Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Treeguy27, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler), 724 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Does anyone on here have any experience with a water treatment system that is similar to this?

I currently have all of my household drinking water hauled in because the well water in our area is high in sulfur and is basically of no use. I have two 1,500 gallon holding tanks in my basement now that I could take out and replace with this system or something similar with little challenge.

Having the water hauled in costs me between $1,500-$2K per year, so this would pay for itself in one year. It would be nice to use our house water to wash cars, decks and sprinklers for the kids and not worry about how much it just cost me...not to mention the fact that forgetting to order water or a stuck toilet just caused me to run out...

1 Acre Pond with SMB, YP, LMB, GSF, RES, FHM, GSH, Papershell Crayfish, Pike
5.5 Acre Pond with LMB, BG

My Build Thread
Lunker
Lunker
Why use this with the pond water and use it with the well water? Realize this doesn't answer the question, just curious?

H
OP Offline
H
I don't have a well. When I built the house, you could dig a well or go the tank route and since the wells are all bad, I went for a tank.

Now that I have a pond for water, I was thinking that maybe I could use that as a source. It looks like there are a bunch of systems out on the market that can accomplish what I want, just looking for some experience here.

My Build Thread
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you pull water from the pond, what will replace it? How big is the pond?

Using ponds for water is pretty common in Ohio. I'm pretty sure Bill Cody will have some info for you.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
H
OP Offline
H
Esshup,

In my ponds short life and others I'm familiar with in the area over a longer term, I believe rain fall will suffice to refill it on a regular basis.

My pond is approx. one surface acre and holds around 3.5 million gallons of water. With some assistance, I filled it completely in three weeks. It has been at full pool for a couple months now and is usually a couple inches above my overflow pipe. I know in the summer its going to drop more due to greater evaporation, but I don't think the amount of drinking water should affect the pond elevation much. In the past 10 years, I've used less than 60,000 gallons per year in the house. That only equates to 0.18" of water per year and we get ample rain fall in the area to replace that regularly.

My Build Thread
B
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
B
What about getting cooking and drinking water hauled in and toilet/laundry/shower from the pond. I would put some gravel/course sand over an intake screen to filter out some of the stuff before it goes down your intake. Lots of people up here have ponds exclusively for their house water supply and they all have aeration.

"I think I have a nibble" Homer Simpson

34ac natural lake

H
OP Offline
H
Blair,

You would have to design your house from the ground up with that in mind. To convert a normal house over to that type of program would require replumbing the mains in the house at a minimum and likely several other items.

What started me down this process is the idea of running untreated water to my pole barn to use for wash water or general use during the summer and then just drain it down and winterize come winter.

My Build Thread
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I used a system like this for years until "city water" came by the property. The system is still in place but we only use it for outside activities.

Our system had two filters and two infusion pumps. When the water came into the house it was infused with both chlorine (bleach) and alum. That killed the bacteria and settled the color out of the water. Then it went into first one and then another 150 gallon tank to let the chlorine work and the alum to settle the sediment out. Then into a sand filter and a charcoal filter (the charcoal takes the chlorine out of the water). Then into the faucets, etc.

The system worked well, but required back flushing of the sand and charcoal filters. What came out was very clean pure water.

I have been told a household of four people uses between 100 and 200 gallons of water per day. The draw down of a one acre pond based on that type of usage would be no problem.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
H
OP Offline
H
Bing,

That sounds like several of the systems that I've seen cruising the net.

Do you know what Brand your system is?

How was the maintenance of the system?

Was it costly to maintain after it was installed?

Did you have to change the sand and charcoal or just flush them?

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't been able to find anyone that actually used a system similar to this.

My Build Thread
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've lived with it all -- city water, well water, purified water, and cisterns filled from the roof rainfall, and on-call water delivery.

We now live in a place with reasonably miserable water.

We had two homes at our most previous location. They were across the road from each other. The one place could not have a well because the well drillers refused to try and drill another well on the property after they lost a lot of expensive equipment in a cavern. That house, to today, exists with a cistern. Our other house, across the road, had an excellent well that was 650 feet deep.

We now live about four miles from those properties. Our water has a lot of iron. Our church is not far away, and has similar water issues. When we make coffee or wash dishes at the church, it smells like someone has filled their drawers with last night's beans.

We had a well known commercial "off-the-shelf" system when we moved into our current home. It may never have worked, but it certainly failed after we bought the place. The company would not work with us. We called in the best of the best local companies to help us, and it was worth it.

They took water samples over several dry/wet periods. They said a new well was "iffy" as related to the issues we were having. They designed a system to meet our basic needs. Yes, it was expensive -- about $4000. The five-tank system they installed looks like something from a sci-fi movie, or a fancy whiskey operation. But, we have good water.

I guess the real lesson from this is to call in true experts. They know how to combat mineral and chemical imbalances.

Good luck,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
They designed a system to meet our basic needs. Yes, it was expensive -- about $4000. The five-tank system they installed looks like something from a sci-fi movie, or a fancy whiskey operation. But, we have good water.

Catmandoo,

Your system look more like this?

My Build Thread
H
OP Offline
H
I met with an installer a couple nights ago and the system seems like it would be a good fit for my house. I'm still looking for some more references to see how the systems performed over the long term.

My Build Thread
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you haven't already, check with your local county health department for minimal requirements for a pond water treatment system. There are local standards to be met. Often there are a few options as to approved disinfecting methods. Whenever you get quotes I would request contact references to those who already have one of their systems and preferably those who have had the system for 4-5 yrs. These people should be able to provide good opinions. Where these systems are common there are several installers to choose from. I would contact some users before making the final decision.

Whenever someone tells me they are using the pond water for domestic use I encourage managing the pond for clear water so there are fewer particulates to be removed creating less water treatment maintenance. Water visibilities of 16" to 3ft cause frequent filter changes, more back washings and overall lower water quality. The opposite is true for average water clarities of 5 to 10 ft.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/28/13 10:19 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
If you don't drink the water from your pond and only use it for everything else, you may need less water treatment and maintenance. I have a well but I don't use my well water for cooking or drinking. I have a water cooler with several 5 gallon bottles and buy my drinking water monthly or when needed. I've done this for 20+ years because I like the water and I'm not good at maintaining filters. It's not like having massive amounts delivered and you can fill 5 gallon bottles in the grocery store. Just another idea for you. I have a water cooler in the barn also, the cold water is so good in the summer.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
An under kitchen sink reverse osmosis water filter that has a outlet on or under the counter and a line to the refrigerator works well to provide very good drinking water.

Regarding the system diagramed in the 1st post the only thing I would consider changing is I would put the 0.35micron filter at the kitchen sink instead of using it to filter all the house water. IMO the 0.35 micron filter size is very small and will relatively quickly clog when lots of water passes through it daily. You will need to change that filter often - time and expense. It is not necessary to use that small of a filter for the entire house; 5 micron is adequate for everything except drinking water.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/29/13 12:00 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails