Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
1 members (Willy Wonka), 803 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
JKB #400488 02/12/15 05:44 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Just try shipping to Russia. It may get there but the contents seem to disappear.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Rainman #400646 02/13/15 08:13 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
I leave the international customs/paperwork headaches to the customer and ship to Miami. There are some forwarders there that navigate the international regs and quarantines...It has been a while and I can't recall any names.

You left off ".., Senator." at the end of your comment.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

JKB #400690 02/13/15 12:15 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Rex,

I don't think all corps are crooked. LOL And I do know sonething about running a business as I run two of them. Of course they have to make profits and I don't begrudge them that. However what I'm seeing with my UPS account is gouging and the fact that they know they're are only two major shippers in the U.S. And their guarantee to be on time is not worth the paper it's written on. Shipped some fish in early December to Montana and they sat in Illinois for three days. It took seven days when they were guaranteed to arrive in four. Needless to say they were a bloody mess and UPS didn't give a crap. Don't even try and collect on damage. It's virtually impossible. You can do all this if you don't have competition.

If there there was serious competition for shippers in the U.S. I guarantee you their rates woukd be considerably lower. In fact one shipper, Speedee, that is only confined to a few states at this point, is much lower to ship for comparable distances and I've been told by customers the service is excellent. Unfortunately they are not in Indiana yet.

http://www.speedeedelivery.com/areas.html

My shipping expense is up to 30 percent of the sale price of a fish and I'm not selling them cheap as they are up to $120.00 per fish. Just seems a little too high too me.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/13/15 12:27 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

JKB #400691 02/13/15 12:22 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Btw I do like the on line tracking and ease of setting up shipping from my home on the computer and the printing of the scanable labels with UPS. I'm sure it's the same with FedEx. Also the drivers are nothing but professional from my experience. Not crazy about the $13.00 pick up fee if I don't order something to be delivered to coincide with the day I want pick up, in which I avoid the pick up fee.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Bill D. #400693 02/13/15 12:44 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Call me sentimental, but I like getting my mail everyday. I try to ship everything I can USPS to support those folks. Hard working bunch of people.

I really like those boxes they have that if it fits it ships at one price, regardless of weight (max 70 lbs).

Edit: I also like they will come to my place to pick up the package and offer the same timeframe delivery options as the private companies.

I used to use Priority Mail exclusively as no matter where I shipped my frozen fish in insulated boxes in the U.S., including Hawaii; it got there in three days. And it was a better rate than UPS and Fed Ex The last two out of three boxes I shipped to Northwest Ohio from Northeast indiana took four days. I can drive their in two hours. The second one I shipped 2nd day and it still took 4 days! It was explained to me that every parcel in Indiana regardless of where it goes has to be sorted in Indianapolis now. They lost me as a customer.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/13/15 12:46 PM.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Call me sentimental, but I like getting my mail everyday. I try to ship everything I can USPS to support those folks. Hard working bunch of people.

I really like those boxes they have that if it fits it ships at one price, regardless of weight (max 70 lbs).

Edit: I also like they will come to my place to pick up the package and offer the same timeframe delivery options as the private companies.

I used to use Priority Mail exclusively as no matter where I shipped my frozen fish in insulated boxes in the U.S., including Hawaii; it got there in three days. And it was a better rate than UPS and Fed Ex The last two out of three boxes I shipped to Northwest Ohio from Northeast indiana took four days. I can drive their in two hours. The second one I shipped 2nd day and it still took 4 days! It was explained to me that every parcel in Indiana regardless of where it goes has to be sorted in Indianapolis now. They lost me as a customer.

I hear ya on that part. If I mail my neighbor 2 houses down a card it takes 2 days to get there as it has to go to another town to be sorted! I asked about this once at the post office and was told USPS has lost so much business to Fedex and UPS, they have had to close many of their sorting facilities and smaller post offices.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Rainman #400706 02/13/15 04:35 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Scott is spot on about the shipping contract also (and weights) 5.01 pounds is charged at a higher weight. A mis-cut or improperly taped box stamped 20x10x10 that will actually measure .001 over is charged at the next increment. These companies have governmental agencies up the yin-yang verifying their scales and measuring equipment...I can assure you, NO busy clerk is paid to screw over a customer by adding a bit here and there....they don't have the time nor concern, nor motive to do that. I have had my packages audited and occasionally got upcharged, but since I gave myself a 3 ounce error margin on average weight, I never disputed putting in too much water or dry ice. Also, occasionally my boxes would bulge, exceeding the size listed and when passing through their lasers, it would get upcharged.

Size and weight is CRITICAL for these shipping companies, they demand accuracy for loading reasons and aircraft balancing, NOT to screw the little guy!

Rex,

I'm well aware of going up to the next pound and already do that. I .e, the box weighs 3 lbs. 4 ounces so I type in 4 lbs. And my scale is checked by the goverment every year too. That why it's certified.

.001 over is charged to the next inch? Who told you that? Holy crap what are they measuring with industrial calipers? laugh

Type in UPS complaints including unethical business practices in a google search. Plenty of reading material.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/13/15 07:34 PM.

JKB #400712 02/13/15 04:55 PM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Speaking of USPS. I went to get a money order a couple hours ago, and was going to send it out priority mail. Puters were down and could only sell stamps for cash, no receipt if you need one.

I go to the bank and get a MO, then back to the post office. This time I read the notice on the door, and systems are down, nation wide.

Asked the gal what happened? She don't know, just that everything went down.

I bought my stamp and asked if mail was moving? She said no problem with regular mail, and this is going local, so you're fine.

Gas prices seem to have stabilized around the $2.30-40 mark around here. I can live with that.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

Rex,

.001 over is charged to the next inch? Who told you that? Holy crap what are they measuring with industrial calipers? laugh

The high speed conveyor systems I've seen incorporate lasers that measure each piece on a high speed scale and software calculates the best packing arrangements for loading.

Bill D. #400746 02/13/15 10:56 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

I hear ya on that part. If I mail my neighbor 2 houses down a card it takes 2 days to get there as it has to go to another town to be sorted! I asked about this once at the post office and was told USPS has lost so much business to Fedex and UPS, they have had to close many of their sorting facilities and smaller post offices.

Most of those Priority Mail packages probably get put on FedEx Jets...why do you think you'll find FedEx overnight drop boxes in most USPS parking lots?

Rainman #400754 02/13/15 11:16 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Both FedEx and UPS will occasionally use the USPS to do the final delivery. I don't know how that gets arranged.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Rainman #400793 02/14/15 11:44 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Rex,

The high speed conveyor systems I've seen incorporate lasers that measure each piece on a high speed scale and software calculates the best packing arrangements for loading.

Oh my! shocked

At the local hub they must not have that yet. I was told by someone that worked there that they have so many boxes around Christmas time they are walking on them. And they pretty much dump the boxes out of incoming trucks enmass to save time. No wonder they are so hard on boxes!

This explains the condition of some of the boxes I shipped. I got out of doing and shipping fragile wholesale fish for that reason. Had to build custom crates for each fish to keep them from getting crushed. That was time consuming, and you can only pass on the cost to the consumer so much-- especially at wholesale prices. It was also impossible to get a claim paid. They fought me tooth and nail.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/14/15 11:54 AM.

esshup #400794 02/14/15 11:47 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Both FedEx and UPS will occasionally use the USPS to do the final delivery. I don't know how that gets arranged.

I've seen drivers for both show up at the local post office. Both carriers know some of the rural routes are not cost effective.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/14/15 11:55 AM.

Rainman #400798 02/14/15 12:20 PM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Rex,

I don't believe REX is talking about 0.001" accuracy here, because that will never happen.

I use Scanning Arrays and Lasers all the time, but you have to understand the nature of the beast.

I'll bet that this goes thru multiple 2D scanning arrays and they are tracking the velocity thru. Has to be tied in quite tight, like with processor scan times. Probably could get into a window of a millimeter or so if conditions are right, and the programmer knew what the hell he's doing. Scanning Arrays work the best.

Ahhh, Lasers. Big name dropping word. I have a Laser, so I'm cool, right?

These are retro devices, meaning that you are going to shoot a beam at something and it has to reflect back to the pickup to Triangulate it's distance for accuracy, or you do time of flight. Not nearly as accurate as people are led to believe.

Non-contact measurement still has a ways to go. Some of the recent laser products are pretty cool tho. Not color blind, and don't have to hit the object dead square.

JKB #411060 05/12/15 05:36 PM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yep, gas prices.

Have a project in Pueblo at a drill pipe mill that was officially put on hold until gas prices bleed your wallet again.

Project at a pipe mill in KY that was supposed to be up and running quite some time ago, well, they filed bankruptcy.

Holding pretty steady at about $2.50/gal.

JKB #411107 05/13/15 06:43 AM
T
T
The US rig count is down 60% from where it was just a few months ago. All because of OPEC not wanting to lose market share. It is a war on America. Our oil technology requires oil prices to be @ or above $75.00 per bbl for our Shale oil to be marketable. Opec continues to flood the market with oil.
One of our US Presidents called it trickle down economics where money is dispersed through jobs. So when oil prices drop, and markets collapse , it trickles down through lose of jobs and company Bankruptcy. Steal mills, Real estate, Banks etc. We all like lower gas prices but like I said OPEC is Warring against America. Period !!

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
JKB #411118 05/13/15 07:41 AM
D
D
Just filled up my 2006 1500 hemi yesterday.... well $100 didn't fill her at $112.5 per L thats like $4.50 per gallon. Lucky if that lasts the week.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
JKB #411123 05/13/15 08:01 AM
T
T
Don, like I said we all like cheaper gas, it just needs to be drilled here including Canada and not in the Middle East where it supports the Radical Muslims. there are many ways to war on a nation.

Tracy

Tracy
TGW1 #411125 05/13/15 08:09 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: TGW1
The US rig count is down 60% from where it was just a few months ago. All because of OPEC not wanting to lose market share. It is a war on America. Our oil technology requires oil prices to be @ or above $75.00 per bbl for our Shale oil to be marketable. Opec continues to flood the market with oil.
One of our US Presidents called it trickle down economics where money is dispersed through jobs. So when oil prices drop, and markets collapse , it trickles down through lose of jobs and company Bankruptcy. Steal mills, Real estate, Banks etc. We all like lower gas prices but like I said OPEC is Warring against America. Period !!

Tracy

Tracy, you are correct - mostly….. grin
The “middle easterners” have “lifting cost”, or as others call “production cost of somewhere around $5 bucks a barrel.
Athabasca Canadian Oil Sands are so high cost per barrrel as well as N.D Bakken shale companies, they cannot compete.

On the other hand, the Texas Permian Basin Sprayberry/Wolfcamp production lifting costs are around $8-9 bucks a barrel and those old wells hold “HBP” acreage millions of acres so no lease acquisition costs - We have advanced technology that allows us to drill multiple wells with one a rig on one pad site.
This thing is not over - you know all this stuff but others might be interested.

Yes, I am very familiar with this stuff - I was Division Geophysicist for a Major Oil Company in Midland at one time and assignment in many of the other Oil Provinces.

It ain’t over ‘til it’s over.
Cheers,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

JKB #411133 05/13/15 08:56 AM
T
T
Thanks for your information here George. I posted my remarks because some can not see the forest for the trees. I am tired of seeing jobs lost and wars fought over oil and oil pricing. America needs to wake up. I am on a rant today George, as u might see from other post here lol

Tracy

Tracy
JKB #411145 05/13/15 09:20 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
I am with you all the way Tracy!
Just pointing out that things are different this go-round.

George

JKB #411147 05/13/15 09:28 AM
T
T
George I lived in midland in the 70's. Sometimes we would travel 4 hr's and drag a boat just to get to a lake. smile I herd once that there were more boats in Midland per person over any other city in Texas. It was all beach out there till u got to the water. We might know some of the same people from there. The world is smaller than we think smile

Tracy

Tracy
JKB #411149 05/13/15 09:42 AM
D
D
What we need is more pipe lines that we can run up graded fuel through. What we have seen over the last few years is oil and fuel run on rail as much as they can pull. We have seen the pressures on the pipe lines we do have doubled because this is the only way to get more product through the same size line.

Then we have the rail cars accidents because of the larger volume of cars hauling fuel and oil. And then we have these pipe lines popping leaks because of the extra pressures and an old line with weak spots.

Here in Ontario they trying double the one main line pressure but spend the last four years looking for bad spots with an xray pig with still running fuel through it. Some good pay welding on a line that is full of bunker oil.

In stead of building more pipe lines they find its easier to raise the price to lower demand and curb use rather than get more volume. Our government is fine with this because the tax on fuel is a %.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
JKB #411153 05/13/15 10:11 AM
T
T
I will agree with the pipelines needing to be increased and improved. I would like to see us move to natural gas for transportation needs. It is better for the environment and for the engines (giving a longer life span) and we have the Mother Load when it comes to natural gas. It seams to be moving that way but not moving fast enough. We could get away from supporting the Muslim rebels on the middle east. I have a natural gas driven GMC pickup and it runs great. Todays pricing is @ or around 50 cents per gallon cheaper than gasoline and I should get a longer engine life. That is a win win. smile

Tracy

Tracy
TGW1 #411155 05/13/15 10:13 AM
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: TGW1
George I lived in midland in the 70's. Sometimes we would travel 4 hr's and drag a boat just to get to a lake. smile I herd once that there were more boats in Midland per person over any other city in Texas. It was all beach out there till u got to the water. We might know some of the same people from there. The world is smaller than we think:)

Tracy

Tracy, living in Midland in the early sixties was an oxymoron.. grin
Boom or Bust - half the time half of the geologists were selling washing machines at Sears...
Fantastic blue quail hunting - cool

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM