Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (gehajake, nvcdl, Tinylake), 1,371 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Our local game warden just called me on my cell phone and wanted to have a meeting with me on what he called a complaint. He would not tell me anything else; would not answer any other question. I have tentatively agreed to meet with him at the DNR office in Vandalia IL next week. I have verified that he is for real, and I know of no issues, and I do not think I have anything to worry about (except perhaps for some SSS).

What would you do? Meet or cancel.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
O
O
I don't think that I would take my time to meet him without a little better explanation as to what it is about.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'd certainly ask him to explain himself, in a diplomatic way, of course.

Also, I'd ask to see copies of any reports or complaints that may pertain to myself or my property.

Where did he get your cell phone #?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I didn't see the simple question, 'meet or cancel.'

I'd meet.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok first off if he is local then why don't he come out and see you? That's what Game and Fish does?? Why do you have to go to him? Have you been shooting a lot around your pond? Do you have close neighbors that may have gotten upset about the shooting?

Why would he just call and say that? You have to have someone near by that is upset about something??? Did you do Fireworks over M. Day maybe??

I don't know makes no sence to me. How far away is this meeting place? I would be honestly upset to get a call like that and not give you any information to go on??? Keep us posted please I can't wait to hear this one!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
L
L
Maybe he is looking for pond advice for a personal project?
Me personally I would be sweating bullets, but I would go to see him. It may be simply to get your take on a complaint he thinks is exceedingly unreasonable and doesn't want a record of things until he can hear both sides.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Reminds me of one time MEGSI called my parents house and wanted me to come in for questions I was 17.. my parents immediately called our lawyer (my uncle lol).. He told me absolutely do not go unless they have some kind of warrant.. didn't go didn't call them back anything never heard another word from them.. Still no idea what it could have been about

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
I'd request that he come to your place so you can clear up anything that might be misleading or vague in the complaint...

Just do it...
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hi Bing, how unusual - you've got me wondering, "WTH"?

Out of curiosity, I'd personally take the meeting. Very weird he won't relate details, or be willing to meet at your place, however. Squid might be onto something there - minor complaint he wants your personal feedback on so he can file it in the trashcan?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

I'd likely go, and be sure to take someone with you just in case, someone who is not your relative.

It never hurts to have a backup - someone who can corroborate a conversation if a 'he said she said' situation arises.

Dale

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree with going and taking someone else along to have a witness, preferrably an attorney. Don't volunteer any information other than answering the questions that he asks in the least words as possible. If he doesn't say anything else after you've answered a question, don't elaborate, just wait 'em out until they ask another question.

If they have complaints that relate to harassing waterfowl (whether they are true or not), that's bypassing the state level and going to Federal level.

To me it's strange that they want you to come in vs. coming out to your place, and not telling you why they want you to come in. I don't like that one bit.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Fingerling
Fingerling
B
Bing, I like to meet problems head on. In your situation, I would call the fellow back and ask him if your attorney needs to be present. Any delay or poor response in answering that question will tell you what you need to know. If you get a good response, suggest a neutral location such as a local coffee shop. Having coffee and some apple pie with the Game Warden might be useful in the future. Pick up the check of course. If you get a bad answer call your attorney and do exactly what he tells you.

It's another day in paradise
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: Bushwacker
In your situation, I would call the fellow back and ask him if your attorney needs to be present........If you get a bad answer call your attorney and do exactly what he tells you

I think this is great advice. I can't recall anyone ever getting into a sticky situation and saying "Gee I wish I hadn't gotten my attorney involved in this on the front end". The warden has not done anything to inspire confidence or trust by giving you so little information and calling you down to his place. Better to be cautious, might be good for a chuckle later if it's nothing, but at least you'll be prepared for the worst.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bing, Knowing you and that you are what I would consider a very respectable gentleman, very upstanding with common sense, and a professional, I doubt you have done anything illegal. Does your pond overflow into a creek or other water way? Maybe a goofy neighbor called the DNR for some dumb reason? Game wardens can be real vague at times. I think it is in their training. Others have given good opinions. If you have a lawyer call and ask his opinion. If not then take an unrelated witness (friend) with you for the meeting. Keep us updated. Inquiring minds want to know. We all may learn something from this experience.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/23/14 07:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I'd probably meet with him, say very little, mainly just listen.

I might try and get a friend that is an attorney to tag along.

Saying very little works for me in many contested type situations.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
If you know Bing, you know he won't be taken advantage of, by anybody.

Well, maybe a grandkid or three.

Seeing the other sage advice given here makes me reconsider my original comments.

I would require that the subject of the meeting be revealed prior to going to his office. If he was coming to me, I'd still be pretty adamant that I know why.

I'm also of the mind set that the Game Warden is a person you need as a friend when you are a land owner. I keep my local Game Warden's cell number in my phone.

Like others said, not so cool on the Warden's part to be so close to the vest.

I may not be able to sleep now....

B
Bing Offline OP
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Thank all of you for such good advice. FYI, (and to PMA), I was kidding about the SSS. I don't even own a shovel. The expression, "I have the strength of legions because my heart is pure" comes to my mind because I cannot think of any activity I have done that would cause concern. We do some shooting on my property but the only new neighbor I have, who is 1/4 or miles away, also shoots. I do plan to be represented, but I'm not going to lose any sleep, and hope Sunil doesn't either.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It's strange to me that he didn't fill you in on the details, but sounds like someone has a beef with you, and they have concerns.

If it were a real DNR issue, like in MI, they would not be so polite as to call you in advance. You'd have black green vehicles and choppers about. It's the adrenalin rush of busting someone! Maybe this guy is just lazy tho wink but maybe smart and has his prize come to him wink

I would be cautious but go in and scope things out. If things escalate, then I would get the hammers involved. I doubt bringing in any type of witness other than a lawyer will do much good. Don't know what your laws are, but we can legally record stuff like this without notifying the other parties that we are doing this. Only one party needs to know about this, and that's me with the recorder. That's voice tho.

At least is wasn't the FBI out of Chicago. It was real! Long story short. Bought some software on ebay many years ago. Got it and it was a crack code version. Bummed and couldn't use it. Get contacted months later by the FBI. Had me answer a bunch of questions, which I did. Put me in a fraud victim program and wanted me to be available to testify. No problem. Get a letter a few years later that they dropped charges and thanked me for participating.

The real thing about this is the initial contact by the FBI and me finding out it is actually REAL, kinda made me loose some sleep until I found out what's up!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Fred, you've gotten some good advice. Go with representation. The fact that he says there is a complaint, won't tell you what it is and asks you to come to him doesn't make sense. But, it does not sound like they are playing straight up.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Whatever you do... let us know lol

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Lunker
Lunker
If the GW thinks he's going to intimidate The Bing he's got another thing coming. I still think this isn't going to amount to anything, but my interest sure is piqued.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
All of the game wardens I know are truly nice guys. They know that most property owners are conservationists and that few property owners knowingly violate game laws; that pretty much puts property owners and game wardens on the same side.

The game wardens here have a key to my gate and I welcome their occasional visits, feeling that my property is better protected.

Bing, you'll probably be pleasantly surprised when you discover that you're really visiting with a friend whose interests actually parallel your own.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Sorry, I haven't weighed in sooner but life is very busy right now. Anyways, as a law enforcement officer myself, I often get phone calls from friends and family seeking advice about how to deal with police matters.

Most, and I do mean most cops are good honest people who want to do the right thing. Some make mistakes, we are all humans. Then there is that small percentage who are not honest. Combine those who make honest mistakes with those who are "dirty" and well, more than one innocent person has been charged, convicted and punished for a crime they have not committed.

With that being said, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc Now the guy in this video takes things a little too far, but many of the points he makes are extremely valid...

I implore you to speak with an attorney before speakings with this game warden. Particularly since he is being so evasive in answering questions that you asked of him. If he was simply investigating some garbage complaint, I highly doubt he would be so evasive...

At a bare minimum, skip the "witness". The game warden will likely not allow the person to be in on the interview anyways. If you just can't help yourself and wish to speak with the game warden, bring a tape recorder. Advise the game warden you are recording the conversation. If he refuses to allow this, refuse to answer any questions.

If you want more advice, PM me... It's been my experience over the years that game wardens tend to use little discretion. I have no clue why, but they seem to follow the law as written and are very black and white when our world is very gray. So, be careful...

DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. I am just a dumb uneducated cop.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Rethinking this. I believe that if there was a real problem, the GW would have come to you with either cuffs or a ticket book. He probably has a stupid complaint and knows it. But, he will probably want to just talk to without making an official call.

I think that I would call the guy and ask if I needed to have an Attorney present. Actually, I know damn well that I would call him/her in advance. I would, if needed, have the recorder in my pocket.

I'll bet that they know who and what kind of guy you are. Since it involves you and your land, it will also involve your wife. Take your wife to the meeting. That way, if there is a real problem, you can say she did it and let them arrest her. That way you won't lose your hunting and/or fishing license.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 06/24/14 05:40 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
G
Sounds like you're being punk'd by Ashton Kutcher. Be sure and dress nice for the cameras, and don’t forget to act surprised.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build