Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 959 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I am looking into improving the water quality of my pond before stocking and possibly adding aeration while I continue to debate which stocking route to go. I have owned this pond for one year now and it has maintained a chocolate milk like water color for the year. I have done a few jar tests and the sediment always settles after a few days. So am I understanding that this means either wind or some form of bottom stirring is happening? There are no fish except for mosquito fish present. Also have seine netted the pond and found crawfish and there are many turtles that inhabit this place right now. They don't presently bother me but could this be the cause? Also regarding the turtles when I do stock will they consume my hard earned dollars..if so they will swim in the big pond in the sky..for now we can coexist.

Its not that I mind the water color too much just wondering what the positives and negatives are in potentially clearing it up? I have read many posts about adding lime to clear up the water but also understand that it may add to vegetation problems. I would rather not SO clear water and not having to add chemicals. This pond is .18 acres and 8 ft. deep in middle. I am looking at aeration, have plenty of wind action since we live 8 miles inland from gulf coast but am inclined to go the electric route since I have power at pond and will need it most during 105 degree August days with no wind. Would a 1/4 hp pump and 1 diffuser be sufficient?

Any advice is appreciated. Here are a few pics I took yesterday evening if they help.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have learned to stop taking it so seriously"

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Ag lime would probably be a big plus for your pond, but get a water test showing alkalinity, hardness and pH along with a soil test from a mixture of soils in the pond and surrounding drained areas to know how may tons of lime are needed (if needed at all).

I am really surprised to hear your water clears in jar tests, you look to have a lot of grass filtering runoff and erosion does not look too bad from wind/wave action either. Your pond may still be a good candidate for a mild Alum treatment to make it clear, reclear faster and allow a nice bloom to take hold.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'd go with the Alum and add lime if it's needed.

The down side with turbid water is if you had fish that depend on sight to find their food, they will have a hard time and growth will probably be slower than normal. The upside is not much worry about weeds or filamentous algae getting out of control and your PH will be stable during a 24 hour cycle.

OTOH I don't know about you but I don't find turbid water aesthetically pleasing.

Why do you have dead grass along the shoreline?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 05/20/14 03:05 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Another vote here for a comprehinsive water test and alum treatment.

I'd much rather adjust the water clarity with a phytoplankton bloom than turbid water.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks guys. I have done a water test from a home kit and found ph over 8.5 and total alkalinity is over 300. All other numbers are in line. No problems with nitrates or hardness. I will look into tamu doing a water test and soil test in the future. Could the ph or alkalinity numbers be effecting the color of water or causing sediments to suspend? How ideas on much alum to treat a less than quarter acre pond ?

Cecil regarding your question of dead grass on the banks this pond has a berm around the edge. Its built up around the edges about a half a foot till the bank drops, my pictures didnt show that well ill try and get a better one up tomorrow. Im not crazy about it and may look at knocking it down to allow runoff to enter in the future. The previous owner said they did this to prevent flooding the house which is 100 ft away during hurricane season in which we see some crazy rainfall totals from time to time. But this prevents runoff from entering the pond it stays full from rain (wait whats that?) and predominantly a well. During the winter I didnt water the lawn or fill the pond and lost about a foot of water, some of the grass on banks has been slow to get going as a result. I took these pictures yesterday after topping it off.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have learned to stop taking it so seriously"

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Make a note (even if just to yourself) of what time you take the water sample from the pond to send off. pH is highest mid day, and lowest early and late.

A pH of 8.5 first thing in the morning would be something to be concerned about but not a big deal if taken mid-day.

It'll be interesting to see what TAMU has to say vs. the home test kit.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
WRFinTX Offline OP
OP Offline
W
If I remember right it was taken mid day. I will check in evening tonight and morning tomorrow. If the ph is over 8.5 in morning and evening what would be the negative effects this would have on fish or other inhabitants? I am also interested in the difference in a report from tamu and will start this process soon to get professional results.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday