Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TropicalKoi, Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B
18,486 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,816
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Bigtrh24, Theo Gallus, Joe7328, Bill Cody, Theschack), 803 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
OP Offline
V
I haven't yet invested in an aeration system (hoping to one day) but in the mean time I am thinking about using some good bacteria to help get rid of algae and mud/sludge that keeps accumulating.

I have a 0.4 acre pond and it has some Koi, a ton of goldfish (soon to be bait for the bass...!!!), and some sterile grass carp.

I was poking around on Amazon and found lots of selections of things, but not really sure what's best. I could also go the Auquafix route through a site like clean ponds.com, but really not sure what's best.

Thanks!
Mike

V
OP Offline
V
Anyone?

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I am not the expert to answer this, but choosing which bacteria and enzyme to use is really hard. There is seemingly no industry standard and you really must trust your supplier. That said, using one of the advertisers in Pond Boss Magazine is likely as good a reference as you can get as they do not just accept advertising with anyone. I just would not buy any of these products based on advertising talk. Finding someone who has used something successfully would be the best advertising.

HOWEVER, from what I have read using any of these products without aeration has not been demonstrated to produce good results. Since bacteria type products are relatively expensive, I think, that if I did not have aeration, I would save my money, get aeration, see what results you get from that for a while, and then look into additives.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
C
C
I get so sick of all the resellers who take a generic product, change the name and raise the price a few thousand percent.
Oxyclean (the infomercial stuff) is just sodium percarbonate, put in a fancy box and raise the price thousands of %.

So what is all the pond scum reducer really made of? Where do we get it from the factory with out all the scammers in the middle.

M
mpc Offline
M
Here is a novice opinion because I have been interested in the bacteria route for some time. In Short I would not spend the money to put bacteria in a pond, mine or any other for that matter until I knew that it would help. I did ask my fish supplier, Todd Overton at Overton fisheries who happens to be a biologist to boot and he said he had heard little positive in the way of sludge removal/ algae control of any kind.

The second reason I would not do it is a bit more abstract in that I want to utilize pond water to supply feed water for a dirt-less aquaphonic garden system. In my research, the current systems, many today utilize bacteria to convert nitrites into nitrates and it requires aeration/ bacteria/ and time(days to months) to establish the proper bacteria conditions in the water recycle process. I will not get into it any more than to say it takes time and certain condition to make the bacteria do what it is suppose to do and the ammonia cycle I did not even get into.

I would say with what limited knowledge I have that you can put the product in your pond but it may or may not work. If it does work you will just be lucky.I defer back again to Mr. Overton, who has forgotten more than I will ever know and he was skeptical at best.

I may know more from experience in the future of how and what conditions it takes for bacteria to work in ponds, the way you and I wish they would.

My caveat here is I think and have read that there are, if not millions, at least thousands of different bacteria and some may work in open pond water conditions,but I have NO idea what those specific bacteria are. I have not been able to read any specific tests(fact based) that have indicated any success and maybe others have.

If you try it, let us know how it goes I would be interested in the results or the lack of.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
As I've said before I'm skeptical of the commercial pond bacteria too. I think a lot of the credit that bacteria gets should be given to using diffusers to keep the bottom aerobic so the bacteria that is naturally present will work.

All I see out there is anecdotal evidence. No credible scientific studies complete with controls, i.e., similar ponds in similar conditions side by side complete with a control pond.

I bought some once. Appeared to be mostly sawdust. I found that rather suspicious.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
B
The best bacteria live in the guts of animals and are pretty good at eating up sludge. You get your beneficial bacteria just by animals pooping in your pond. Good aeration speed up microbe digestion rates almost exponentially and stops the bacteria from living in an anaerobic state, where they start to cannibalize each other. You have the poop just add air, as it is way more beneficial then adding bacteria.

Last edited by BirdD@wg; 05/31/14 11:20 PM.

Trickery and BS, Beats Youth and Inexperience
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm not sure if I agree with adding poop to my pond is beneficial?

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
B
B
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
I'm not sure if I agree with adding poop to my pond is beneficial?

You don't have to add it, as it is already there. Fish, bugs, crayfish, birds, rodents ect... already added the poop/bacteria.

Trickery and BS, Beats Youth and Inexperience

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Theo Gallus - 04/20/24 10:31 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/20/24 10:27 AM
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail