Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,938
Posts557,717
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
7 members (Theeck, Augie, Lake8, FishinRod, Joe7328, Sunil, Theo Gallus), 825 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
T
Casual Interest in fly, totally interested in catches. wink

S
S
I need to hear about those earthworms on a fly rod! I've thought of sweetening flies with some bait....

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Yeah Stan, we'll talk about all this stuff.....reports that earthworms one technique to catch tilapia.
I need to talk to some of our guys that are out of pocket right now and get their input - this will have to be a joint effort in order to make it fly (pun intended). grin

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
There's been some talk about reducing the total amount of topics/categories on the forum for some time now, but no action.

It's probably not a big deal to add a fly fishing area, but other areas need to be combined/reduced first.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
That's the main reason I wanted a survey to determine the amount of interest in pond fly fishing, to warrant the amount of effort to do this thing right.
I don't want to do it at all if it can't be done right.

I agree too many topics as is.
George

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Sunil
There's been some talk about reducing the total amount of topics/categories on the forum for some time now, but no action.

It's probably not a big deal to add a fly fishing area, but other areas need to be combined/reduced first.

OK, Sunil down for no interest. grin
First honest answer for level of interest in pond fly fishing!
That’s the reason asked for:
Very Interested
Casual interest.
No interest.

Man up guys and cast your vote - if no interest in this topic we need to know.
Thanks for everyone’s reply.
George

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I'm in the casual interest category!

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Casual interest+

Just do it...
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Talk about coincidences – putting thoughts together this morning and running my traps to review sources of fly fishing information, I consulted with a good friend who is the moderator for the Fly Fishing section in Texas Fishing Forum.
I bounced my ideas off him, asking if I could use their tackle and technique information for our pending Pond Fly Fishing thread.
He thought it an excellent idea and gave it a thumbs up!
The Texas Fishing Forum moderator thought it would benefit both PondBoss and Texas Fishing Forum – the one and same forum owned by Mr. J,P. Greeson, quoted by Mr. Lusk this morning in his 2014 thread:
“JP owns several fishing forums, including the highly successful "Texas Fishing Forum". His forum dwarfs ours in terms of number of members, number of posts, etc.”
George

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: george1
George

George:

How would you consolidate the existing topics to make room for the fly fishing topic, and would the fly fishing topic be just one or different ones? Or should there be a "fishing" topic with baitcasting, fly fishing, spinning, other catagories?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: george1
George

George:
How would you consolidate the existing topics to make room for the fly fishing topic, and would the fly fishing topic be just one or different ones? Or should there be a "fishing" topic with baitcasting, fly fishing, spinning, other catagories?

That is a good question Scott, and the one that concerns me the most.
If we just “scattershoot” the Pond FF threads on something like the Q&O category it will just get lost with nothing accomplished.

That bothers me because fly-fishing is not a complicated subject, especially if it is contained in ponds only.

If there could be a category such as Pond Fishing then all pond tackle and fishing techniques could be included. My goal is to get more pond guys into fly fishing when most think it’s difficult – which it is not when confined to ponds only.

Take a look at how the categories are handled on the Texas Fishing Forum.
They have a good fly fishing category but covers all aspects, except pond fishing. There is a bias toward guys with private waters – we take our ponds for granted but others are sometimes resentful of our special resources.
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I had rather defer the Pond Fly Fishing idea until it can be well thought out and benefits those that are interested.
There have been a few Pond Fly Fishing articles in PB magazine that were very interesting to me – perhaps this topic would help increase magazine subscriptions.

You mods figure this out – I want it well done or not at all.

Thanks for your help,
George

R
Hall of Fame
Fingerling
Hall of Fame
Fingerling
R
Very interested. I have fly fished on my pond and have caught BG, LMB, Tilapia, fence, tree, house, grass, all with the same outfit from a garage sale. I don't know anything about the equipment and I buy my flies from the local wally world and the like. Should be an interesting topic.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
George...I did some limited fly-fishing in Colorado during summer vacations back in my younger days. Currently I do not own a fly fishing outfit. Can you take a look at the link below and suggest something a beginner like myself should consider for purchase to give fly-fishing a try in my pond?

Bass Pro Shops Fly Fishing Outfits

Fishing has never been about the fish....

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Zep
George...I did some limited fly-fishing in Colorado during summer vacations back in my younger days. Currently I do not own a fly fishing outfit. Can you take a look at the link below and suggest something a beginner like myself should consider for purchase to give fly-fishing a try in my pond?

Yeah Mark, I sure can and that question you asked is the main reason for this survey - I have a feeling that this is the info needed to start fly fishing our ponds.
Let's wait to see if the Pond Fly Fishing subject makes the cut for a separate category, if not these questions will be addressed on a one on one basis.
OK?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks George. I had not really been interested in fly-fishing in my ponds, but yesterday as I passed by the pond with no trees on the shoreline I thought "hey George may be right, it could be a blast catching bluegills on a fly-rod". Especially since I don't really like spinning reels and Zebco 33's have never really casted small super light lures to my liking. I look forward to learning more about this.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I think a fishing category would be a nice addition to the forum.

The forum base is way too broad to limit it tho.

I can't thank AL and Scott enough for helping me select a new spinning rig.

I've done some fly fishing in my younger years, and it's a blast! I most certainly would like to learn more and get a new rig.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
We're paying attention...
Moderators are discussing behind the scenes.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk

Bob something like this would be nice.

Fly Fishing Ponds (with George)

B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
My interest in actually fly fishing is low, but my interest in reading about it is high. (I've got one arm that doesn't work very well and that is the reason I likely won't give fly fishing a try, but I enjoy reading about it). Years ago when I wrapped my own fishing rods and was into trout stream fishing in Missouri I bought the lightest six foot blank I could find and wrapped and matched with the right reel and line. I opened the Missouri trout season at one of the busiest pools at Montauk state park. I was so bad at casting that I soon went to the spinning outfit. A few months later my wife helped me pack my rods into one of those fiber tube rod holders. She successful helped me make my six footer into a 5 - 6. Haven't tried fly fishing since. I did catch one trout on that first outing. I was just about to give up and the line and fly were lying at my feet in shallow water when a just released hatchery trout swam up and grabbed the fly. Nothing like going out as a winner.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: Bob Lusk

Thanks Bob!
If consolidation is involved and conventional fishing gear is included, please keep it separate from fly fishing category.
As you know, casting and spinning gear cast lures, jigs and plugs.

Fly rods cast the fly line and the fly goes along for the ride!
Total different systems....of course your call. smile
George

S
S

Zep, I'm certainly not George but after our Canada trip I drove straight to BPS in Pearland and bought the White River Classic outfit and all the stuff I needed to fish for bass and BG's. I have since changed the line once and I'm very happy with this package. Of course, I don't know squat about anything else. grin

But, BG and small bass on a 5 wt is fun!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I recently broke out my 6-7 fly rod this past summer in a neighborhood retention pond I stocked.

Throwing a bass-bug-frog for top water LMB, SMB, and HSB.....Good times...

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: StanV

Zep, I'm certainly not George but after our Canada trip I drove straight to BPS in Pearland and bought the White River Classic outfit and all the stuff I needed to fish for bass and BG's. I have since changed the line once and I'm very happy with this package. Of course, I don't know squat about anything else. grin

But, BG and small bass on a 5 wt is fun!

Hey Guys, I would wager that this is the most frequent asked question on any fly fishing forum I have ever visited.
If we get the green light for Pond Fly Fishing topic - this will be the lead-off question!
Thanks!

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
George although I speak from fly fishing ignorance I think I would prefer a reel that you reel in by hand rather that the button type that reels in automatically. When I was in my teens I had the automoatic kind. Or do all fly fisherman bring their fish in by hand rather than reel the fish in? Is the reel part just for retrieving line instead of the fish? Or can it be a little bit of both?

G
george1 Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
G
Yep, just bring 'em in by hand - reel is just for line storage....
"IT ALL DEPENDS".... unless you have a big HSB or GC and then it's entirely a different matter... grin
We'll talk about this stuff!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/16/24 02:35 PM
Braggin Time
by Lake8 - 04/16/24 02:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday