Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BarkyDoos, beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy
18,517 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,995
Posts558,307
Members18,518
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,577
ewest 21,508
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,155
Who's Online Now
4 members (BarkyDoos, Fishingadventure, teehjaeh57, Boondoggle), 649 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep! Trout are cool. I spend part of the day Thursday and most of today stocking RBT in clients ponds. The RBT that I had were anywhere between 1# and 1 1/2#. I put 25 in my pond, and a couple of browns too. (for a test) In the last pond stocked, I cycled the feeder, and the trout started hitting the pellets not 20 minutes after being in the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I'm curious at what the recovery rate will be in spring harvest. I'm also wondering if feeding trout all winter is going to create a nutrient overload in pond come spring.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
John:

Anytime you feed you are adding nutrients to the pond. I've never made an effort to fish them all out, but when I stocked Goldens and regular colored Rainbows in my pond, in a couple of hours of fishing around the feeder I caught 80% of the Goldens. So, I think that you can catch the majority, if not all of the trout of the pond.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Sweet. Thanks esshup Thats kinda what I figured. When I get into a hole of them on the creek that runs through town it's seems after you catch one the feeding frenzy starts. I've seen days where you can fish for an hour with no bites. When you finally catch one you might catch ten more on ten cast. Complete opposite of how catfish behave from my experience.

Last edited by John Wann; 11/10/13 12:12 PM.

B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
A friend of mine put approx 50(he did not count) rainbow trout in his small pond in the spring and he caught 53 in the fall so recovery rates are very high I'm thinking.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

JKB #358030 11/22/13 09:19 PM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: JKB
Keep in mind that block ice is rather large and may damage your fish during transport. Small cubed ice would be much better.

Seems like the block ice lasts longer tho, but Ice is Ice and melts at 32F. 10 lbs of block ice has the same BTU's as 10 lbs of crushed ice or 10 lbs of cubed. I don't think I would use those contained ice freezer gizmos because it is a contained mass that could easily bounce around in the tank and damage the fish. Raw Ice, and let it melt on the trip.

Good point from Cecil on the source of the ice too. If it's derived from a municipal system, could be the nail in the coffin on the next haul.

Mind your P's and Q's, and don't get all OCD about it. Take it easy smile

Block ice is used to slow the temperature drop rate. Cube ice has such a large surface area that it can kill the fish. The temp can drop so fast with cubed ice, the fish have no time to acclimate. A little dechlorinator is always a good idea with ice, regardless of the water source.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The trout are the most rewarding thing I've stocked so far. Once in pond they are idiot proof and fun to watch feed.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Block ice is used to slow the temperature drop rate. Cube ice has such a large surface area that it can kill the fish. The temp can drop so fast with cubed ice, the fish have no time to acclimate. A little dechlorinator is always a good idea with ice, regardless of the water source.

I forgot to mention that there is a bit of math involved wink

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The wife and I have been pondering themes for my daughters birthday party first week of April. We could not agree on anything. Saying that, she would ask my opinion and then say no. Anyway it dawned on me the small pond full of trout. She was on board as soon as I said it. It's going to be a fishing theme. The kids won't forget this party. I can't wait. I need ideas to prevent kids from gut hooking my precious HBG and HSB. I'm thinking barbless strait hook with Berkeley power bait eggs. I will cook up the kids catch too. It should be fun for kids and adults all around. This could become an annual event if all goes well. Most of my family trout fishes so the parents I believe can help out a lot with baiting and setting hooks.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
John - Very good idea. Take pictures and notes then have your sweet roommate 'write up' the story and send it to Bob Lusk for a article in PBoss magazine. Title it "Creative Birthday Party". Contact Lusk for his preferred format for submitted articles. For the article when accepted, the editor will send you some money to help purchase the trout or to use as prize money. Often a few golden trout are available as the bonus prize fish for the stocking.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/06/14 03:12 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have 6 golden trout in the pond and 130 RBT.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The pictures won't be a problem. I'm not much a writer though. Wife might be able to write something up. I'll talk to her about it.

Last edited by John Wann; 03/06/14 03:30 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

That's interesting Rex. I have dumped in the bag ice from gas station/convenience stores for years and never had a problem. All the ice producers I know remove the chlorine/chloromine before making the ice. They have special filters that also make it as clear as possible.

According to the literature I have about adding municipal water to recirculating systems that had chlorine in it, as long as it is 10 percent or less of the volume of the system it's not a problem.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
John - the article does not have to be academically written. Just put a rough draft together, tell your story, and Lusk will "clean it up" for publication.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Sweet. We will try to get something together.

R
R
The fishing theme party seems like a great idea. Maybe just don't gut the fish in front of the kids.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

That's interesting Rex. I have dumped in the bag ice from gas station/convenience stores for years and never had a problem. All the ice producers I know remove the chlorine/chloromine before making the ice. They have special filters that also make it as clear as possible.

According to the literature I have about adding municipal water to recirculating systems that had chlorine in it, as long as it is 10 percent or less of the volume of the system it's not a problem.

Cecil, all my concerns and experience is in hauling the fish, which is stressful on them....ANY chlorine or an overly fast change in temps are causes extra stress and increases chances of mortality, be it in an hour, or a week after the stress. I use bag ice also when I must, and I expect problems when I do. I have to make decisions on which stress is more deadly, Higher water temps with lower dissolved oxygen (and higher O2 flow to compensate) on a long haul, or a more rapid temp drop that slows metabolism for lower O2 demand along with increases in dissolved oxygen availability. I also do not have the time or desire to test for chlorine levels, incase a "filter" was malfunctioning, so I treat (my dechlorinator {Prime} also binds free ammonia).

Last edited by Rainman; 03/12/14 06:45 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Understood Rex and I'm not questioning your expertise and experience. I know you've hauled a lot of fish probably thousands of more miles than I have. I'm just saying from my experience, I've not had any problems with the ice from convience stores, and don't believe the manufactures use chlorinated or chloromene treated water because no one wants that taste or smell in their ice. Most likely if they do use municipal water they filter it out before they freeze the water.

And as I said with RAS systems according to the texts I've seen, regardless if chlorinated water is added to the system, as long as it is 10 percent or less it's not an issue. The reason I brought that up was even if the ice used is chlorinated it shouldn't be an issue.

It's also amazing how much ice it takes to drop the temp of a tank. I was surprised by this when i needed to drop the temperature of a 200 gallon tank by 20 degrees, to match the temp of fish I was bringing in from a pond. It took a lot of ice! I'll never do that again!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 03/12/14 08:07 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Understood Rex and I'm not questioning your expertise and experience. I know you've hauled a lot of fish probably thousands of more miles than I have. I'm just saying from my experience, I've not had any problems with the ice from convience stores, and don't believe the manufactures use chlorinated or chloromene treated water because no one wants that taste or smell in their ice. Most likely if they do use municipal water they filter it out before they freeze the water.

And as I said with RAS systems according to the texts I've seen, regardless if chlorinated water is added to the system, as long as it is 10 percent or less it's not an issue. The reason I brought that up was even if the ice used is chlorinated it shouldn't be an issue.

It's also amazing how much ice it takes to drop the temp of a tank. I was surprised by this when i needed to drop the temperature of a 200 gallon tank by 20 degrees, to match the temp of fish I was bringing in from a pond. It took a lot of ice! I'll never do that again!

10% of what concentration?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Originally Posted By: blair5002
A friend of mine put approx 50(he did not count) rainbow trout in his small pond in the spring and he caught 53 in the fall so recovery rates are very high I'm thinking.

LOL, his math kinda smells like Molson Golden to me - awesome return!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Originally Posted By: blair5002

LOL, his math kinda smells like Molson Golden to me - awesome return!

Spontaneous generation! grin

Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
Any update on these? How are they looking? How much did you feed over the winter? How much did they grow?

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Bocomo I've went through about seven 50 pound bags of AM600 so far. It was froze for a month though so I could not feed them. They are doing great. I believe I gained over a pond on them easy. We will find out shortly.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Pretty cool JW well done! A few times watching the video it looked like we were going under - are you standing on a dock, in a boat, or wading?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
57jeepster, Augie, mbunimog
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 05/06/24 09:36 PM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 08:51 PM
Happy Birthday Augie!
by Sunil - 05/06/24 08:38 PM
How much feed?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 07:55 PM
My First
by Bill Cody - 05/06/24 07:22 PM
Aquaculture Business/Equipment for Sale (Ohio)
by Theo Gallus - 05/06/24 07:19 PM
Trees on dam
by cgoetz1 - 05/06/24 06:49 PM
Trees on dam
by esshup - 05/06/24 06:08 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by ewest - 05/06/24 01:17 PM
Help building a natural 285,000 clay lined pond
by esshup - 05/06/24 10:39 AM
feeders on bank--any hog problems?
by FishinRod - 05/06/24 10:24 AM
Little update and a question on harvesting