I may purchase some alluminum sulfate from a local chemical supplier after doing a jar test to see how much I need. I have used commercially sold alum packaged with a buffer, but getting straight alum from a chem company would be much more economical for my 3.4 acre/foot pond of .62 acres. Gypsum and Lime are not an option as according to literature I have seen, with already high PH and alkalinity these compounds are not very effective.

I have seen literature that says with my high alkalinity I may not need to add anything to buffer the Alluminum sulfate. Anyone concur? I have considered Baraclear but can't justify the cost.

Seems I should also be able to see if there is a significant PH drop with the jar test.

My PH in the pond is 8.3 and alkalinity is in the mid 330 range.

I have never had a problem with clay turbidity in this pond until this year of very high winds apparently bashing the shoreline before the annual aquatic vegatation took hold. I will add rip rap on at least the shore where the strongest wave action occurs before clearing the pond. I also believe it is possible that some iron that comes in with an overflow from my trout pond that is fed by a well, may aggravate the settling of the clay due to electron charges being similar.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.