Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mach316 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I have an 11 ac pond that is about 4 yrs old and is pretty void of cover, except for the 20 or so brushpiles that i have placed in it. The pond was stocked last spring with large mouth, bluegills and redears and all have done well it seems. I would like to introduce some type of vegetation, but not real sure what type i would need. I really enjoy fishing hydrilla in big lakes, and would like something similar to that. Some shallow water vegetation would be nice too if it does not take over. I know hydrilla can really take over a lake quickly, so i was wondering if there was some type of weed similar to hydrilla that would not grow as dense and spread like crazy. Another thing, how in the world do you introduce these plants in an already full pond. Also, where do you get these plants. Thanks for the help.......

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
mach,
There have been many discussions on plants. You can do a search here-in for lots of recommendations.
Here's a link for starters:
http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000018

BTW welcome!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Mach,

Aquatic vegetation can dramatically enhance or detract from your ponds function and aesthetics. There are two things you need to take into consideration for your project to be able to maximize your enhancement value and minimize your destructive value:

1. Determine your goals...this will be your guiding light in how you make the decisions below

2. Use native, non-invasive plant species. i.e. not hydrilla.

3. Use vegetation that is native to your geographic region.

4. Use vegetation that is hardy to your soils and water chemistry for your area.

5. Make sure the vegetation you use is not on the illegal and prohibited species list in your state and USDA.

USDA's List:
Federal List--From the USDA APHIS
Federal list from: USDA/APHIS/PPQ. Part 360 -- Noxious Weed Regulations. Authority: 7 U.S.C. 2803 and 2809; 7 CFR 2.17, 2.51 and 371.2(C).

Aquatic/Wetland

Azolla pinnata: mosquito fern, water velvet
Caulerpa taxifolia: Mediterranean clone of caulerpa)
Eichhornia azurea: anchored water hyacinth
Hydrilla verticillata: hydrilla
Hygrophila polysperma: hygro, Miramar weed
Ipomoea aquatica: water spinach
Lagarosiphon: major African elodea, oxygen weed
Limnophila sessiliflora ambulia
Melaleuca quinquenervia melaleuca
Monochoria hastata monochoria
Monochoria vaginalis
Ottellia alismoides: duck-lettuce
Sagittaria sagittifolia
Salvinia auriculata: giant salvinia
Salvinia biloba: giant salvinia
Salvinia herzogii: giant salvinia
Salvinia molesta: giant salvinia
Solanum tampicense: wetland nightshade
Sparganium erectum: exotic bur-reed

* Remember federal rule supersedes state and local rule.

Reevaluate your goals and make sure they are being met with the vegetation plan you've chosen.

Good luck!

C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
Trent,

Excellent recomendations!

M
mach316 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Ok, I think I have narrowed it down a bit. I'm considering either eel grass or great bullrush because of the deeper depth range and its slower growth rates (from what i have read). As far as the shallows are concerned, I am considering some type of watter lilly, but am concerned if i will have to do anything to it after it is introduced. Tell me what you guys think, because I have no clue. Thanks again for all the help.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
mach316 - Here are my thoughts about your plants. Firstly eelgrass is an underwater submerged plant that lives its entire life basically under water. Great bulrush is an emergent plant which grows rooted in shallow water and the bulk of the plant is above water similar to cattails. Bulrush has round stems versus the flat stems for cattails. Also Bulrush may not grow quite as dense or compact stems as the cattails. Both of these emergent plants can grow up to 3-4ft deep in good soil conditions with 3ft-5ft sticking above water.

Eel grass will be okay for your pond but since you are in the south make sure that you plant only corkscrew eelgrass aka spiral eelgrass(tapegrass). I can't emphasize this too much for your situation. Spiral eelgrass is a much better underwater rooted plant for a smaller pond. It is supposed to only grow to 10"-14" tall as an underwater weed bed. If you don't like the spiral eelgrass after a few years you can always plant the regular form of eelgrass later.

Regular eelgrass can easily grow to 3ft to 8 ft tall in optimum clear water conditons. Most other species of underwater plants will grow 3ft to 7 ft tall which is actually too tall for a small pond and they are likely to need severe thinning or drastic weed control in a small pond.

Another alternative OR in addition to spiral eelgrass is dwarf Sagittaria (aka dwarf arrowhead). This also grows primarily underwater similar to eelgrass but dwarf Sagattaria only grows to about 4"- 6" tall. So if you want planted areas with a short dense carpet like growth, then plant some dwarf Sagattaria.

Since you are in a "warm state" (FL?) and you probably have a fairly shallow average depth pond, then I think it is again importrant to initially stay with the shorter forms and smaller spreading water lilies. Start by only planting the dwarf types. The place where yo ubuy your lilies should be abe to help you with proper selection of speices. Just specify you need dwarf species. As time goes by and you decide you need more water lily coverage then you can plant some of the larger spreading species / forms.

Plant the proper species or forms and the only thing you will basically need to do for the first several years is to watch them grow and remove or control the wild competing weeds.

Keep us informed of your progress and and how well the plants are growing for you. A couple photos would be nice once things get growing. Good luck with growing some beneficial plants.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
M
mach316 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Is there someone online that sells these types of plants. I'm having a hard time finding someone here in Arkansas. BTW thanks for all the suggestions..

B
B
Great info Bill!
I haven't read about dwarf sagittaria before will it grow in Indiana?

Do you have link to more info.

Thanks.........

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??