Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, Snipe, Boondoggle, Fishingadventure), 965 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB
There is no optimum depth for an air lift. It's all about the requirements for the current task at hand. What you need!!!

Air lifts can be built and employed with unlimited head! Geyser pumps are more controllable tho.

Let me restate that: For the aquaculture purposes I have in mind, and for the greatest efficiency -- after testing by those that have been experimenting with various diameter PVC and different sign air pumps -- 1.75 meters (65 inches) seems to be optimum.

You can use all the air you want but there comes a point where you're using so much power you might as well go to a water pump.

The thing I and others are trying to achieve is using the least amount of energy to move water around a system at the quantities we are interested in.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Understand where you are coming from Cecil, but there is plenty engineering information on air lifts. Unfortunately, you have to pay for most of it.

Air lift's are not "new" and have been around for over 100 years. There are many industries, world wide, that use air lift's. Air lift's are the second most used type of pump in the Aquaculture industry. Sea water systems use air lift's because of the corrosive nature of sea water.

Pressure = Power. The deeper you go, the more power you'll need. You can almost 5X the flow of an air lift just by doubling the size of the pipe, whereas you would have to go 10X deeper with higher pressure to achieve the same flow in the smaller pipe.

I'm sure you'll figure out something, and am not knocking this in any way, just that I'll trust the engineering info.

Air lift's are not a one size fit's all type of device. Nice thing is they are cheap!!!

If you haven't connected the dot's, almost everything in the Aquaculture Industry comes from the water/waste water industry.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Understand where you are coming from Cecil, but there is plenty engineering information on air lifts. Unfortunately, you have to pay for most of it.

Naah. No need to pay for it. grin Don't need anything industrial scale. I'll try a couple of types of DIY manifolds and pressure chambers with different pipe sizes and use what works best for my application. I'm in the process of locating a tank I can do my testing in.

Air lift's are not "new" and have been around for over 100 years.

Try over 200 years; was invented by Carl Emmanuel Loscher in 1797.

There are many industries, world wide, that use air lift's.

Yeah I knew that too...

Air lift's are the second most used type of pump in the Aquaculture industry.

You couldn't prove that by me. I have yet to see a fresh water recirculating system that is run on air lifts and I've seen quite a few including multimillion dollar systems. But if you say so.

Sea water systems use air lift's because of the corrosive nature of sea water.

I guess I'm not aware of any sea water systems in Indiana. So there aren't water pumps that are made to withstand corrosion?

Pressure = Power. The deeper you go, the more power you'll need. You can almost 5X the flow of an air lift just by doubling the size of the pipe, whereas you would have to go 10X deeper with higher pressure to achieve the same flow in the smaller pipe.

Don't want to use more power; I want to use less. That's my main impetus for designing a system that runs on air lifts.

And yes diameter of the pipe is one of the parameters, but remember I don't need industrial scale power at industrial scale power consumption.

I'm sure you'll figure out something, and am not knocking this in any way, just that I'll trust the engineering info.

I always do. wink

Air lift's are not a one size fit's all type of device. Nice thing is they are cheap!!!

Nothing in this world is one size fits all. Nothing. grin

If you haven't connected the dot's, almost everything in the Aquaculture Industry comes from the water/waste water industry.

I knew that from my waste water class in fisheries science before you were born. wink Dude really? You didn't think I knew that? It's in all the recirculating texts. shocked

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/04/14 11:49 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Your funny laugh

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You're funny laugh

I try to be. wink

I'm also OCD when it comes to grammar, hence why I corrected your use of your (sic) vs. you're.

Sorry can't help myself! crazy

My Ipad drives me crazy 'cause I don't notice typo errors until after I come back and read the thread again!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/14 11:44 AM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Grammar police laugh

Yeah, you've mentioned a mental disorder on a few occasions. Everyone has their quirks wink

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Grammar police laugh

Yeah, you've mentioned a mental disorder on a few occasions. Everyone has their quirks wink

That's for sure! whistle

Hey you'll never guess what I'm writing about right now for our next aquaculture association newsletter. smirk Should I quote you on any of your posts?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/05/14 12:23 PM.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
You can write anything you want!

F
F
Sorry it took so long.

Here is the site to Sulzer's float triggers but I cant find a price.

http://www.sulzer.com/en/Products-and-Se...Float-Switch-KS

Similar products that give lots of varying depth control run around $100 for dual float system. The top float starts it and the bottom float stops it.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks fishm n!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
It's just a signaling device.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
dit-dot-dash? wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
29 bucks.

Automation Direct

Esshup, those blue switches I gave you list at about 100.00 each for 1. I have about 25 more. What to do with all those dang level switches??? Have about 60 of the other ones, and I'll never use them eek

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...