Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,972
Posts558,080
Members18,508
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,556
ewest 21,500
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
2 members (Snipe, H20fwler), 534 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: lassig
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: lassig
Only in the 3-6 range for me but I have to drive to Chicago on Monday afternoon and hope the roads are clear. It will be bad enough dealing with the below zero temps on the drive. The up side is that I will be in Charlotte, NC for the rest of the week where the temps are 20 to 30+ degrees warmer than here. Doubt I will be get to enjoy them much.

You better monitor the weather closely on Monday. If it blows like they say it will it's supposed to be life threatening to travel on Monday along with the negative zero temps. I doubt the wife will have school on Monday.

Thought better of it and drove the 4 hours yesterday afternoon. So in Naperville now. On the bright side we goose hunted this morning and shot a 5 man limit in 30 minutes. Makes up for those slow days.

Smart move!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Went to the gas station earlier. Got about 2" of snow overnight. It's all slush under the white covering.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
It's finally getting with the program today. Visibility reducing to half mile or less.

The dog loves it and doesn't want to come in. But then again she is an Akita, the breed that comes from the northern snow covered mountains of Japan.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Luna loved the snow. You couldn't get her inside for nothing. Maybe a quick visit trying to get me outside, so I'd jump on the tractor, then Coco and Oreo would show up when they heard my tractor. We would spend an hour or two just putting around the woods. They loved it!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Absolutely dumping it down. We've got about 6" now, (since 8:00am this morning), and they claim we could see another 6 before it's done. It's very surreal... the county road and the highway are completely deserted, so it's almost dead quiet.

Except for the sound of limbs cracking. I went outside and just stood still and listened. About every 45 seconds or so you can hear one pop, then come crashing down. Not a good idea to be in the woods right now.

If the wind picks up like they say it's going to, there will be trees and limbs down everywhere. We expect to lose power later tonight, so we're trying to prepare. Going to be very cold for the next couple of days.

Kids are supposed to go back to school tomorrow, from Christmas break.....not going to happen, I'm guessing, until at least Thursday. But...more snow on the way Wed. and Thur, so who knows.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Down to 1/8th mile visibility now from time to time. Wind just started picking up and temp just dropped one degree to 29 F.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
Luna loved the snow. You couldn't get her inside for nothing. Maybe a quick visit trying to get me outside, so I'd jump on the tractor, then Coco and Oreo would show up when they heard my tractor. We would spend an hour or two just putting around the woods. They loved it!

Dogs are so awesome. Not only do they like to play like kids they always have to be involved in what you're doing. When I had my last dog and I let her run free, whatever project I was working on outside she was right there checking it out. At first she really looked it over and sniffed it like she was doing a safety inspection.

The present dog stays on a lease when I walk her. The highway is too busy and she has no concept of cars unlike the last dog.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/14 03:31 PM.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
A foot so far. This is the first time in 30 years my wife and I have been without a dog. Our new puppy is supposed to be old enough to pick up in a couple weeks.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Here's a few pics up here. I think only five inches so far but the wind is gusting up to 18 mph now and keeps getting stronger. Temps have dropped five degrees in the last few hours to 25.

Looking out toward the big pond and the highway. Not much traffic. Feel sorry for the Semi drivers that drive through this for a living.

Out back toward the trout pond and other three ponds behind it:

In front of the garage. When it's over I'll have fun with the snowblower. My neighbor was out and finally gave up. He looked like a moving snow drift. LOL

About time to shovel off the balcony outside my parent's apartment.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/14 04:15 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RAH
A foot so far. This is the first time in 30 years my wife and I have been without a dog. Our new puppy is supposed to be old enough to pick up in a couple weeks.

I guess the rain/snow line is just south of Indy. I can't imagine not having a dog.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/14 04:08 PM.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We lost two 14 year-old dogs this year (actually 2013). A new puppy will be a challenge in the house during the winter. I'm ready for a road trip!

Last edited by RAH; 01/05/14 04:54 PM.
L
L
Bums! Ours is currently melting as we are on the warm side of the storm. The cold will rush in later without replacing it.

At least we are not downwind from Lake Ontario, they are expecting 5 to 6 FEET of snow on only 36 hours east of the lake after the front goes through. I may have to skip out of work early with my snowshoes to check it out. Very localized, but snowfall rates of 2-3 inches per hour.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We've had snowfall rates of 2 + inches an hour for several hours now. Snow is horizontal because of the wind. Esshup (Scott) has a blizzard warning with gusts up to 40 mph and temps of 10 below sometime tonight. Max snowfall rates are going to be about 16 inches.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You guys stay safe up there. Our power has gone off twice in the last half hour, but thankfully returned. I don't think that will be the case much longer, however.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
If you lose the 'fridge, Sparkie, I've got a couple of coolers I can loan you.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I took some pictures today when I was out and about. I'll upload them tomorrow and post 'em, I'm not planning on going out tomorrow - too much stuff to do inside.

15 minute drive this afternoon was 45 minutes. The counties around here are closed. No plows or tow trucks out. There's a ban on driving unless it's an emergency. If you are out, the police WILL ticket you. When I got home it took me 2 hrs to clear out the driveway. Cecil, I looked like your neighbor - a moving snowdrift. Eyebrows, mustache, beard and any hair that was sticking outside the hat was froze solid by the time I was done. Kate was outside running around the whole time, and now she's sleeping in front of the fireplace insert.

The wind is starting to pick up even more, every once in a while the house creaks and groans. The cold front hasn't made it here yet. Still in the low 20's but 90 miles away in Chicago my buddy said it was -4.

We might break a 125 year old record for the lowest high temp tomorrow. Now they're calling for it to warm up to -10°F.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
O
Ended up with around 10" of light fluffy snow and temps have fallen below zero with serious wind.. Last I checked real feel for us was -30°.. Just got home from cleaning the drive at work which will probably be half blown back in by morning.. All county roads in my area are closed except for emergency only.. Fire departments have been using snow mobiles for rescue efforts for the idiots that feel they need to go for a ride in the county..

New house is popping and cracking like no tomorrow... Hoping we don't loose power for the only backup heat I have is a gas fire place.. Wife has mentioned a whole house generator since moving in but it just hasn't been on the priority list... Might have been a mistake not moving that up!!!

Stay safe for any of those that have to be out in this mess...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mom & Dad put in a propane fuel auto start backup whole house genset. Dad complained that they didn't use it for the first 2 years. Now that they've used it a number of times he isn't complaining anymore. When they bought the place they were told that the power "never" goes out.

Power has been out for over 12 hrs once, and they can see a sub-station not 1/2 mile away. He's not complaining any more. wink

I can deal with the power going out in the summer, but not when it's 0°F out! I have a gasoline generator that will run 12 hrs on one tank. It's enough to keep the essentials running - furnace or A/C, refigerator and freezers plus a little bit extra juice left over.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
J
Dolly, my dog and I walk regardless of the weather. This morning at 2:00 AM it was -9 chill factor and about 10 inches of snow. Good healthy exercise. Got to plow the driveway later.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Scott,

Where are your parents living right now? I think you said they sold the place in Chicago and are on the lake?

I cheated this morning. The dog needed to go potty and I stayed inside. (It's been so dry in the house even with the fish tank she's been drinking a lot of water.) She didn't go far or was out there very long. She kept looking back at me as if she was afraid I was going to leave her out there. grin Even a spitzbreed dog has its limitations!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/06/14 03:39 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Dolly, my dog and I walk regardless of the weather. This morning at 2:00 AM it was -9 chill factor and about 10 inches of snow. Good healthy exercise. Got to plow the driveway later.

Myself I'm going to wait for the wind to die down first.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
-13 right now. Glad to have a good wood stove going, but we still have power. Think we got a foot on top of few inches we had on the ground when it started falling. Should warm up in a couple days.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
10 below here, with 9" of snow. It's a Beautiful, sunny morning. Still have power, thank goodness.

All roads in the county are closed except for emergency traffic....what drifts I can see appear to be quite impressive.

I know it's nothing like what you guys are dealing with, but I actually walked on the ice on my pond this morning. That's a first here for sure.

AL

J
J
No snow here. Just 2 degrees F with a wind chill of -10 F. Chopping ice won't be too fun this morning.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Tbar
Recent Posts
New pond stocking
by Snipe - 05/01/24 01:32 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by H20fwler - 05/01/24 12:17 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FishinRod - 04/30/24 09:50 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by esshup - 04/30/24 09:31 PM
First Post - Managing 27 Acre Pond
by esshup - 04/30/24 05:07 PM
Fish food
by LANGSTER - 04/30/24 03:11 PM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by ghdmd - 04/30/24 11:41 AM
When Trespassers Ignore the Signs (funny)
by Boondoggle - 04/30/24 11:32 AM
Frustrated
by Snipe - 04/30/24 10:53 AM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/30/24 07:56 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 06:28 PM
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/29/24 05:35 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday