Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Reno Guerra, ArkieJig, buzzdpm), 1,030 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
P
P
DD1

Ouch sounds like my kind of luck!

Pat W

JKB #395983 12/29/14 09:40 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Let me relate to you something that happened positively to my dad.

First of all my dad knows absolutely nothing about stocks and has no interest in them. Back when he worked 21 years as an I &R guy for a telephone company after retiring from the military, he had got a really good 401k plan with 100 percent matching funds and stock in the company or some kind of portfolio.

One day he got really worried about his stocks and decided to cash them in. He had no bad information or anything to tell him he should be concerned. But an inner voice told him to get out. So he cashed them in.

Not long after that (maybe even the next day I can't remember) the stockmarket crashed and he would have been left with virtually nothing.. To this day he doesn't know why he felt that way but was glad he did it.

I don't know exactly when this was without asking him,but I think it was in the 80's. He's in Europe right now so I can't ask him.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/29/14 09:42 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

JKB #395985 12/29/14 10:24 PM
I guess I look at things a little differently. First, I never buy a stock I am not willing to keep for long term (The Warren Buffett philosophy). If I bought a stock today at $50 and something happened in the market to lower the overall industry (not just that single company) in the short term and that stock dropped to $10, I would consider taking advantage of the short term bad news and buy more to get my overall cost down. My decison would be based on how sure I am the problem is "short term."

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Bill D. #395987 12/29/14 10:45 PM
P
P
I'm at the age where I don't want to be cannon fodder anymore. The big boys use us as cannon fodder. Just when you think you know what to do ..... Bam they got your money.... I'm done

Pat W

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 12/30/14 03:35 PM.
JKB #395989 12/29/14 10:54 PM
Yea, it's kind of like going to Vegas. Never take money you can't afford to lose.

[Linked Image]
JKB #395990 12/29/14 11:04 PM
Dave D.

I am a firm believer that all women are born with the ability to provide "The Look." My wife is from Thailand and she has it down to a tee! I got hit with it this morning. She says she has a 30% off coupon at Kohl's that is going to expire so she needs to go shopping. I said if she doesn't go, we save 100%. Boy did I get "The Look!"

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

First of all my dad knows absolutely nothing about stocks and has no interest in them. Back when he worked 21 years as an I &R guy for a telephone company after retiring from the military, he had got a really good 401k plan with 100 percent matching funds and stock in the company or some kind of portfolio.

One day he got really worried about his stocks and decided to cash them in. He had no bad information or anything to tell him he should be concerned. But an inner voice told him to get out. So he cashed them in.

Not long after that (maybe even the next day I can't remember) the stockmarket crashed and he would have been left with virtually nothing.. To this day he doesn't know why he felt that way but was glad he did it.

I don't know exactly when this was without asking him,but I think it was in the 80's. He's in Europe right now so I can't ask him.

Cecil,
Chances are, that would probably have been October 19, 1987...otherwise known as Black Monday...I remember it well.

Last edited by stickem'; 12/30/14 09:14 AM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
JKB #396003 12/30/14 10:25 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've never been one to delegate much of anything, and that includes my finances. I'm not a gambler, and firmly believe that a dollar in MY hand is worth two in my portfolio....especially when someone else's hand is manipulating that portfolio. The more things I have under my direct control, the better.

My feelings are that whenever you let anyone else have any type of say-so, financially speaking, you're screwed. Maybe not today, or tomorrow or next week....but it's coming.

Many of you know that I am self-employed in my little one man repair shop. And while that is certainly no guarantee of success, (far from it), at least my individual success or failure is in my own hands to a much greater degree than if someone else were calling the shots.

I've never shared this before, but I had a great job before doing what I do now. I have no doubt that it was the best job I will ever have. But it wasn't really MY job....I was simply doing it for someone else. And one day, that someone else decided the grass looked greener south of the Rio Grande. C-ya.

I keep this letter in a cheap frame, on my desk here in the shop. Whenever I have a crappy work day, I sit down and read it. Yeah, the day may not get any less crappy, but at least I'm the one deciding which direction I go from here. But hey, they recognized the concern it created for myself and my family, right?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
JKB #396006 12/30/14 11:20 AM
T
T
Anthony you are indeed living in Freedom.Pun intended!

stickem' #396023 12/30/14 03:08 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: stickem'
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Cecil,
Chances are, that would probably have been October 19, 1987...otherwise known as Black Monday...I remember it well.

I think you're right!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

sprkplug #396025 12/30/14 03:12 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
I've never been one to delegate much of anything, and that includes my finances. I'm not a gambler, and firmly believe that a dollar in MY hand is worth two in my portfolio....especially when someone else's hand is manipulating that portfolio. The more things I have under my direct control, the better.

My feelings are that whenever you let anyone else have any type of say-so, financially speaking, you're screwed. Maybe not today, or tomorrow or next week....but it's coming.

Many of you know that I am self-employed in my little one man repair shop. And while that is certainly no guarantee of success, (far from it), at least my individual success or failure is in my own hands to a much greater degree than if someone else were calling the shots.

I've never shared this before, but I had a great job before doing what I do now. I have no doubt that it was the best job I will ever have. But it wasn't really MY job....I was simply doing it for someone else. And one day, that someone else decided the grass looked greener south of the Rio Grande. C-ya.

I keep this letter in a cheap frame, on my desk here in the shop. Whenever I have a crappy work day, I sit down and read it. Yeah, the day may not get any less crappy, but at least I'm the one deciding which direction I go from here. But hey, they recognized the concern it created for myself and my family, right?

Great story Tony and thanks for sharing! Been there done that and still doing as far as sole proprietor. I don't make a lot of money but I have a lot of freedom. Now that my house and property is paid off I have even more freedom!

Lusk's story is a good one too. He worked his way out of the trenches like many of us.

JKB #396030 12/30/14 03:39 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sparky, you are now employed by the best boss in the world !!! Keep on being honest and fair and you will not only be financially triumphant but also be respected. A wise man once told me that "a man only takes his reputation with him when he dies"
Cecil, when your pop returns from Europe have him give me a call. I have several hundred dollars invested in the market that I am quite concerned about.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
JKB #396049 12/30/14 06:32 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Bob-O, I have been employed by that best boss in the world for a few years now. And I can tell you that there are times when I would do anything other than what I'm currently doing, were the opportunity to present itself.

Yes, there's freedom, and the feeling of doing it your way....but as I imagine most who are self-employed would agree, there are those days when punching the clock for someone else, and letting them suffer the headaches, sounds awfully appealing.

Much obliged tubguy. Pretty informal around here, so Tony is fine! I don't hear Anthony used very often. grin

JKB #396050 12/30/14 06:47 PM
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
I was fired once in 1995. I started my own business (yes, a corporation). I will never be rich in monetary terms though I have much to be thankful for.

This is not a recommendation! I have been using the United States Oil Fund (USO). I buy shares as the price falls and then sell shares when the price rises. Pick a buy point and a sell point and stick to it for the long term. I have been buying recently since the price has fallen through the all time previous low (around $24 in 2009).

It will always go back up.........................

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
sprkplug #396051 12/30/14 07:20 PM
T
T
Tony
What kind of work do you do? I saw where you were recommended for rebuilding pumps.I have been over your way a few times picking up parts at Truck Parts Unlimited.
I have a part time business that I operate out of my house which is kind of a bittersweet thing.I sometimes restore antique bathtubs which require a lot of body filler and multiple coats of paint and primer.A lot of hurry up and wait.During these wait times I often find myself walking through the woods, mowing the yard,working on a tractor,or sighting in a gun. Needless to say I have some unprofitable days.I find my days are usually more productive when I schedule service calls for onsite repairs.I honestly think that those piddle days are my therapy though and I am looking forward to having my pond finished so I can take a fishing pole on my walks!

JKB #396054 12/30/14 08:09 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Sounds good tubguy...I sent you a pm.

sprkplug #396085 12/31/14 01:11 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
... There are those days when punching the clock for someone else, and letting them suffer the headaches, sounds awfully appealing.

I can relate to that too! And in some ways we have more than one boss with a small percentage a royal PITA. Fortunately it's a very small percentage for me and I've pretty much weeded most of them out. grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/31/14 01:14 AM.

JKB #396090 12/31/14 08:26 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Cecil, ain't that the truth! In the beginning you're starving to death, so you take on everything and everyone....then as time passes, you get a little smarter. wink Or maybe I've just learned I don't have to eat so much.

sprkplug #396091 12/31/14 08:44 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I was told not all business is good business, and you can't be everything to everyone!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #396093 12/31/14 09:05 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: esshup
I was told not all business is good business, and you can't be everything to everyone!

I absolutely believe that there are some jobs/customers you're better off without. Took me awhile to figure that out, what with that nasty, lurking fear of starvation and all.

But you soon learn. Wow, do you ever learn. Glad those days are behind me. Trust your first instinct....it's usually correct.

esshup #396107 12/31/14 11:15 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

Whoever said the customer is ALWAYS right never ran a business or went out of business a long time ago. grin

Some will take advantage of you if they can. Some think anyone in business is loaded.

I knew a guy that worked for a big box store where cutomers were allowed to bring back partially used cans of paint no questions asked. I don't believe that store is in business anymore. People were using what paint they needed and bringing back the rest for a full refund!

Don't get me wrong I always go out of my way to please a customer, but there are some real pieces of work out there! No pun intended!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/31/14 11:18 AM.

JKB #396110 12/31/14 01:35 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Dwight, USO is now 56% cash and selling at about $20.00

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
JKB #396119 12/31/14 04:45 PM
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
They talked me into it. 401K kicks in after midnight. Only went in at 6% of gross, and the boss kicks in 25% of what I do, and that's his form of profit sharing, but I have my own wink

Suppose it's gonna be another bookmark and log into my account type thing to see what's up.

I did go rather aggressive, but hey, try it for a short while.

JKB #396127 12/31/14 07:32 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Locally now also down to $1.67 in NW Ohio and getting too low. Too low for gas will hurt the economy and some of the smaller producers will not be able to make any money and quit producing which will reduce supply and increase prices. It would be best all round if prices stabilized around $2.50.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/31/14 07:33 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
JKB #396128 12/31/14 07:45 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
$2.13 here.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM