Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,590
Members18,538
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,607
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
10 members (Shorthose, Tinylake, Boondoggle, esshup, Champ59, Sunil, etx-pond-c, Jason D, jludwig, catscratch), 1,099 guests, and 237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dudley that may be the best advice ever given here - know the Sheriff (and being related is a +).

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Eric, I can understand that knowing the sheriff could be an asset when the wife comes home to a sink full of dead chickens and a house full of hysterical children because the ones they named Peep-peep, Cluck-cluck and Scratches are among the group in the sink. Or when Elsie and Trigger have gotten loose and stampeded through the neighborhood.

The day that Elsie and Noo-noo have to visit the slaughterhouse would also be a special time.

Nothing compares to life on the range.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah you got that right! LOL! My grandfather had a farm and I seen things there as a kid NOOOOOO kid should have to see when it comes to farming and food!!!! smile

Soooner or later they got to learn where it all comes from though!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Nightmares are also dreams.

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
Beaux, You must be a happy man indeed to be married to a girl who is willing sacrifice the convenience of supermarket life for that of the sights, sounds and scents of the open range. There must be little to compare to the freedom of selecting the birds you decide to cook for supper, then catching, killing, eviscerating and disposing of the waste before serving them up as a savory dish for the family to enjoy. And that says nothing of the whetting of the appetite that comes from stuffing the head, feet and entrails into a baggie for disposal.

The garden you'll be able to grow with the animal fertilizer excitedly gathered by the wife and boys will be the envy of the neighborhood.

Imagine the pleasure of the neighbors at being awakened at daylight by the raucous cackling of hens, crowing of roosters and lowing of cattle. Add to that the pleasant scents of the barnyard wafting over their yards on a gentle south breeze as they and their guests enjoy a barbecue and you'll be a special neighbor indeed.

I've googled Vida Shaw Road and see that you're in Iberia Parish. The Sheriff of Iberia Parish is a friend, Louis Ackal, and the Chief Deputy is my nephew, Bert Berry; you might want to pop in to say hello (bring donuts) and to ask if they've ever before put down a lynch mob. I know that each has an extraordinary sense of humor as I hope you do.

Dudley, I am very happy and lucky she decided to move back to the country. We started out in the country and ended up on the golf course in Squirrel Run for the last 5 years and I have been bugging her to move back to the country for the last 4 years lol. Finally she gave in. Our 3 boys will love it there.

LOL I actually didn't think if the neighbor thing that way... Yea, they will hate us and our farm... I guess they should just move to the city wink

I'll say hi to the sherrif for ya.... You guys crack me up.

We spent the day out there today, letting the boys ride 4 wheelers and play on the excavator, I pitched up a tent and lit the ole smoky pit for a little lunch.

If it was easy everybody would do it !!!
Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Even got Momma on the machine wink

Attached Images
image.jpg image.jpg

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Momma's smile will melt 'em all. What a fine family!

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Momma's smile will melt 'em all. What a fine family!

Haha you got that right, thanks Dudley smile
The boys had a blast

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
So on a more serious note (Dudley) lol, I'm having a lot of thoughts about the shoreline of my pond, whether it should do the 3:1 slope or should I just go straight edge 2-3 ft deep with a 3 or so foot shelf??? I worry about the kids falling in on that slope, either the shelf at least they won't go sliding straight into the pond. Any suggestions? I can tell I will have problems with my builder, I know he likes to do the slope, but hey it's my pond right...

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
If you don't slope the bank, nature will do it for you. A gentle slope is easier to maintain (mow) and would be safer for the children. Call the Pond Boss office to order Lusk's book "Perfect Pond, Want One?" He discusses many aspects of pond design that most of us would not think to consider. If you even suspect that those boys would find their way to the pond unsupervised, delay construction until they're older. You know that nothing is worth that risk.

You'll want depth and a bloom, or both, to discourage the growth of vegetation from the bottom, although you'll want vegetation along the underwater slope of the bank and maybe a mound or two or three in the pond. Lusk's book will detail bottom design. Starting from scratch gives you a great advantage, so do it right. Having power will even allow you to aerate. You won't need to be concerned about needing water from adjacent acreage to keep your pond full. I don't know how you'll handle overflow, maybe just let it go where it naturally goes.

Get Lusk's book and do it right with no regrets.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree Dudley, especially about the slope.

I believe the slope will be safer than the sharp drop-off, even if it's just 3'. How would a kid or even an adult step up out of the pond?

I like to have an area of the pond nearest the house as a beach area, sloped 1:5 or 1:6 until it hits about 4' to 5' water depth, then make it 1:3. The remainder of the pond has a 1:4 - 1:6 slope to the waterline, then 1:3. Makes it a LOT easier to mow.......

Get the book, you'll refer back to it even after the pond is completed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Also agree on the book. I think I have all of Lusk's books. The ones I refer to are certain areas in Perfect Pond and Raising Trophy Bass. I've learned not to loan them out.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Elk hunting. been there; done that a lot. Now I'm too old and damn well know it.

Days of hiking and seeing nothing to shoot. Then seconds of excitement when the big bull shows up followed by a LOT of work. Best meat I've ever eaten.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I've never been on an elk hunt or even eaten an elk steak but I was once addicted to elk jerky. Never was a truly dedicated hunter and even less so when I discovered the pleasure of hunting for a well-marbled rib-eye at my favorite super market.

I once read about blackened steak and decided to give it a go. I remembered the sentence, "You can't get the pan too hot", so I put a cast iron skillet on a crawfish burner and fired up. After a short while, a few wisps of smoke rose from the pan then it turned red. When the glow turned white, I threw in the steak. It was an experience.

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Dudley, I actually have that book and have read it front to back, very good information. He does talk a lot about the slopes, the section of the book thats for excavated ponds is very short but it talks about slopes in the other section. I just never really thought about it the way you, Dave and Esshup put it.

I was thinking of putting an overflow pipe that drains out to a drainage ditch on the edge of the property. I want to have something for emergencies.

I do plan on aerating with diffusers and a fountain for aesthetics.
I also plan on having a water well drilled.

Thanks for your input guys. That's just the reason I joined this forum again, so when I get if course one of you guys smacks me back in line lol

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Then you're good to go.

Just one other thing: using inherent male knowledge, BIGGER IS BETTER, no matter who tries to convince you otherwise.

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Then you're good to go.

Just one other thing: using inherent male knowledge, BIGGER IS BETTER, no matter who tries to convince you otherwise.

Lol yes, this is true

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yeah, and Cash is King.

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Cash being King is absolute and a given but Direction of Flow can be more variable.

One guy pays a contractor to dig a pond and haul off the dirt.

Another guy sells the dirt to a contractor who digs the dirt and hauls it off.

Two ponds. Different cash flow.

Kind of like the seminarians. One asks his Superior if he can smoke while he prays. Of course not. Another asks if he can pray while he smokes. Certainly. (Both later get every imaginable disease and linger for years in excruciating pain before death finally and mercifully relieves them from their agony. All because they smoked.)

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
The propert is super soaked from all the rain. Got a few spots that look like soup bowls. Was out there today trying to cut some ditches so it can drain off so I can get the dirt guys in here....Grrrrr

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Started clearing a path for a creek that will feed the catfish pond in the woods. Not bad for a couple hours work and a lil mini excavator LOL. The real dirt guys will be coming soon.

Attached Images
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Last edited by Beaux; 06/29/14 07:52 PM.

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Rough sketch of the property layout which has already changed. After meeting with the pond builder we decided to move the 2nd pond into the woods and have the creek run into it... This will be the catfish pond. In case anyone is wondering, the 3 red lines are the rail fences lol wink

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
Be nice if I put the file the first time wink

Attached Images
image.jpg

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Looking good. Do you intend to clear or thin out the woods?

Beaux Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm just planning on thinning out. I want to leave the big trees that been there for God knows how many years. I think it will be cool, like walking into a whole different environment.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 05/21/24 12:45 PM
I think I killed all my fish
by Tinylake - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13