Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
3 members (Fishingadventure, Boondoggle, Jward87), 716 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#359584 12/10/13 09:11 AM
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Israeli Carp have been mentioned several times as an option to help control FA in ponds. I have had good results with Koi contolling FA. It is my understanding that Israeli Carp and Koi are actually the same species. If this is the case, why not just use Koi in place of Ireali Carp as it seems dificult for some people to sorce IC and Koi are readily available?

Last edited by BobbyRice; 12/10/13 09:12 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
RER #359587 12/10/13 09:25 AM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Bobby...I found it very difficult to find Israeli Carp in Texas. Overton's could not get them, nor other sources I checked. Someone on here, maybe John Monroe or Catmandoo has had great luck with the Israeli Carp. The only problem I worry about with Koi is don't they reproduce like crazy? There is a guy just down the road from me that has a small pond loaded with Koi and he said he would sell me a few really cheap, but I have not done it due to fear of ending up with too many Koi.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

RER #359589 12/10/13 09:37 AM
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I would think Ireali Carp and Koi reproduce at the same rate as they are supossed to be the same species. Actually koi might not recruit as well do to the bright colors. I am about 85% sure and not 100% on this thats why I posted the question.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
RER #359597 12/10/13 10:33 AM
S
S
Are Koi just big goldfish? Wife looked up the word Koi and it just means carp. I guess it sounds more exotic to have Koi fish than carp fish.

Somebody set me straight. There surely is a difference.

Last edited by snrub; 12/10/13 10:34 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
snrub #359598 12/10/13 10:48 AM
J
J
Originally Posted By: snrub
Are Koi just big goldfish? Wife looked up the word Koi and it just means carp. I guess it sounds more exotic to have Koi fish than carp fish.

I believe this is correct. They are just more colorful.

jludwig #359599 12/10/13 11:09 AM
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: jludwig
Originally Posted By: snrub

I believe this is correct. They are just more colorful.

I do know that Koi are not just big goldfish. They are a differant species. I do believe koi are just colored common carp or colored Israeli carp.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 12/10/13 11:10 AM.

RER #359600 12/10/13 11:17 AM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
This link could be helpful:

"Israeli coloured Ghost koi and ghost carp are the same fish and are carp hybrids, the result of a cross between a metallic koi and a common carp. NB This is not a hybridisation between species but between varieties of the same species producing fertile offspring. Recognising that koi are the same species as carp (Cyprinus carpio) and it is through man's selective breeding that koi occur in an infinite array of colours and patterns, it is not surprising that a cross between metallic koi and common carp produces viable offspring - ghost koi. These offspring exhibit 'hybrid vigour' where the hybrids outperform the parents' growth, fertility and health"

http://www.cascadekoi.com/Koi/IsraeliGhostKoi.aspx

RER #359608 12/10/13 12:19 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Here is a little background for this topic. Cyprinus carpio is the scientific name - common name is common carp aka German carp. Koi are considered domesticated varieties of common carp, but koi still are the same species - Cyprinus carpio. Mirror carp is considered a subspecies and the technical name is Cyprinus carpio var. specularis but they still belong to the same species as common carp (see below). Mirror carp would be similar to Florida bass being a subspecies of northern largemouth bass; very similar but slightly different. As another example for this discussion it is similar to cattle; Angus, Herford, Holstein, Jersey, Texas long horn, Brahma, etc - all same scientific specie of cow.

Common carp, koi, mirror, and leather carp are biologically quite similar in terms of the same basic physical structure, placement, appearance of fins, mouth barbels, and other various body structure characteristics which play roles in separating species using visual features. Color rarely has importance in separating species. Some websites consider German (‘common’) carp, mirror carp and leather carp the same. One website states this about these carps: “”Variants also include the Mirror Carp which unlike the Common Carp has large irregular and patchy scaling along both sides of it's body making many fish unique and possible to identify by sight. The linear Mirror is scale less except for a row of large scales that run along its lateral line, the Leather Carp is completely scale less, and the fully scaled has a regular pattern of large scales covering the whole body. The difference between Mirror and Common Carp is both genetic and visual - biologically they are similar. As far as I can determine, Israeli carp are a vernacular form of mirror or leather carp. However, these all carps basically feed the same, behave the same, and reproduce the same. As you will see below, they also have the ability to grow to similar top end sizes. Koi are not considered to be a subspecies of common carp – Cyprinus carpio. One advantage in pond management of the Koi is at least some, but not all, of the offspring have bright body colors which makes them easy for predators to see and capture the fish when small.

As a side note and comparison, these three carps are all the same species and technically possess more of the same body structures compared to the basses of largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, redeye, Suwannee, and Guadalupe - who are all scientifically considered different species of the genus Micropterus.

From the web: http://en.bdfish.org/2010/01/mirror-carp-cyprinus-carpio-var-specularis/
From Wikipedia: ""..The difference between mirror and common carp is both genetic and visual - biologically they are similar. The mirror carp was the first mutation of common carp, owing to two alternative genes, the S allele and the N allele. The genetic term for a mirror carp is "ssnn" (all minor). Common carp have an even, regular scale pattern, whereas mirrors have irregular and patchy scaling, making many fish unique and possible to identify individual fish by sight, leading to most carp in the UK over 40 lb being nicknamed. Contrary to popular belief, Leather carp are not Mirror carp without scales; there is a distinct genetic difference. Leather carp are permitted a few scales; however, the dorsal row of scales is either absent or incomplete. Leathers also have reduced numbers of red blood cells, slowing growth rates...""

Feeding Habits of All Three Carps: “”Being predominantly bottom feeders Carp root around in the mud, silt and weeds especially in warmer shallows looking for the next meal. Bloodworm beds are a favorite location for carp, being one of the carp's staple food items along with snails, crayfish, insect larva and almost any other aquatic insect, creature or invertebrate. Carp also eat small amounts of weed and plant life but have become accustomed to anglers baits such as boilies, sweetcorn and maggots etc.”” Note that algae and plant materials are a small part of the carp diet. Any reduction of algae or plant growth from carp is due primarily to their bottom rooting activity that disrupts growth patterns of plants and the resultant suspended sediments reduce water visibility which reduces ability of plants to grow as deep. Accumulation of settled sediments on plants also probably tends to help reduce plant growth.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/10/13 12:22 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
RER #359611 12/10/13 01:06 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang Bill, ya getting lazy or what? That wasn't a very specific explanation.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Bill Cody #359616 12/10/13 01:32 PM
R
RER Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Here is a little background for this topic. Cyprinus carpio is the scientific name - common name is common carp aka German carp. Koi are considered domesticated varieties of common carp, but koi still are the same species - Cyprinus carpio. Mirror carp is considered a subspecies and the technical name is Cyprinus carpio var. specularis but they still belong to the same species as common carp (see below). Mirror carp would be similar to Florida bass being a subspecies of northern largemouth bass; very similar but slightly different. As another example for this discussion it is similar to cattle; Angus, Herford, Holstein, Jersey, Texas long horn, Brahma, etc - all same scientific specie of cow.

Common carp, koi, mirror, and leather carp are biologically quite similar in terms of the same basic physical structure, placement, appearance of fins, mouth barbels, and other various body structure characteristics which play roles in separating species using visual features. Color rarely has importance in separating species. Some websites consider German (‘common’) carp, mirror carp and leather carp the same. One website states this about these carps: “”Variants also include the Mirror Carp which unlike the Common Carp has large irregular and patchy scaling along both sides of it's body making many fish unique and possible to identify by sight. The linear Mirror is scale less except for a row of large scales that run along its lateral line, the Leather Carp is completely scale less, and the fully scaled has a regular pattern of large scales covering the whole body. The difference between Mirror and Common Carp is both genetic and visual - biologically they are similar. As far as I can determine, Israeli carp are a vernacular form of mirror or leather carp. However, these all carps basically feed the same, behave the same, and reproduce the same. As you will see below, they also have the ability to grow to similar top end sizes. Koi are not considered to be a subspecies of common carp – Cyprinus carpio. One advantage in pond management of the Koi is at least some, but not all, of the offspring have bright body colors which makes them easy for predators to see and capture the fish when small.

As a side note and comparison, these three carps are all the same species and technically possess more of the same body structures compared to the basses of largemouth, smallmouth, spotted, redeye, Suwannee, and Guadalupe - who are all scientifically considered different species of the genus Micropterus.

From the web: http://en.bdfish.org/2010/01/mirror-carp-cyprinus-carpio-var-specularis/
From Wikipedia: ""..The difference between mirror and common carp is both genetic and visual - biologically they are similar. The mirror carp was the first mutation of common carp, owing to two alternative genes, the S allele and the N allele. The genetic term for a mirror carp is "ssnn" (all minor). Common carp have an even, regular scale pattern, whereas mirrors have irregular and patchy scaling, making many fish unique and possible to identify individual fish by sight, leading to most carp in the UK over 40 lb being nicknamed. Contrary to popular belief, Leather carp are not Mirror carp without scales; there is a distinct genetic difference. Leather carp are permitted a few scales; however, the dorsal row of scales is either absent or incomplete. Leathers also have reduced numbers of red blood cells, slowing growth rates...""

Feeding Habits of All Three Carps: “”Being predominantly bottom feeders Carp root around in the mud, silt and weeds especially in warmer shallows looking for the next meal. Bloodworm beds are a favorite location for carp, being one of the carp's staple food items along with snails, crayfish, insect larva and almost any other aquatic insect, creature or invertebrate. Carp also eat small amounts of weed and plant life but have become accustomed to anglers baits such as boilies, sweetcorn and maggots etc.”” Note that algae and plant materials are a small part of the carp diet. Any reduction of algae or plant growth from carp is due primarily to their bottom rooting activity that disrupts growth patterns of plants and the resultant suspended sediments reduce water visibility which reduces ability of plants to grow as deep. Accumulation of settled sediments on plants also probably tends to help reduce plant growth.

thanks, thats what I thought, pretty much the same fish and can serve the same purpose.

RER #359617 12/10/13 02:51 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
sounds like most ponds containing any
kind of koi/carp are not going to be very clear

interesting that the koi/carp mainly don't eat
the aquatic plant matter, but they stir
the water up so much the plants have a
harder time growing

if they are basically the same fish
i wonder why you need a permit to stock
neutered carp but not koi that can reproduce?

RER #359619 12/10/13 03:33 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
"Neutered carp" if you mean grass carp aka white amur (triploid sterile), then these fish are completely different from the common carp & varieties complex. Different in species name and even the next higher group type name - genus - technical name being Ctenopharyngodon idella. Grass carp (GC) are very different in many ways from common carp Cyprinus carpio. Different in general behavior, feeding behavior, reproductive behavior, digestive tract structure, fin type and position, scale shape & structure, mouth shape, structure, and function to name a few.

As far as pond owners are concerned, grass carp are primarily herbaceous fish (vegetarians) preferring to eat plants and the most tasty, tender ones are eaten first similar to you at the salad bar, whereas the common carp group prefer to eat primarily animal invertebrates that they suck and filter out of the sediments and the few ingested plant materials consumed are secondary and probably mostly incidental in the diet; all depending on what is present in the habitat.

IMO in ponds with little competition from the same specie of fish (only a few are present), the common carp eat mostly the abundant ungrazed invertebrates that inhabit the bottom sediments/muds and the carp's frequent feeding activity of stirring & roiling the sediments keeps plant growth stressed to the point that problematic plants gradually become less of an apparent or visible problem. In a scientific study of the feeding habits of common carp and Israeli carp, the bottom of freshly drained ponds contained abundant pock marks or divots where the carp and been aggressively feeding in the sediment. FYI common carp do not have a stomach, thus they can not binge feed like bass and bluegill filling the stomach and then waiting numerous hours or a day or two before eating again. Common carp and close relatives feed frequently to keep food moving through the digestive tract. However, in almost all cases the less plant growths are due to suspended sediment solids as murky water with less light penetration and less resulting phytoplankton. Phytoplankton do not grow well when lots of suspended microscopic sediments are in the water column.

Just because your water is less transparent or clear does not mean phytoplankton are creating a beneficial bloom. When in many cases if the truth were known, pond water cloudiness is in reality tiny size microscopic dirt (detritus) not phytoplankton. FYI - generally if the cloudy water has a grennish hue then it is primarily phytoplankton whereas if the hue is brownish, tan, or the light shade of the color of your soils, then cloudiness is mostly due to suspended detritus not beneficial phytoplankton.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/10/13 04:21 PM.

RER #359621 12/10/13 04:13 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Saving yet another thread for my Cody folder...pure pond management gold! Thank you Bill.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Bill Cody #359622 12/10/13 04:29 PM
S
S
Wow!

More than I ever wanted to know. smile Now if I could only retain a small portion of what I learn.

Thanks all!

Guess this was a better question than the one I posted over on the Theatre of the Absurd.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
RER #359632 12/10/13 06:12 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks Bill!

ps: one last question:
so why exactly do we fear the sterile carp so much more
(and require a permit) than the koi/carp that can reproduce?

RER #359633 12/10/13 06:14 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Koi, common carp, mirror carp, and leather carp since they are all the same species can and will spawn with each other.

In crowded conditions or polluted conditions, carp/koi will readily hybridize with common goldfish as well.

Zep #359634 12/10/13 06:21 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Zep
Thanks Bill!

ps: one last question:
so why exactly do we fear the sterile carp so much more
(and require a permit) than the koi/carp that can reproduce?

By any chance do you have to PURCHASE that permit? wink.....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
sprkplug #359636 12/10/13 06:29 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
By any chance do you have to PURCHASE that permit? wink.....

Honestly there must be another reason,
I cant believe it's about a revenue source.
I doubt that much money is raised in Texas
from carp permits in ponds. The permit is
really not much money.

RER #359637 12/10/13 06:40 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I would be willing to bet that if you asked, you would hear stories of grass carp escapees destroying vegetation that was deemed beneficial in public waterways.

But, ask yourself this....would you rather have SOME revenue, or NO revenue, given the chance?

No permit needed in Indiana.

Last edited by sprkplug; 12/10/13 06:40 PM. Reason: added indiana standings

sprkplug #359639 12/10/13 06:47 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
stories of grass carp escapees destroying vegetation that was deemed beneficial in public waterways.

No permit needed in Indiana.

Probably right sprkplug.

And Indiana less gvt intrusion than Texas?
I can't believe my ears!
LOL

RER #359641 12/10/13 07:19 PM
I have such a story about carp permits. I'll post it after Thursday morning when I have my onsite meeting with a TWPD biologist.

AL

RER #359642 12/10/13 07:32 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Aquatic vegetation in most natural bodies of water is a very valuable thing, when it comes to habitat and food sources for wildlife such as waterfowl. Grass carp in populations that are not controlled by them being sterile can become extremely abundant, think abundant as in their close relatives the "jumping" carp. They could denude a whole river in no time... Fertile grass carp are already found in the wild in some places, so it may very well be too late.

As far as the cost of a permit, it depends on the cost of it. If it's 5 or 10 dollars, it's probably not a money making thing. It is simply just to cover the cost of a biologist looking over the application and the paper the permit is written on.

RER #359643 12/10/13 07:51 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I believe it's $16 plus $2 per fish??

RER #359644 12/10/13 08:12 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Some of the reason for the permit is the government believes that you, as average pondowner, do not have the ability nor knowledge to choose the correct number to stock based on the amount and specie/s of weeds in your pond. Some in the government no doubt believe that some 'average' pond owners do not know the difference between rooted pond "weeds' and filamentous algae as "weeds". Grass carp do not prefer to eat filamentous algae. Thus, IMO they require a permit so someone who they believe is knowledgeable, reviews the situation and makes the final decision that 'you' do not stock your water body with too many grass carp. Some agencies the require permits want to insure that the pond has structural barriers that prevent the escape of grass carp into a discharge stream or waterway. As CJBS mentioned escaped grass carp will consume beneficial vegetation in public waterways.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/10/13 08:18 PM.

RER #359649 12/10/13 08:52 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks guys, I have a better understanding now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM
Need help