Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 458 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I agree with Dave. Very ingenious:(comes from doing engineering stuff). I dont have that problem either, but sometimes wish I did just to try it out.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Burgermeister
I can send you some in kinda like a starter envelope kit if you like and maybe you could send me some talipia in the spring \:\)

A little snow, Please!
B
bz Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I checked into the oil boom type stuff or something similar. It was an absorbant type material that you can buy in long lengths to stretch out across the water. It is made to float and I thought it would be perfect. It was way too expensive for me so I never tried it.
Trialsguy, I think you have the perfect million dollar idea with that starter envelope you've invented. Now if you could just package common sense we'd all be doing great. I had a genius idea once. A bag that contains instant water for $5. Just add water.

Gotta get back to fishin!
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
My Dad use to tell me if I ever used common sense it would be purely accidental. I do believe he was right! Rest his soul.

A little snow, Please!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
My Dad told me that I really needed to get a good formal education that would put letters after my name and impress people. He said, without that, someone might ask me to think.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
My Dad told me to never argue with a, err, jerk. People might not know the difference.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
I saw something similar if you google "duckweed dave" and you'll get an explanation of a similar rope--he said to use sinking rope with the pool noodles to keep it just under the surface. I have a bunch of old jute rope I'm going to try. The premise is to get either the tie straps or in DD's case, the rope that is slightly under the surface of the water to catch the roots of the duckweed and bunch it up to haul it in.

I've also often thought if I used complete pool noodles on a rope to section off an area I cleaned, I could keep duckweed out of one end and that is something I'd like to try. Or would the duckweed get under the pool noodles?

I went to Dollar Tree for 10 noodles for $10 and have 40 feet of these things--worth a shot. I'll post pictures.

Bennie
LMB, HBG, YP, CC, FHM, located SE Michigan
1/3 acre 8-9' deep, aerated 24/7 1/4 hp rocking piston
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
BZ, dude, you're a genius.....been rackin' my brain for weeks on how to get this gunk out of my pond. Tanks a whole heap! \:D

Dave Suggs - Free Beer Tomorrow!!!
Assistant PM
Slone Associates,Inc
General Contractors
Valdosta, GA 31605
D
Fingerling
Fingerling
D
Not real sure what kinda weed/grass in my pond, I guess my kids would call me a noob. But this seems like the way to get it out since it's all died and floated to the surface. I'll update.

Dave Suggs - Free Beer Tomorrow!!!
Assistant PM
Slone Associates,Inc
General Contractors
Valdosta, GA 31605
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Check this out

http://www.skimoil.com/oil_skimmers.htm

Looks a bit small but it moves a lot of water and it says it works with DW and WM.

If at first you don't succeed...look in the trash for the directions.
S
S
I used poly rope last summer when our 110x50 foot pond was being overrun by duckweed and water meal. I left the rope in place but after awhile it started to sink, so i put cheap foam pipe insulation around it and voila! it floated just the right amount. I put 12" zip ties around it (clipped to 4" or so) which helped to keep the pipe insulation on.

You do really need to net out the duckweed once it's corralled, though. When it gets that smushed together, it starts dying off and it really stinks on hot days. (Kinda fun to watch little frogs hop across it like it's a solid surface, though.)

C
C
Thanks for the awesome tips. I found these on ebay, look like they might work well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-each-CrabHoud...=item4176062dbe

I can try the foam pipe insulation as another easy to buy and install 'float' material.

If you zip tie the foam pipe insulation then you probably still want to puncture through the foam and the middle of the rope to prevent spinning of the zip ties.

I think I can get by with 100' rope but i do wonder how people get the one end of the rope out to the middle of the pond, and then circle back to the shore to trap the debris without a boat?

J
J
I have a floating pond fountain for an aerator and I use 1' segments of the pool noodles spaced every 8' to keep the electric wire and the tie rope afloat. I zip tie the rope to the wire every 3'.

This makes it much easier to set it in place in the Spring and reel it in during the Fall. A one man job.

Otherwise, the wire and tie rope goes to the bottom, shortens up the distance I want the fountain at, gets gunked up, and is very difficult to send out and retrieve.

Buckeyedude
S
S
Canyoncreek, our pond is not more than 4' deep at any point so I just waded across. I have also just staked one end of the rope at the shore, walked the other end to the other side on shore and let it down onto the water and started pulling until I'd pulled all the slack out. Then I staked that end at that point and went around to the other end and did the same thing, sort of zig-zagging the line until I reached the other end of the pond.

If you have a good throwing arm and your pond isn't too wide,you could tie a string to the end of the rope and a rock or something to the other end of the string, then throw the rock/thing across the pond and haul the rope across.

C
C
Thanks spanky.. I think I can use 2 people. My pond is an elongated oval. I think I can start on the end of the oval and drag across the whole pond at once. That might take just more than 100' of rope though. It also means I'm straining the whole pond width at once. I don't know if this means the leaves that build up and drag along will get too heavy and fall out or it means that my setup will take less time since i can do the whole thing in one pass ! smile

I'm guessing I'll be starting at the small end of the oval, walking the rope along the edge of the pond till I'm about 1/2 way down the rope length, then trying to throw that end across to the other side (maybe diagonally across back towards where I started rather than straight across), then walk the two ends back to each other making a big loop and then drag the loop back in to where I started.

Been there, done that as well!

100' poly rope with 3 zip ties woven through the rope to keep them from spinning.

This is before I attached the floats but I just used the pool noodles and it worked great.

After I corraled it (from shore and by boat), I then tossed out the "skimmer" you see in the photo (lower left) to bring it in.

These both worked great, except the pond is 2 acres and it was completely covered in DW.

Then I met Fluridone!

But for "pond tools", both were very effective, with all the credit going to the great folks here on PB!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
C
C
Thanks for the pictures! I see that the top picture in this post the zip ties are single, but oriented in different directions as you go down the rope. The bottom picture shows 3 zip ties all on top of each other and in 3 different directions. I wonder if it works better with more 'single' zip ties closer spacing, or stacking the 3 like in the latter picture and more spaces in between?

Good question CC but they're probably equally effective for the task at hand.

The skimmer has been the most useful for me. Having the floats on it with long toss-ropes it reaches quite a ways, and as I pull it in, the front drops just below the water line and skims up any floating debris.

Both were cheap and effective, although putting all those zip ties on the "prickly rope" was very time consuming. But with a nice day at the pond, a lawn chair, a beverage and some good tunes, it wasn't so bad wink.

Especially knowing this is what lied ahead cry

I wish you the best grin

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??