the pipe? confused

Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Now you're talking Bill! One question.....do you still have to go down and open the lid, or is there a hole in the top of the bin for the pipe? confused

When I check the bin to see if I need salt, I leave the lid off if I need a refill. I'm betting will get pretty messy down there should I ever forget and leave the lid on when dumping! grin Kind of like the hole in the lid idea though! smile

[Linked Image]
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
I am grateful I have some well armed friends. We don't have rabid emus, trespassing meth heads, or any of that fun stuff around here to get excited about - but good to know you're a PM away! I'm glad we are rather sheltered up here in corn country - really have to look hard for any kind of conflict. Not surprisingly, I've found my share, but nothing that involved drawing steel, thankfully.

Travis' story was pretty scary - that's some serious stuff right there. I'm not sure how I'd handle a 12 ga to the temple...but again, this is another example of precisely why I carry extra boxers.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
How in the world did we go from bluegills to guns? grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/13/15 04:43 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

What's a bluegill? Can you shoot it?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Don't get me started. Last year I had to pop a cap in a big HBG's caudal fin. Didn't want too, but he was making threatening overtures.

Few things worse than a big male HBG gone rogue. Unless it be a big male RES gone rogue.

It all started when some guy, whose name I won't mention, posted he shot a dang turtle that was eating his BG! grin With this crowd, whenever you mention shooting, the stories start flowing! smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/13/15 06:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Its all in good fun!

P
P
Woa! I want to hear more about the HBG shooting! LOL

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: esshup
FOID = Firearm Owners Identification Card. Without delving into the political side of things (which would get this thread deleted or many posts deleted) it's something that the wonderful Republik of Illinois has foisted on their populace. It's needed before you can purchase a firearm or any ammunition. Out of staters don't need it to buy ammo.

Actually you must have a FOID card to even own or have a gun in your possession, not just to buy.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
I think I read it is required for any firearm with a muzzle velocity greater than 700 FPS but don't quote me.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/13/15 07:26 PM.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

laugh

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker

Yes you can, BTDT, the "little" buggers are hard to hit, you really have to adjust your aim point but if you get close enough you can stun them. grin

P
P
Use a bigger caliber and you don't even have to clean them!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Woa! I want to hear more about the HBG shooting! LOL

Not much to tell Pat. It was ruled self-defense, and since I had applied for, and subsequently received my EBBS (Enhanced Brim Bragging Sticker), all I needed to do was to peel off the label and slap the sticker on the carcass. I then called the DNR office and they sent someone down to retrieve the fish, where it was fileted and the meat donated to a local homeless shelter. That one fish fed 62 down-on-their-luck, folks.

I heard later that a similar case involving a huge BG occurred down Texas way, and that fish supposedly fed 74 hungry people. Course, that was a Jonah Fish Fry at a Baptist church, and I figure that multitude had that whole "Five loaves and two fishes" thing working in their favor. My fish was big without benefit of a miracle, so I consider I've bested that Lonestar Lepomis by a longshot.

Wish I had thought to have it scored by Baird and Condello first, though.

P
P
sprkplug
I just don't know how I missed that story, me being up on the giant gill stories. I heard the picture weighed 7lbs

Pat

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
7.5 on the heavyweight, glossy photo paper.

P
P
That could very well be a new record for the weight of a picture! Well done

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I was recently sent a link to a web site showing the most crime ridden cities in the US. The little town of Bowie Texas, which is the closest town to my land, has the dubious distinction of coming in at #35. It is my personal observation that narcotics is usually the determining factor in these rankings.

I've had a few thefts in the last 30+ years of non resident land ownership there but only a couple of actual confrontations. One, many years ago, resulted in scuffling around in the dirt for a little while. I'm now way too old for that foolishness.

Another, 7 or 8 years ago, was defused by my ever present positive outlook, sunny disposition and a sawed off 12 ga single barrel shotgun. Those guys realized that they had no interest in my goods and left.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I find that property protection works best when everyone knows that you are a "quarter bubble off". -- Speaking for myself of course and downplaying where the bubble really sits -- It only took me a couple times of demonstrating this to rid my place of the vermin. BTW - I don't think you can fake it.

Last edited by RAH; 02/14/15 07:40 AM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jim Mabrey, Kavita Singh, Martyman, PondMutt, TJP84
Recent Posts
Maximum Slope For Dam Safety
by FishinRod - 05/03/24 11:45 PM
RES are fanning out beds
by Fishingadventure - 05/03/24 09:04 PM
Swimming Pond Center Fun Ideas
by tlogan - 05/03/24 08:52 PM