Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, Snipe, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure), 965 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#39093 03/14/05 01:20 PM
J
JM Offline
J
Okay its been awhile, but I hadn't forgot about the post.

I did however contact Dupont who informed me that this product was not planned for sale to the consumer in any form until maybe the end of 2005 or start of 2006. It was available to licensed pesticide commericial applicators. I have a state Private applicators certificate that is valid through october 2007, so perhaps I can come by some.

Kelly, if you have a way that I can purchase this please email me the information.

Thanks

John
#39094 03/14/05 09:19 PM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Kelly, JM, here's a post you might find intresting: http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001425

The last few post suggest grits will kill fire ants.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
#39095 03/14/05 11:25 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
OK... after reading all these posts, what can be used for fire ants that won't be a danger to the fish? We have many large colonies of ants on our property. Some of the mounds are 3 to 4 feet tall and scare the heck out of the wife and kids. Regular ant killer does the job but I'm always worried about using it even if not near the pond.

#39096 03/19/05 10:45 PM
Lunker
Lunker
JM - You brought to light something that I personally missed, even after re-reading the label several times when the product was originally introduced last fall.
On the label, directly below the product's name (which is why I missed it), is the phrase "Only for sale to, use and storage by commercial applicators".

Now, for some regulatory-basics and "the rest of the story".
*ADVION is a "general-use pesticide": which means that the EPA does not require a purchaser to hold a pesticide applicators license.
*However, some state regulatory agencies may supercede this EPA "designation", and require purchasers of either SPECIFIC or ALL pesticides to be licensed as commercial, non-commercial or private applicators - especially if the application will be made to property that is not personally owned by the applicator and/or if the property is within an incorporated city limits.
*In TX (and several other states), a license is not required for a person to make pesticide applications to THEIR OWN property UNLESS the pesticide is designated as "restricted-use" (Federal) or "state-limited-use" (State).

Back to your comments before I tangent too much:
When a mfgr wants to "incentify" new chemistry with commercial applicators, the most effective means for doing so is to self-impose a restriction against "retail" sales. This tactic allows the commercial guys have a new tool that is supposedly unavailable to anyone else. To accomplish this objective, the mfgr simply places the statement referenced above on the product's label.
As we all should know, the product's label IS the law. Therefore, designating the product for "commercial use only" technically prevents the sale of the product to retail customers (including those who are licensed as private applicators) even though the EPA and most state regulatory agencies recognize ADVION as "general-use" and would otherwise allow the product's purchase and use by anyone - licensed or not.
I'm basically trying to explain that the "commercial use only" stipulation on ADVION's label is a marketing strategy. In a couple of years, after the product has been thoroughly established within the commercial market, the "commercial applicator stipulation" will be removed from the ADVION label, opening up the legitimate market for this product to anyone - licensed or not.
Things like this put us distributors and/or dealers in a precarious position.
Recall that the referenced label-text did NOT say "LICENSED commercial applicator". Well, someone could walk into our office and claim that they are a "commercial applicator". We're not obligated to confirm the buyer's statement, since a commercial applicators license isn't legally required to purchase the product. Do you see where I'm headed with this logic??
I'll leave it at that.......

#39097 03/19/05 11:25 PM
Lunker
Lunker
Tuzz - I didn't want to ignore your question. But, NY, NJ & CA are three states that are considerably "different" in respect to pesticide treatment options - no offense intended. In order for YOU to remain legal and compliant with local laws, it would be best to seek treatment suggestions from sources within your state.

On another issue: The fireants in your area are probably European Fire Ants, and are different from the Red Imported Fire Ants found in the South. I'm not certain if the same control measures work comparably for both species.

Here's some good info on the Red Imported Fire Ant - pay note to Q&A #8:

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM