Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,994
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (Boondoggle, FishinRod, catscratch, Theo Gallus), 1,226 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J
Originally Posted By: timshufflin
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Engaging in meaningful discourse and debating concepts and theories is one of the reasons I'm here, for expand my education, and I know Bob and Mike [owners of Pond Boss] encourage it. However, I expect everyone to remain respectful regardless of the position they may adopt and not post recklessly. Bear in mind Sparkplug, Dave, Esshup and George have many many seasons of practical, hands on, scientific experience. These guys are my brothers, and I owe them all a debt of gratitude - please be respectful when alluding to them in a post. It's just how we do things here - aspire to a higher standard and you'll be treated accordingly. Seems fair to me.

The newer guy deserves no less respect than the guy who's been here forever. That said, I haven't seen any real disrespect in this thread, only some subtle digs used in passionate debate. I think everyone should quit defending their friends and work on defending their theoretical/scientific positions. Every time I see anyone with a "new idea" on ANY forum the traditionalists always start feigning shock and awe on being disrespected, threaten moderation, beg to end the thread.

Come on folks, put your big boy pants on and simply debate the topic and quit with all this sissy crap about being disrespectful, I've not seen anything nearing that except MAYBE on the traditionalist side of this topic.

Thank you. You put it better than I could have.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Alright. I'm as much to blame for what this thread has become as Jason is. And as such, I feel responsible for what's happening here.

Name calling? Demeaning others? Have we really reduced ourselves to that? I walked away from this thread because I realized that nothing constructive would come from it, and further discourse was pointless.

I encourage others to stop and consider whether they might benefit by doing the same.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jason, its nice to meet you! I love the debate and your passion for your fish I absolutely love as well. I have some advice for your consideration. I don't know as much as I'd like, but I have raised a few million fish, helped a few thousand pond owners nationwide, and fed a few hundred tons of pretty much every type of fish food manufactured in the US.

Definitely let the pond boss family share in your success! (Gather the wealth of information from them) but then definitely keep all of us informed on your ideas, experiments, observations, progress, and of course fish pictures!! I have no doubt you are going to grow monster bluegills in your lake! Dont let anyone here or anywhere hold you back from doing your own experiments. That is how we all collectively will keep pushing the envelope and learning new things.

Some advice I have for anyone else reading this thread is take the advice of the masses into careful consideration before moving forward with your own fish management plan or experiment. Make smart decisions within your own comfort level and spread out your risk according to the type of person you are. Essentially your management style with fish is typicaly the same as you would manage any of your resources in life. Diversify and be prepared for any and all potential consequences. (ie) If it comes fast, it can leave just as fast.

as for actual fish advice, I have actually fed fish (artificial food) too much in the spring, summer, and fall... Consequently I have had tremendously healthy looking large trophy fish die at very young ages due to all kinds of health problems and disease.

Right now we are researching extensively ways to get fish to grow abnormally large, abnormally fast, and live to normal lifespans. We have the first two things down pat....

Also Jason currently there isnt an ideal wintertime feed on the market quite yet for the sport pond, because the demand simply is not there quite yet. However when we create the demand for that winter feed, it will have much different ingredients than the current high protein feeds available.

I regularly observe fish feeding and growing in cold water under ice, but the artificial feed currently available isnt ideal for them both in digestibility and nutritional content. your fish will also eat dog and cat feed or even plant based catfish feed, but that isnt ideal nutrition for them regardless of the temperature of the water.

obesity in fish, while it looks awesome to us, isnt actually healthy. obesity for any animal (and even us humans) usually leads to some sort of other health problem.... health problems dont usually lead towards long life.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nate, I'm glad that you weighed in.

Jason, a lot of us aren't just "internet" friends. I've personally met a number of the forum members in my travels. You can probably meet a lot of us in February in Dallas. I'll bet that at least one fish food producer will be there too.

http://www.pondboss.com/events.asp?id=7

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: esshup
Nate, I'm glad that you weighed in.

+1
Thanks, Nate!! Add me to the mailing list, if you decide to produce it.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Ya know, a couple of these "good old boys" have advanced degrees in this stuff. Others have learned and learned exceptionally well.

Me? I've been doing it a long time but learn something new every day from these "good old boys".

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 12/15/14 09:33 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
S
Originally Posted By: n8ly

Also Jason currently there isnt an ideal wintertime feed on the market quite yet for the sport pond, because the demand simply is not there quite yet. However when we create the demand for that winter feed, it will have much different ingredients than the current high protein feeds available.

Very interesting comments. Lots to learn. Thanks!

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner