Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, Sunil, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose), 690 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I had a water turkey show up around Christmas. Tried to scare it away by taking 20 "pot shots" at it from the porch about 400 ft. away with my .22. Stupid thing would dive instead of leaving. That was his last mistake. The next day saw a couple of hooded merganzers...more fisheaters but they left the same day. The next day saw a GBH but the "pot shots" scared him off.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
T
T
I fired my pistol across the pond @ the bank just below the kingfisher, he was not impressed. I shoot a FNH five-seven and the bullet will travel great distance, so I shoot to the pond bank. I worry about the skip if it hits the water. It's a fast and long round for a pistol.
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's a little screamer for a pistol!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I fired my pistol across the pond @ the bank just below the kingfisher, he was not impressed. I shoot a FNH five-seven and the bullet will travel great distance, so I shoot to the pond bank. I worry about the skip if it hits the water. It's a fast and long round for a pistol.
Tracy

Might have more success with a 12ga and some buckshot. 8 or 9 projectiles zinging just below the kingfisher versus a single projectile.

Alternatively, what is the distance across the pond? We use the DJ1 Phantom Aerial UAV Drone Quadcopters to chase away unwanted guests. Works every time. Have some pretty good footage from the attached GoPro of the trespassers clearing out.

BTW, nice choice for a sidearm.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Guys, I'd think twice about posts reporting shots at or actually killing cormorants or other fish eating birds. It is against Federal law without a depradation permit.

This stuff is best handled by the old SSS idea of shoot, shovel and shut up.

Gotta admit that if a hawk was getting my chickens(I don't have any chickens) I'd take care of business.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 02/10/15 05:36 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Originally Posted By: basslover
Tracy

Might have more success with a 12ga and some buckshot. 8 or 9 projectiles zinging just below the kingfisher versus a single projectile.

Alternatively, what is the distance across the pond? We use the DJ1 Phantom Aerial UAV Drone Quadcopters to chase away unwanted guests. Works every time. Have some pretty good footage from the attached GoPro of the trespassers clearing out.

BTW, nice choice for a sidearm.

Nice copter smile I've been wanting one of those, but I figured I would lose it on the property and never find it again. And I see the Five-seven picture, it is a nice one you have there, looks just like mine smile I was at the range awhile back and hit the bulls eye @ 100 yds. I was aiming @ it but got lucky I and hit it.
Tracy

Tracy
T
T
The quad copter, the more I think about what u said about chasing them off, seams like a fun way of keeping the fish eaters away, but I might need to get a submarine to go along with it because I will probably have to retrieve it from the bottom of the pond some day. Heck, I've been wanting one of those Sub's with a Gopro to watch the little fishes. Spending the kids inheritance, it's kinda fun. smile
Tracy

Tracy
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Paintball gun

B
B
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Guys, I'd think twice about posts reporting shots at or actually killing cormorants or other fish eating birds. It is against Federal law without a depradation permit.

This stuff is best handled by the old SSS idea of shoot, shovel and shut up.

Gotta admit that if a hawk was getting my chickens(I don't have any chickens) I'd take care of business.

I figure the poster I was replying to A) knows the laws in the state he resides, B) knows any federal laws that apply. Such as is he legally allowed to discharge a firearm on his property (typically dependent upon a minimum amount of land and distance to a neighboring structure), are there any ordinances that prohibit shooting near a protected species, etc.

B
B
The quad copter, the more I think about what u said about chasing them off, seams like a fun way of keeping the fish eaters away, but I might need to get a submarine to go along with it because I will probably have to retrieve it from the bottom of the pond some day. Heck, I've been wanting one of those Sub's with a Gopro to watch the little fishes. Spending the kids inheritance, it's kinda fun. smile
Tracy

The copter is easy to control and since it is not WiFi the distance is ~900 feet or so. Don't know how large your BOW is but ours is not too big that we lose control of the copter. It moves tree rats (squirrels), birds, ducks, geese, etc.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
No idea what laws might apply to scaring off anything. I'm such a lousy shot with a pistol that the chances are about 50/50 on which direction a bullet might go.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No idea what laws might apply to scaring off anything. I'm such a lousy shot with a pistol that the chances are about 50/50 on which direction a bullet might go.

You too?!

Oh wait. You said pistol. Pistol's aren't known for accuracy over a certain distance are they?

I even miss things with a shotgun!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/12/15 06:26 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Do most here on the forum carry a firearm while at their ponds? I never do as a preventative measure, but will if I'm going squirrel hunting, or trying to dispatch a muskrat or two. Otherwise I don't feel I have a need too, but I'm aware that geography probably plays a role in that decision.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
F
F
I only do when I am trying to get wild BG on feed wink grin

B
B

Hopefully AWAY from you wink

B
B
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Do most here on the forum carry a firearm while at their ponds? I never do as a preventative measure, but will if I'm going squirrel hunting, or trying to dispatch a muskrat or two. Otherwise I don't feel I have a need too, but I'm aware that geography probably plays a role in that decision.

We do. Not for the DELIVERANCE cast, but for the wild things. All it takes is one rabid animal to ruin an outing.

But we also have a range I built, and so we often go shooting as well.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
I only do when I am trying to get wild BG on feed wink grin

Never thought of that.... laugh

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Tony, you've been here. As you face the pond from the road, the neighbors to the right (West) have a few dogs that are not friendly. They get out and run around the neighborhood once in a while, and I've had them growl at me on my property when I've told them to go home. I was bit by one on my index finger a few years ago. Talking to them does no good (the people, not the dogs). My neighbor, Brian, across the street had the Pit Bull at his place and called the sheriff. Sheriff went to the neighbors, and 15 minutes later came back to Brians, telling him "If that dog is back here, shoot the S.O.B. and then call me - here's my phone number."

So, about 80% of the time yes, I carry. I've also had a dog (at night, unknown who's dog it was) growl at me while running towards the door. I had just let Kate outside to go potty and she made it inside and I slammed the door shut. I've taken to looking outside around the house before I let her out, and I have the appropriate means to handle the situation if it ever happens again.

I never carried around my place before that.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That's too bad Scott. I know how sick to my stomach it would make me if I felt I needed to carry a weapon every time I walked my own property.

I hope things improve with your situation!

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
One can enjoy carrying a weapon around their property without feeling that they need to. Some just enjoy it. A stray dog only growls at me once on my property and for some reason they never do again:)

B
B
I am with RAH. My wife and I started carrying after we had our first kid. The gun goes where the kids go, unless it is unlawful to carry. A person wishing to do harm to my family will not stop just b/c it is my property. I have no intention of ever needing to use it but a pilot never has the intention of using an ejection seat either. Will be glad to have if we ever need it.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RAH, the times that it happened, I did not have anything on my person. Within 20', yes. Both times in the seconds that it took to get either the .223 or the 9mm with laser (both are kept loaded) the critters were gone. If I would have had either on my person when it happened, that would have been the last time it had that type of behavior. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tony, things will change. I'll either out wait them and they'll sell and move, I'll throw up a fence (hate to have to do that) or I'll move (really hate to do that too).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

P
P
One thing is certain , if you pop a cap on someone your life and your family will NEVER be the same. Try not to stir something that you can't talk or back out of. I taught concealed carry for a while.... Very eye opening

Pat W

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Pat I agree 110%. There's a lot of situations that can be gotten out of (or not gotten into in the first place) by situational awareness and by using your feet to get outta there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass