Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,976
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
3 members (jmartin, Pat Williamson, catscratch), 1,204 guests, and 350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Here are a few thoughts on this.
Sex first. In a "balanced" BG-LMB pond where large males dominate, the subordinate males will not mature so they are easily recognizable until they are near 8". Thus when catching 6.5"-7.75" BG you likely will not be able to recognize males and females, at least not easily. When one can 'easily' recognize M-F BG at 6"-7.5" long, these fish are somewhat stunted and the population is not well balanced for production or goals of large, trophy BG. After seeing pictures of BG here on the forum from various parts of the US, there seems to be numerous strains of pure strain BG which makes using the firm or definite body characteristics such as using a distinct shape of the black gill flap as sole means of recognizing M&F. Body color can vary quite a bit based on season and pond characteristics. Thus body color generally tends to be specific to each pond. To separate more accurately and consistently one should take time to be familiar with the variation of the BG population in each pond before making 99% positive IDs.

BG Harvest. Essentially we want to know how many fish can be removed and not damage the overall balance of numbers. Two common approaches, or actually three methods. Several items influence the first approach or method.

First method 1. For a half-way decent estimate of how many BG can be removed from a pond, the 1st thing one should know is how big is the pond - acres. Each pond will produce a certain poundage of fish per acre. 2nd thing is pond productivity. Basic productivity is what grows the fish. 3rd thing is pond transparency, clarity, turbidity as caused by phytoplankton and not silt/detritus. Most often a secchi disk helps to determine this. Generally, is the water greenish, or with a mud-dirt color hue? Clarity or turbidity relates back to productivity. 4th thing is amount of pelleted food added per acre per yr, again affecting productivity. All these items determine carrying capacity and annual fish production. Thus the more the productivity the more fish that can be "safely" harvested each year.

The Second Method to determine the allowable harvest is to do a fish survey which will provide estimates of fish species, numbers, and sizes. With that data one can get a real good estimate of what can be removed.

The Third Method and most common method is -- guess. In unsupervised situations often this amounts to - remove fish until you are tired fishing, it gets dark, or weather turns bad or the owner catches you fishing in his pond and kicks your butt out.

In summary for a best online answer to odlivin247's question of how many to remove, tell us the pond size, the water clarity, and how much feed is added daily and age of the pond -fishery, then we can provide some reasonable numbers of fish to remove. We assume the goal is growing big BG - correct?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/19/13 11:35 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
O
OP Offline
O
The pond is just over half an acre...The clarity is usually right around 12-18 inches, green...I started feeding AM500 in May and am on my 4th bag, so averaging about a pound of feed a day.. The pond was built in 2001 and is a ground water clay-sandy loam bottom..

And yes big BG is the main goal...

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273316#Post273316

sexing BG and LMB

RC51, my first thought is that both the BG in the pics are male. While the 2nd picture has less obvious male characteristics than your other picture, I'd give that one a 2nd look to determine the sex.

Hey Esshup you could be right? The ear tab thing is not a fail safe I suppose and it does have some male colors but the ear tab sure is a lot smaller than that first fish! Sooooo maybe it's not a 100 percent way to tell that's for sure! Sorry if i misled anyone!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
confused

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: RC51
I read in the archives about taking 6 to 8 or inch BG or smaller and leaving anything over 8 inch for breeding and or for just plain fun fishing! I like others believe that if you get to be trophy size 9 + plus inches then we will let you go to breed and be caught again another day.

Here is a almsot 10 inch male BG. Notice his ear tab and how long it is and U shape. A females from what I understand and have read is not near as long and kind of makes a msaller u. Which I have noticed in my pond now that I am looking that them closer. You can tell the difference pretty easy.

RC, I need a better head shot of the 10 inch CNBG to be sure, but it appears to be a male Arkansas intergrade CNBG with some copper band on forehead, usually a male characteristic.
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Originally Posted By: RC51
And here is a 9 inch female. Picture is not the best but you can still notice the size difference in the ear tab. Verses the male above.

Can't tell for sure - need a better photo - focus on head and another on full body shot for positive ID.
G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RC51, non-dominant males take on the appearance of females during spawning so they can infiltrate the dominant male nesting areas without getting chased off. The dominant male thinks they are female and when a female is around laying eggs, they'll get in a squirt or 2.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
If you try for that 1658 day old BG that my analysis shows hangs out in the southeast corner of the pond, remember that it greatly prefers earth worms dug from the exact center of the compost pile.

You'll recognize it when you catch it....it's missing a scale behind the right pectoral fin.

Fished for that fish hard tonight, but I think the GBH that has been hanging out at the pond lately has been creeping my post and found it 1st!!!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Outdoorlivn - have you read this essay about harvesting BG from the archives?
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=273316#Post273316

After reading or reviewing it and you have questions bring then here and we will try to provide more information for your specific harvest questions.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/19/13 11:34 AM.

O
OP Offline
O
After reading that essay and reading it again...Then rereading some of it several more times, I have decided that I am going to shoot for around 30-50 of my 6" fish...I am sure I am heavy on numbers vs weight...

The LMB plus feeding have made a noticeable difference since buying the house in may...I just don't want to go in and over fish/remove fish that have a head start on being my 8+ inch fish...

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming if I am total off on my thinking...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Evidently you had not seen that info earlier? Did you find it informative and helpful? Do not hesitate to be critical or provide suggestions.
Your harvest number sounds reasonable. Consider removing around 30 6"-7" BG and then if it appears there are quite a few in this size class in April-May before spawn then remove 20 more.

Suggestion. To improve your management baseline information, I suggest that you measure length and write it down for every BG that is caught, harvested and/or released. This valuable information will allow you to compare current BG population size structure to future population structures.

It helps to use a small hook (No 8 or 6) with live bait such as earthworms or wax worms. Smaller hooks allow you to catch smaller BG such as 4" to 5" in addition to largest BG. If you plot this data or put it into a bar graph it will be a baseline comparison for all future angler catches. Thus you will be able to see if the BG catches or population is shifting toward smaller, larger or same sizes. While recording data it is also a good idea to keep track of how many LMB are caught for every 20 BG. This data allows you to determine if LMB are more numerous or fewer over time.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/22/13 10:36 AM.

O
OP Offline
O
Finally got a chance to fish the pond tonight... Ended up removing 35 BG and a 3lb CC...BG were about half male and half female, several females still had eggs?... Caught way more males than females... The biggest fish kept was a deep hooked male that was just over 8" and weighed 8.? ounces on my digital scale.. Not the best scale for measuring BG..

Thanks for the help and looking forward to some 10" fish in the future..

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Any pics ?

O
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted By: ewest
Any pics ?