Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,418
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Bobbss, esshup, Boondoggle), 754 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#36613 04/05/05 11:41 AM
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
I have read thru many of the posts here regarding Lilly Pads ( water lilies ) and wondering, without using all the scientific names, what type would be a good variety to use in michigan and where do I get them. I have an area that is about 20' wide and 80'long with an average depth of 2ft that I want to plant a lily type plant to help control water plantain and add a little vairety to the pond. Flowering Color is not really an issue. 20' out from shore the water quickly drops off to 11 ft, and the pond is 1/2 acre in size.

Its not how well you do something,
Its how well you look doing it!

#36614 04/05/05 02:12 PM
C
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador <br /> Field Correspondent
Lunker
C
Fragrent White Water Lily works well. Any lily though not being kept in check with a physical removal or herbicidal treatment could get out of hand quickly. Fortunately with you being in MI, it helps when the lake freezes.

I would check with a company in MD called Lilypons. Their web site is www.lilypons.com

Good luck!

#36615 05/07/05 11:55 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
You might need to be a little wary of purchasing waterlilies. Some varieties are very well behaved, spread at the predictable pace of a foot per year at most and do not produce a brutally large knot of many crowns.

Many of the hardy hybrids have the 'choice' features of prolific flowering, with modest spreading habit.

Some of the hardy hybrids are brutes... Attraction and Colorado come to mind. They might make a dozen crowns a year and produce a massive large knot of rhisomes.

Thats a lot of crowns and a massive knot of rhisomes in four years, one year 12, year two 144, year three 1,728, year four may be Lake Woebegone and a titanic knot of stuff a team of wrestlers with chain saws could not sort out

Waterlilies at the cheap end of the market tend to be invasive brutes, where folk are desperate to get rid of them. Expect them to be found at Walmarts and ebay at rock bottom prices...

The native hardies can be bad news, odoratas may spread fifteen feet a year when they get going

Any lily grower who knows their stuff will steer you toward the more suitable varieties that are robust enough for native plantings but present a more reliable growing rate.

The only snag being of course, the availability of sedate well behaved varieties is quite different to the availability and price of the brutes...

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

#36616 05/08/05 07:54 AM
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Have always enjoyed your posts Andy. Good info!
Good to see you're still stopping in once in a while!

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
#36617 05/08/05 12:53 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
... year four may be Lake Woebegone and a titanic knot of stuff a team of wrestlers with chain saws could not sort out."

I like Andy's writing style too! \:D

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#36618 05/08/05 09:12 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
In addition to Andy's good information - for starters any of the following would fit into "choice features". Letter KEY.Y=yellow, P=pink, C=changeable, W=white, R=red. Chromatella-Y,

Marliac Rose-P, Rose Arey-P, Firecrest-P,

Comanche-C, Paul Hariot-C, Sioux-C, Berit Strawn-C,

Perry's White Wonder-W, Gonnere-W, Hermine-W, Candida-W,

James Brydon-R, Gloriosa-R, Froebeli-R, Perry's Dwarf Red-R, Little Champion, Wow-R. Perry's Baby Red-R,

Some of the medium spreading lilies I personally like in a larger pond are- pink senstation, Perry's fire opal-P, Peter slocum-P, Perrys wildfire-P, Atropurpurea-R, Yellow Sensation (nice but a strong spreader), Gold metal-Y,

There are a whole lot of lily varieties out there with more being developed each year. This is probably why Andy did not start listing names. Once you find a few names of local lilies and first before buying, I suggest you do a little homework regarding growth spread size and size pool they are recommended for. Generally lilies for small to medium pools are fairly slow spreaders and do not grow real deep which are the types you should be looking for.

If you provide Andy or me a lily name we can provide an opionion about each type for you.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#36619 05/08/05 10:13 PM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
awww, thanks for the kind words for an old time water gardener

\:\)

Yups, there are lots of hardy waterlilies, some 1,600 plus named ones at the last count

Personal favourites for big pond settings:

Pink: Marliacea Carnea, Madame Wilfron Gonnere, Hollandia, Fabiola,

Red: Charles de Meurville, Escarboucle, Conqueror, Atropurpurea, Splendida, Rene Gerard

Yellows: Chromatella, Sunrise, Yellow Princess

Whites: Richardsonii, Gonnere, Perry's (several whites) Virginia

Changeables: Lucida, Indiana, Comanche, Colorado Peach

Typical spread for each lily position is likely to be about 40sq.ft for each lily when it gets going, you may need to 'crop' the well behaved ones once every three years, plants lifted can be used to start new positions...

Planting an area 30% with waterlilies, cropping them when they cover 60% is not so bad a chore when waters are good for a paddle

Regards, andy

#36620 05/09/05 07:11 AM
F
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
F
Thanks for all the great suggestions, now I need to find a local supplier if there is any. Thanks Again!!

Its not how well you do something,
Its how well you look doing it!

#36621 05/13/05 11:04 PM
G
G
Yikes...didn't know "Attractions" was a problem species... I bought one of those and a Fabiola at Wal-Mart today. $4.88 each. Someone said Menards also sells these sorts of things.

Lew
GoldenPondFarm.Com

#36622 05/14/05 12:42 PM
K
ken Offline
Lunker
Lunker
K
i purchased mine at Wal-mart for 4.88 . i put them in pots , the ones i liked and the fish liked i kept. everyone wants 15 to 30 bucks for a weed , crazy. :rolleyes:

i only wanted to have some fun
#36623 05/19/05 03:19 AM
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
$15 to $30 spent at a decent collection is going to get you

1) A healthy plant lifted with its roots in good condition, little doubt about it starting up in good conditions

2) An accurate name and description you can check for reference, you know what its size, bloom colour and growing characteristics are likely to be

3) Advice direct from the folk who cultivated them, guiding you to varieties which should suit your pond

4) Plants which have not been hacked poorly, carry water lily root rot, dried close to destruction, transported from china in who knows what conditions...

What you are likely to find from Walmarts is a cheap hack job, identity unknown half dead stump of a measly small side crown, which may well be a weed variety nobody in there right mind would choose to plant in a pond if they really knew what it was...

If the withered stump manages to recover, it may well be a year before it gets to anywhere near a flowering size, by which time you have had ample opportunity to discover you have been sold something which does not make flowers worth a darn for the mountainous pile of foliage it makes and is well on its way to being a mess twenty feet wide and six feet high expanding at the rate of fifteen feet a year

While your Walmarts weed may well turn out to be a laborious blot on the landscape for many years, the well chosen named classy variety will be chugging out blooms and present far less grief, labour and cost to tidy up... plus you might have a queue of folk hoping to buy the spares of the classy named variety

The weed from Walmarts? you will have trouble getting it out of the pond, let alone finding anyone dumb enough to take it

Regards, andy

#36624 05/19/05 01:11 PM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Fozzybear,

There's a water garden place on I-275 South of the airport just before Flat Rock, MI. Take Exit 11 or 8 to get there; they are on a dirt road on the west side of I-275. They have all kinds of plants there on display and lots of other neat stuff. I picked up some netting there and was surprised at their variety of plants.

Chip

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails