Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#366515 02/17/14 06:23 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I had an invasion of Cormorants on my 2 acre lake this winter. I think I've finally sort them out. However my problem now is to determine what damage they did to my young fish. This lake was completely restocked two years ago with LMB, HBG, CNBG, and BHM. What size fish would the Cormorants take out? I've read anything from 2 inches to 12 inches in length.

So if 4 to 12 cormorants eat daily (unless disturbed by me) for 30 days, how much damage can they do?

I'm considering adding GS early in spring to let the other forage fish rebuild their stocks. Does this make sense?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: travlinman

I'm considering adding GS early in spring to let the other forage fish rebuild their stocks. Does this make sense?

I wouldn't personally as IMHO they are inferior to bluegills due to their smaller average size and propensity for interbreeding with bluegills. (Maybe that will get Jeff to show up?)

Here are some pics to show you what an appetite a cormorant can have and how large of fish they can consume. I think they were originally posted on this site. Keep in mind this was probably in one day.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/17/14 07:42 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for that...I think. Sad to see how many fish these things can take out in a day.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Cecil....those pictures are crazy.

I had no idea they ate that many fish in one day.

Thanks for posting.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442

Golden shiners? Gizzard Shad? Green Sunfish?

I'm thinking you meant Golden Shiners. Depending on the LMB population, you might have to add a bunch if the cormorants wiped out a big portion of the forage fish population. To tell you the truth, there's no way to know without having a fish survey done. As you can see from the pictures that Cecil posted, they can eat fish of all sizes.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
W
I did a quick literature review on cormorants a couple years ago as they began wintering in our area in large numbers. On average they consume a pound of fish per day. A flock of 25 birds can significantly reduce prey biomass in a lake. Do the math for a 3 month drop in.

www.qualitylakes.com

"If once [the people] become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges, and Governors, shall all become wolves."
- Thomas Jefferson 1787
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Wade B.
I did a quick literature review on cormorants a couple years ago as they began wintering in our area in large numbers. On average they consume a pound of fish per day. A flock of 25 birds can significantly reduce prey biomass in a lake. Do the math for a 3 month drop in.

So they could actually reduce numbers of bluegills in a stunted pond?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442

Golden shiners? Gizzard Shad? Green Sunfish?

I'm thinking you meant Golden Shiners. Depending on the LMB population, you might have to add a bunch if the cormorants wiped out a big portion of the forage fish population. To tell you the truth, there's no way to know without having a fish survey done. As you can see from the pictures that Cecil posted, they can eat fish of all sizes.

Yeah I think you're right Scott. For some reason I thought he meant green sunfish.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Big or little their choice - damage either way - cormorants are trouble.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014

Fishing has never been about the fish....

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks guys. Yes I meant Golden Shiners. They descended on my lake and found abundant forage. I applied for a Cormorant Predation Permit and have been steadily eliminating the problem with every 12 gauge, 3 inch, #4 shot. Based upon your comments those things were taking out 5 to 10 lbs of fish a day for at least 30 days. For a 2 acre lake that's a lot of fish. I love it when they can't get airborne right away and have to circle the lake a couple of times to get above the treeline.

So I'll do a survey and see from there what I need to do. Probably need to closely monitor the weight of my LMB as well.

I researched cormorants when I first started duck hunting. I saw someone accidently ehhm ehhm shoot one. Anyways keep in mind there is a hefty fine associated with shooting cormorants. They do consume a heck of a lot of fish. I wonder if you could attract some falcons or other predators that might keep the flying rats away from your pond.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
No fine if you get a permit.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
No fine if you get a permit.

No fine if you don't get caught smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not an option in my neighborhood with a well traveled highway in the front and neighbors all around me.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With something like this and when using subsonic ammo I doubt that the neighbors would even know. (you gotta file the correct paperwork of course.)

While I don't own one, they are legal for hunting in Indiana, and it IS tempting. Don't know if I want to be a larger blip on the radar though.........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's not the sound as I'm worried about as much as visibility. I have used CB rounds in my 22 for herons when I got the permits, which don't sound like much more than a mild firecracker.

Haven't seen a cormorant yet and hope I never do.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/20/14 02:40 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Lay on your porch and you'll be pretty invisible. A pond in Illinois that is about the size of your front pond had 5 of them visiting daily. Not good for that pond!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Lay on your porch and you'll be pretty invisible. A pond in Illinois that is about the size of your front pond had 5 of them visiting daily. Not good for that pond!

I have set up a blind in the spare bedroom for when I had issues with herons on the trout pond and I had a permit to take them out. Officially that is not legal even with a permit. Trouble was I had to leave the window open a crack without a screen as opening it when the bird was around would make them fly off. The wife wondered why there was an increase in flies in the house. whistle

Shooting toward the highway is a pretty scary proposition and something I won't do. As soon as you think you have a shot a semi suddenly appears. Can you imagine what trouble I would be in if i even looked like I was aiming at a vehicle on the highway, let alone a bullet hitting one? shocked

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Hoo Boy, would you be in trouble!

I used to be able to get away with pointing a shotgun at F-14's and such as they took off from Mirimar Naval Air Station, but that was only because we were trap/skeet shooting on the base at the time and the planes were beyond the shotfall zone. As far as I know, that range has been closed down. frown

That sure was a weird feeling tho. Call for the bird, start swinging the shotgun and have a jet fly past the clay bird as you were getting ready to pull the trigger!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
Gamo and others make pellet guns that are very effective short range, shooting at about 1600 fps. However 1600 is not subsonic. Something in the 1200 range should do the job and be fairly quiet.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
My depredation permit for the Phalacrocorax auritus is on it's way. I used to just scare em off. Now I can actually do something.

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bing
Gamo and others make pellet guns that are very effective short range, shooting at about 1600 fps. However 1600 is not subsonic. Something in the 1200 range should do the job and be fairly quiet.

Bing, 1200 fps will still have a pretty good crack to it. Pellet rifles that shoot 900 fps are quiet and more accurate than the faster ones due to the pellet not having to transition from supersonic to subsonic, which sets up a pressure wave. Good pellet rifles shooting in the 900 fps range should be capable (taking the nut behind the trigger out of the equasion) of shooting a 1" dot at 50 yds repeatedly. So, head shots are doable, and very deadly at that distance and slightly beyond, depending on the skill of the trigger squeezer.

Also with pellet rifles, a moderator (silencer) is readily available and does not fall under the ATF rules and guidelines that silencers for firearms do. So, there is no added paperwork, no $200 tax, no waiting period. I've seen some Pre-Charged Pneumatic air rifles that were far quieter than a person sneezing.

Last edited by esshup; 03/20/14 06:06 PM. Reason: added silencer info.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
OP Offline
T
Update on operation Cormorant......
I've eliminated 16 Cormorant under my predation permit...very satisfying! There's still one that makes an appearance once a week but he's a wise bugger. As soon as he spys my truck he starts flapping his wings and buggers off. Tactics will change to eliminate the poacher.

With temps in the 70's and my feeder running again, I'm saddened by the lack of mature BG coming to feed. I can only assume the Cormorants nearly wiped them out.

So now my problem is this: I added 200 LMB July of 2012 and now they are 15 inches and about 1.8 pounds each. Should I reduce the LMB numbers now? Or, will my BG numbers rebound without corrective stocking?

S
S
Drop them they are not native and they are very destructive.

seantOH

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images