Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,977
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
6 members (Theo Gallus, Augie, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, jmartin, Pat Williamson), 1,216 guests, and 377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bawler Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi everyone,

It's always been a dream to create a pond in my backyard, yet being a city dweller it seemed extremely far fetched. Recently my Wife and I put an offer on a 10 acre property which means my dream can finally take hold.

I've attached both a satellite image and topographical map to the bottom of the post.

There currently exists a pond that was dug by a friend of the previous owner. They had a falling out before the pond was finished. Currently the pond fills during the spring from the snow melt and by late fall only a couple of feet of water remains. I would assume that would mean the soil is perfect for having a pond as it seems to hold its water quite well but it just doesn't receive enough watershed through the summer months in order to maintain its evaporation (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Ideally I'd like to make the pond about 2 acres (I'd say it's at about 1/4 acre right now) and I've been told that at about 17 feet there is a spring. If you view the Satellite map I included, you can see that a creek runs right to the edge of my property.

I am not looking to shot gun this project (heck we don't even take possession of the property till next spring) and am interested in doing everything right the first time.

Should I be building off of the existing pond and digging deeper to hit those springs at 17 feet or should I perhaps bring water in from a well?

L
L
First off congrats on your new place, and welcome! You have come to the right place.

In your area (Ontario, Canada?) You should loose maybe the max of 1 foot of water by the end of the summer, not including runoff. More than likely you get almost as much rain as evaporation. You guys get more rain than I do in NY, and it is generally cooler there.
I am down 2 feet mid fall, but that is because of a leak. If you are losing more than that, you likely have a leak.
Now on to the spring. A spring is a good thing above your water line, and not so good below it. If water can come into a spring, it can also go out of it. Whichever end of that natural pipe has more pressure wins. If the spring at 17 feet below can shoot water up 17 feet high, you are good to go.
Your best bet if you want 2 acres is to drain and dry the existing pond, and excavate a new, larger pond using someone with pond building experience. Get the book "Perfect Pond Want one?" from the store here, it is a great resource before building.

The key is to find a builder that knows how to seal a pond properly. Don't aim for that spring unless you are certain there is enough water pressure.
Mark

B
Bawler Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks Mark,

I've been searching for a pond builder in the area but can't seem to find one. If anyone knows one that works on the east side of Toronto - let me know.

As I said - the current pond was never finished by the owner because he and the contractor had a falling out so I'm not surprised that it leaks considering none of the base would have been packed down. The pond has a berm 100% around it as the contractor just moved the soil pulled up to the perimeter which really limits the amount of surface water it takes on.

I was really planning on digging ~20 feet deep so I could stock trout any ways - so 17 feet didn't really phase me. My guess is from your comments though is that it's really not worth worrying about the spring - if it has enough pressure - great. If not - I can just maintain the water level with my well.

L
L
If you really cannot find a pond builder, your next option is to learn as much as you can here and in the various available books on how to build one properly. Once you have learned plenty, you can draft an agreement or contract that will direct the excavator what to do for you, with lines such as "Shall use sheepsfoot roller to compact a dam core in 6-inch lifts", "Refer to diagram x.xx for approximate outline and depth", "Line entire pond basing with x.xx clay laid down in x.xx lifts compacted with sheepsfoot roller" or some such. Then you can use that as a guide for obtaining work quotes.

There are much better people on this forum for directing this process than I am, I am just a desk jockey.

There may also be resources in your area to draw on, but I have no clue on Canadian agencies for that sort of thing.

If you truly have a spring down 17 feet someplace, perhaps you can drop a shallow well there to tap into it? That way you can pump from a shallower depth saving energy.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 02:46 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM