Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,989
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (Sunil, phinfan, teehjaeh57), 1,143 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
TJ:

Shoot them with white paintballs and call Rainman. He'll take care of them for you. Just make sure to paint any PVC laying around brown.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Ouch! Poor Rainman will never live that down...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
\:D

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
 Originally Posted By: esshup
TJ:

Shoot them with white paintballs and call Rainman. He'll take care of them for you. Just make sure to paint any PVC laying around brown.

This could be a problem! Scott has his great new 1500 yard toy, and I have to wait till I see the whites of his eyes.............Hmmm, will he have me deliver the tilapia, or drive the truck up after the test shot.......... \:o

Last edited by Rainman; 02/13/10 02:44 AM. Reason: white...brown...Don't matter much...I'm color blind hehehe

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Since 'rats are about 4"-5" dia, if you dope the wind correctly, it will reach out further than that to get them. Depending on how much coffee I had, it's running between 1/4 and 1/2 MOA c-c groups.

With a good background (i.e. tree) my rangefinder is repeatable to 2K yds. ;\) It's the wind that gets me. According to my ballistics program, the bullet is still supersonic past 2500 Yds.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
OK, ordered 5 new varieties from Dusty and Jess and Texas Water Lilies. That will bring me up to over 20.

Peaches and Cream.
Nymphea Orodato
Munkala Ubon
Glori Du Temple
Almost Black

For those of you who don't know they come bareroot, so I have special soil all lined up ready to go. I also have some floaters ready from some drought tolorant types I am working on developing for my neck of the woods. I will get some photos as Texas Water Lilies is going to have a customer section also. Everything wholesale except the Almost Black.Price coming down on those but still too high for the plant. A bit of hype there but customer ordered from me.

Also doing some heavy work eradicating Willows, which will fit in this thread also. Going to chainsaw and backhoe those bad boys. Photos there also.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What is your special soil mixture for the water lilies?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
You would be amazed but I found this abandoned beaver pond. And yes I have photos. This was in an old creek, just passing through a nothing field with wild grasses with lots of quail, dove and pheasants. Naturally with urban sprawl they built up all around it. I mean within 50 feet. The beavers started eating up all of the trees, so they wire meshed the trunks. Then they put all of the street drainage in to a large collection basin dumping just upstream of the beaver's pond. Beaver's hate that, hate dirty water they cannot control. So they left. And moved upstream where they still live. Within 20 feet of some people's back fence. So after 20 years this pond, which was hard pan clay bottom filled in. Maybe 24-30 inches of silt and soil, zero muck. It has 4 inch wide cracks all the way down to the hard pan.

I have never seen anything even close to this. The soil is incredibly fertile, well broken down slow release nutrients, completely weed free. A large cattail marsh in front of it filters everything out. But nothing grows in it. No algae, no bottom plants, nothing. I get a dozen 5 gallon buckets and load up chunks. As big as I want, they won't even fit in a bucket. It is gray bottom soil. If I hit the bottom, it is red clay, and does not budge. It dries out every season, and is very shallow. So I bring home the chunks, store them in planters and blend them with black muck, which is full of ready avaible nutrients.

I have ordered hundreds of lilies bareroot from Texas water lilies, and have never had a no show. I can make the soil any consistency, from almost soupy to modeling clay, depending on how much water content I add or subtract. Let me get some photos posted.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'm gonna have to talk at you about water lilies Pond Frog. I have two places in the pond that I want to put them but the water level in our pond varies so much I'm not quite sure how and where to plant them.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
As always, big thanks to my guy Omaha, who makes this forum a better place.

Photo #1 is a beaver den from the upper bank looking down. You can see slide and external water entrance.

Photo #2 is same den from side. That is why they say busy beavers. Inside will be a tunnel going directly to water. I have seen it before they built this den over it. This is less than 15 feet from somebody's backyard.

Photo #3 is there old pond. depth of this hole is about the same as a 5 gal bucket. Full size shovel and a shotgun shell perfectly preserved except some rust around the primer, unfired. It was below the gray bottom dirt, above the hardpan, when people still hunted here. A low base #8, 12 guage dove load. I imagine somebody dropped it around 1982 or so.

Photo #4 same hole but better lighting. You can see the hard pan bottom. You can also see the dark mosit bottom of the chunk with the shell on it. This is underwater in the spring, but the cracks are always there, even when it is full of water.

Photo #5 same hole but different angle and distance for reference. You can see my work gloves on a large chunk I bring home. This is at the very edge because those cracks are ankle breakers if you fall in and fall over. They are over 4 inches at most spots.

Photo #6 same chunk with gloves on top looking downstream. About a football field long. Just does not change. Year after year, fills full of water, dries out in Summer. Any new material just falls in cracks, which are a good 24-30 inches deep. No algae, no muck. All of the bullfrogs and turtles leave for the cattails upstream.

Photo #7. This is the upstream pond where the beaver den is, that was probably what it used to look like. There are some cattails but this is battle of the nastiest marginals, parrot feather and water primrose. It is mostly a draw. Neither one can over take the other, but nothing else can hang with them.

There are many dry spots all along this creek, which crosses both H99 and I5. But nothing remotely close to this. Maybe a couple inch cracks and muck, but that is it. I can take this pond bottom and store it in chunks for years. It never floats, never clouds water and has no weeds in it. When I blend it with black muck I have fast release nutrients and slow release nutrients. So my soil mix is ideal for lilies and marginals, similar to what they would thrive in at a pond.

Again, thanks to Omaha for helping me with photos.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I'm gonna have to talk at you about water lilies Pond Frog. I have two places in the pond that I want to put them but the water level in our pond varies so much I'm not quite sure how and where to plant them.

I'll work with you on that and am working on new strains that handle our drawdowns in El Dorado county. It is very tricky and I do consult Dusty from TWL on that exact subject. He says the same thing in good ol boy speak. "Man those conditions it would be hard for anything to survive." Gotta like Dusty. At least he is honest. So we are trying to factor in what features of the strains actually will work under those conditions. I'll try some more along with the proven strain I already have. The key besides a working strain is depth. They can't be too shallow, or too deep. They find their sweet depth on thier own if I don't get it right. And like our forum brother Dave I'll hook you up for close to nothing. Maybe just a chance to catch trophy gsf. You have my commitment, we will give it a try this season when water draws down.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Sounds great!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Hey guys, keep the burgermeister informed with your program.
I just transported 10 lilies that were planted in cat litter boxes in Top soil/sand mix for 7 hrs. I planted them in Feb. They had a rough ride; some soil bounced out, then it packed, but roots are still in tact. rhizomes half uncovered. Will add more soil today. Luckily they were the Orodatas and not the pricey ones. As Jeff, my pond is over full now, but will be pretty low by June. Hope I can get the well going and there is water down there. wish I had some of that dirt, Frog.

Last edited by burgermeister; 03/19/10 11:33 AM. Reason: t and r in the incorrect place on KB

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'd like to get some for my pond but my water stays pretty muddy. Will they get started growing with little sunlight? My pond is pretty bare now due to having it renovated last year so my wife is wanting me to get something growing around/in it. Or she just wants me out of the house! Is there a variety that grows very well with my comditions?

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Muddy water seems to be a hindrance. Looks like as with any other plant growing from the bottom, they get going faster with clear water. But somehow some way, lilies manage to find the surface. But I know of a winery pond that has a couple of patches in Amador county. Similar drawdown, and that water is always murky. At least when I have seen it. They are going to donate or trade a few this year, as they have two varieties I can't get elsewhere. And they seem to be acclimated for a nasty drawdown. Depends if they are tuber/rhizomes because they have to store that moisture and energy when they are out of water. At least that is what Dusty and I think. Big rhizome and fast spreaders. But to be honest, most of mine are in fairly clear water.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
 Originally Posted By: burgermeister
Hey guys, keep the burgermeister informed with your program.
I just transported 10 lilies that were planted in cat litter boxes in Top soil/sand mix for 7 hrs. I planted them in Feb. They had a rough ride; some soil bounced out, then it packed, but roots are still in tact. rhizomes half uncovered. Will add more soil today. Luckily they were the Orodatas and not the pricey ones. As Jeff, my pond is over full now, but will be pretty low by June. Hope I can get the well going and there is water down there. wish I had some of that dirt, Frog.

I ordered 5 of those this batch to get wholesale. They are not pricey like the other ones I ordered. You wouldn't think so, but lilies to have preferred depth. What I can do with Jeff's is take some of mine, that appear to have crowns and relocate them when they are dormant on a drawdown. They will just overwinter somewhere else. They should emerge next Spring. Mine are already.

I have experimented with several types of soil mixtures, trying to emulate pond bottom conditions lilies flourish at. Can't buy that kind of soil at the chain stores. You try any of that and it just floats away. I try to pot the bareroot stock as I have to do something with the plants when they arrive, and it gives me time to get them growing and find them a home in earthen ponds most of the time. Keeping them in pots just does not do them justice. Inhibits flowering, growth and reproduction. Kind of dwarfs them like a bonsai. But I have some mini varieties even in wine barrel ponds.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

What depth do the lilies do the best at? Could a platform be made that will support a container (or containers) filled with soil, and then floated with the platform at "X" depth? Unfortunately I don't have any idea on aestitec floats other than duck decoys.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog
As always, big thanks to my guy Omaha, who makes this forum a better place.

I feel like your secretary Richard. Haha. Thanks for the kind words. Your continued contributions are wonderful.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
If you look at texaswaterlily website each variety listed has an ideal depth. And they all differ. If you have the means, plant them directly in the ground, they just never fulfill thier potential in containers. Even dropped in a pond. The only reason I ever use containers is to limit growth. Or temporary holding. What I see is when I plant them they search out thier own ideal depth. They will move to different depths, either shallower or deeper. Once they find what the are looking for they start moving laterally, fast, along the same depth. They cannot do that in a container. What I like about lilies, besides thier obvious beauty is they provide shade and bass will hover under them in the Summer. They are very thin stemmed and the same fish will swim right through a patch, under it. They are average on forage cover, maybe below average. There is nothing like walking a popper or a frog across the pads and have a bass explode on it from underneath. Just a rush.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
PF, I was thinking of JHAP's pond (like mine) with the severe water depth fluctuation.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Sadly lilies are not made for severe water movement. Even Dusty from TWL says he is suprised mine made it. I have to be honest, that is an uphill battle with little chance of success. Sorry.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog
What I can do with Jeff's is take some of mine, that appear to have crowns and relocate them when they are dormant on a drawdown.

Originally Posted By: esshup
PF, I was thinking of JHAP's pond (like mine) with the severe water depth fluctuation.

I'd love to experiment with water lilies at our pond. We do have severe water depth fluctuation, in a "normal" year a 5 to 6 feet vertical drop is not unusual. Drought years are more like 7 to 8 feet. I had read quite a bit about water lilies and thought that I would have to plant them in a container and then move the container along with the drop in water level - that would just add one more thing to the "ranch to do list" - heck I can't get half the things done that I want to do on a regular basis as it is.

But I'm up for any experiment.

I haven't had a chance to read Bill Cody's article on Water Lilies in this issue of PB magazine - we just got our magazine yesterday. Ricki got all excited when she opened the magazine and saw Bill's article - guess I'm gonna have to wait until she's done reading the magazine before I can get my paws on it.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Well my drought busting strain is just excelling. I need to figure out why it is successful and add a few more types with different colors. I also went with some deep depth planting first time last season. When pond was all the way down I planted some about 8-9 feet below surface, including some droughtbusters. I planted about 7 different types, kind of thinking sacrificial lambs but at least half of them have made it to the top, and one is flowering already. But since I was so skeptical I did not label what went where, but I know what types, so I need to see flowers. I think deep growers is better than droughtbusters because they will be in the water many more months during drawdown.

And the droughtbuster flowers are just fantastic. Just huge flowers and dozens per patch. Very, very early. Big flowers and big leaves, I have four years field testing on those. I am thrilled. I wish I would have planted them in the front of the pond instead of way in the back where they are hidden from the nonfishing residents. After this storm I'll go back and get some photos. I was mostly thinning bulrush and cattails. Avoiding the nesting coots.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves