Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#384195 08/04/14 03:18 PM
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Yankee ingenuity needed! (or Dixie ingenuity, as the case may be)

I've been perusing the forums and read the great writeups on structure. I'm now convinced...
#1: I don't have enough
#2: of where it should be
#3: that a pile of cinder blocks 4 feet high in 9 feet of water should be a nice addition to my little 1.5 acre pond in Southern MN.

Here's where you guys with the big brains and duct tape come in:
I'd like to put about a ton of blocks out on the ice this winter and let them sink with the spring thaw. Anybody got ideas on keeping the blocks tied together in a nice high pile when they fall through?

My understanding of quick crete is that it will freeze before it hardens in a Minnesota February. The best that my feeble mind can produce is a couple hundred yards of rope, but that won't stop the pile from settling into a low mass instead of the majestically towering pile I'm hoping for.

Anyone?

Thanks,
CZ

CZ
H
H
Maybe a cold weather PL construction adhesive?

Tarp and heat?

Strapping and tapcons?

Last edited by Hesperus; 08/04/14 04:12 PM.
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Interesting...do you think the construction adhesive would hold long-term? Like a decade or two?

I had to hit Google for the heat strapping, but I'm still a little confused. I'm thinking it's not the same as hanger strap, since you mention using a tarp as well.

CZ
H
H
I edited my post for clarity. I meant metal strap and tapcon anchors.

PL says 40°f. In my experience that's pushing things, but if you tent it and heat it...

Fill the cores with rebar and pour in crete filler. Crete guys can help with heating it up, but I think calcium chloride is what they use. Crete will make it's own heat so if you do on a warm day and wrap it

Last edited by Hesperus; 08/04/14 04:30 PM.
L
L
Simply ose nylon rope and heavy duty tie wraps. Metal will rust, and more concrete will be too heavy. Ne need to wait for a thaw, any weight like that will push right through the ice without a thaw. However you need to be careful as that much weight in a concentrated spot could break through some pretty tick ice.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
This might be an area where haydite blocks would be a better choice than concrete.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
550 cord (parachute cord) would be my choice. Its cheep, strong, and lasts forever. I have used it for all sorts of stuff and it has not let me down yet.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
J
J
If you can find an HVAC supply house, they sell very large heavy duty zip ties for duct work. I think home depot and lowes sell them as well but they might be more expensive.

Last edited by jamesyarbrough; 08/04/14 10:14 PM.
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks guys - great ideas!

I happened to talk to my bro-in-law tonight. He's works for Fish and Game. He suggested constructing a crib out of timbers, and putting the block in there. That, of course, leaves the problem of getting it to sink evenly in the spring...

He also mentioned that the water gestapo (MN DNR) forbids using cinder block for riprap on lakeshore, but he didn't know why. He speculated that it might leach one of its component chemicals and thought I should contact the DNR just to make sure. Anybody heard of the logic behind this one?

CZ
E
E
Heard the same thing about concrete. Apparently the previous owner of my place dumped tons of concrete rubble along the bank of the river here and got in a boat load of trouble with the DNR. Something (calcium?) leaches out of it and can be harmful to the BOW.

J
J
Here is what I would do I think. Have a bottom layer of concrete blocks as the foundation with steel rebar or 2x4's running through the holes and tied so they stay flat. Stack and tie the rest of the blocks to the foundation and tied. Then on top tie a truck inter tube to the top of the blocks. When the blocks drop through the ice the tube should keep them upright as they drop to the bottom.

R
RER Offline
R
sounds like a fun summer time snorkeling project to me.

How close to Duluth are you?

I made several of these at our place just outside Duluth and snorkeled them into place.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 09/23/14 08:57 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'm not too sure about the supposed negative effects of concrete in a BOW. When I was involved in the concrete industry we poured many a bridge job, including footings and pilings, for state projects.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
I would suspect its not a biological/chemical reaction concern. It's an aesthetics "non natural" look that repurposed concrete block would bring.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Thanks guys! I put out a crib with concrete blocks in it and watched it go through a couple of weeks ago. The fish seem to have taken a liking to it already. Here's video from a game cam I was adjusting when it went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiPsjmG5bsg

Last edited by czimmerm; 03/28/15 04:35 PM.

CZ
That was pretty cool...did it stay upright all the way to the bottom?

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Originally Posted By: czimmerm
Thanks guys! I put out a crib with concrete blocks in it and watched it go through a couple of weeks ago. The fish seem to have taken a linking to it already. Here's video from a game cam I was adjusting when it went down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiPsjmG5bsg

That was awesome! Maybe 6 more feet to the left...or not grin

M
M
really neat

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I am thinking the (unrealistic) fear with excessive amounts of concrete is Calcium Hydroxide (Hydrated Lime) leaching out. Hydrated Lime, on it's own will raise pH very quickly to lethal levels when spread in a pond....I do not see that likely happening, over years, from broken concrete, however.

S
S
If concrete hurts the water I'll be in a world of hurt. I have several tons of old turkey barn foundation (1'x2'x6-10' lengths) cribbed up in the deep water of my pond. Plus some slabs for artificial bluffs. Plus probably at least 50 concrete blocks for various projects and uses.

Plus I have over the last week used hydrated lime to kill some FA.

So far no dead fish that I know of from it. The minnows and small BG swim in and around the hydrated lime covered algae right after I apply it.

Of course our water tends to be naturally acidic so I figure the lime from the concrete, crushed limestone lining the shore line and other sources can only help.

Could be wrong though.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
It looks like it settled upright and in one piece. I think the ropes may have actually helped in that regard. All that remains now is to try and get the anchor pin loose so I don't have to cut the ropes.

CZ
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I've got to believe that concrete is okay for submersion. Otherwise every government agency and their brother would screaming about erosion and bridge projects, wouldn't they?

snrub: your post about FA struck a chord with me as I have a case of bloom happening now. It seems like it took off with our wet spring last year, and continued under the ice. From what I understand, my first step is to cut off sources of nutrients. A tile line that drains a couple of acres of field and a bunch of bullheads stirring up the bottom are my primary suspects. My water level has also been down since last July so I haven't had much flow of fresh water. Does that pass the sniff test with you? Do you have any other thoughts?

All others please feel free to chime in as well!

CZ
T
T
looked great to me smile now u have me trying to figure out how to do what u did in a southern pond where no ice is there to give me that stable platform prior to sinking. Don't misunderstand me here, I don't want the Ice lol

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
How about an oversized slingshot? grin

CZ
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Originally Posted By: TGW1
looked great to me smile now u have me trying to figure out how to do what u did in a southern pond where no ice is there to give me that stable platform prior to sinking. Don't misunderstand me here, I don't want the Ice lol

Tracy

This would probably do the job! grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images