Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,787
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
8 members (Dave Davidson1, Bill Cody, FishinRod, Bucyrus22B, Rangersedge, JPierson, MidwestCass, catscratch), 1,056 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#353657 10/12/13 01:10 PM
Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
I am contemplating stocking trout for the winter in our old farm pond. It's 2.2 acres and average depth is 4'. The bass population was out of control but is now approaching balance (see link below for details). I have so many questions!

Would I have to supplement with feed if I were to stock trout? Would unfed trout further depress my forage base? How many trout should I stock? Does anyone know a reputable supplier for central Missouri?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bocomo
I am contemplating stocking trout for the winter in our old farm pond. It's 2.2 acres and average depth is 4'. The bass population was out of control but is now approaching balance (see link below for details). I have so many questions!

(1)Would I have to supplement with feed if I were to stock trout?

(2)Would unfed trout further depress my forage base?

(3)How many trout should I stock?

(4)Does anyone know a reputable supplier for central Missouri?

(1) You don't "have to", but if you want them to grow to a larger size, yes. If it was my pond, and I wanted them to grow, I would.

(2) They've gotta eat something, right? The big question is whether they will eat enough to affect the forage for the LMB. They might only affect the forage base for the forage fish (BG), or if they are larger (say 1# and up) they might also eat some small fish. The more that you feed them, the less they will eat natural forage in the pond.

(3) How many do you want to catch and eat?

(4) I can't help you there.

If you stock trout small enough for the bass to eat, then you might not catch that many.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Bocomo...we have one of the best trout farms in the nation in Ava, Missouri....Call Crystal Lake Fisheries at 417-683-2301. It has been a family owned operation producing the "Emmerson" Rainbow for over 50 years.

F
F
I think Esshup covered it pretty good, and will just add my simple experience for my situation.

I stocked 50 RBT in my 1 acre pond to knock back a GSF hatch before my actual stockers went in. The GSF were about 1.5-2" and the trout were 11-13" when stocked. I did NOT feed them from stocking thru winter. They did hammer a lot of those small fish. Now I don't have actual proof of that, those GSF may just have been hiding somewhere that I no longer could see them, but the trout grew very well. I then fed them some into late spring and early summer. When I harvested them, I never found any fish the stomachs of the trout, just feed. That kind of goes along with what is often said here on the forum. They much prefer the feed.

Now a question/thought that may pertain to you and perhaps someone could answer. The LMB are more fusiform(?) than BG, so would the trout go after them first???? That may help you out in having to thin so many next year, but if they go after the forage of the LMB, perhaps it's not good.

W
W
Here is my first year experience with a put and take trout pond. I am in NW Ohio and last year stocked 35 RBT with no other fish in the pond other than FHM (heavy swimming traffic as this is the social gathering place of the neighborhodd in the summer). Stocked them in the last week I think of Sept last year and had a harvest party in May. What a blast and worth every penny!

Areation all winter so open water to feed in the coldest of weather and for the most part they fed on pellets all winter except that the amount and vigor reduced on very cold days.

On average we estimate they put on 1.25 to 1.75 pounds in seven months. I just restocked 40 RBT a little bigger this year and I will be feeding less more often as I would like to keep the growth rate to around 1.5 pounds as I found the large growth rates just really led to big bellies and less actual growth.

Anyway I am hooked from now till the day I am tossing feed from my walker in Jan or until I leave for parts with palm tress there will always be trout in my pond over winter. Really breaks up the duldrum.

Good luck.

Last edited by Waterbug; 10/13/13 05:51 PM.
W
W
Also the FHM really helped contribute to their growth rates. With no other fish to fight for the food chaing the FHM population expanded rapidly all summer then the trout come in and nearly take them out. Then by the time I stocked again this year the FHM were back by the 100's of thousands. It seems to be working out well as a nice natural build up then balance out cycle.

Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Waterbug
Here is my first year experience with a put and take trout pond. I am in NW Ohio and last year stocked 35 RBT with no other fish in the pond other than FHM (heavy swimming traffic as this is the social gathering place of the neighborhodd in the summer). Stocked them in the last week I think of Sept last year and had a harvest party in May. What a blast and worth every penny!

Areation all winter so open water to feed in the coldest of weather and for the most part they fed on pellets all winter except that the amount and vigor reduced on very cold days.

On average we estimate they put on 1.25 to 1.75 pounds in seven months. I just restocked 40 RBT a little bigger this year and I will be feeding less more often as I would like to keep the growth rate to around 1.5 pounds as I found the large growth rates just really led to big bellies and less actual growth.

Anyway I am hooked from now till the day I am tossing feed from my walker in Jan or until I leave for parts with palm tress there will always be trout in my pond over winter. Really breaks up the duldrum.

Good luck.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It certainly sounds like fun. How big is your place? The guy at the Ava fishery recommended 100-200 pounds (at 1#/fish) for my little 2.2 acres. Seems like a lot to me.

Last edited by Bocomo; 10/14/13 11:27 AM.
Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Bocomo...we have one of the best trout farms in the nation in Ava, Missouri....Call Crystal Lake Fisheries at 417-683-2301. It has been a family owned operation producing the "Emmerson" Rainbow for over 50 years.

Thank you! I called them this morning.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I wish I could get my hands on some of those.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Bocomo are you placing an order. I would be interested in some for my pond too. What are their prices?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman

And they have a spring flow of 10 millions gallons a day. Holy Cow! That would fill 10 of my 3/4 acre ponds a day!

crazy

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: John Wann
Bocomo are you placing an order. I would be interested in some for my pond too. What are their prices?

PM sent.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Thanks.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I just talked to him. I'm going to head down Thursday and pick some up. Was thinking 50 half pounders. Should be nice eating size in spring. Kind of exciting the pond fun won't be ending soon and will continue all winter. Now to come up with my hauling system. He said 50 gallon would be good aerated. Very nice guy. Thanks BoCoMo and Rainmain for the info.

Last edited by John Wann; 10/14/13 04:28 PM.

Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
I just talked to him. I'm going to head down Thursday and pick some up. Was thinking 50 half pounders. Should be nice eating size in spring. Kind of exciting the pond fun won't be ending soon and will continue all winter. Now to come up with my hauling system. He said 50 gallon would be good aerated. Very nice guy. Thanks BoCoMo and Rainmain for the info.

Just get a snorkel, put a long tube on the end and into the trout bucket so you can sit in the cab and aerate as you drive.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Lol!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Just get a snorkel, put a long tube on the end and into the trout bucket so you can sit in the cab and aerate as you drive.

Good one. I'll have to remember that next time someone asks me the best way to haul fish!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Good one. I'll have to remember that next time someone asks me the best way to haul fish!

LOL Cecil I was just about to send you a PM with that very question!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
40 cu. ft. oxygen tank, regulator, flow valve/meter and a micropore diffuser. Basically the same set-up George1 uses to revive his HSB when he catches them.

Enough non-iodized salt to make a 0.5% solution and a chemical to nutralize ammonia wouldn't hurt either.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Should I put ice bottles in my totes to keep water cool. It's a two hour drive for me.

Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: esshup
40 cu. ft. oxygen tank, regulator, flow valve/meter and a micropore diffuser. Basically the same set-up George1 uses to revive his HSB when he catches them.

Enough non-iodized salt to make a 0.5% solution and a chemical to nutralize ammonia wouldn't hurt either.

Haha, okay, what I really meant was what's the cheapest way I can jury-rig a system that can haul 50 lbs of trout 4 hours on the highway to my place?

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
He told me on phone a 55 gallon drum with an aerator would be sufficient to haul mine 2 hours. I ordered 25lbs. I got two 27 gallon totes. I will plug a 60 gallon double port aerator pump into my escape and push air into two 18" micro bubbler stones in each tote. I will tell you how that worked out Thursday. I'm worrying about water temp right now.

Bocomo Offline OP
OP Offline
He told me on phone a 55 gallon drum with an aerator would be sufficient to haul mine 2 hours. I ordered 25lbs. I got two 27 gallon totes. I will plug a 60 gallon double port aerator pump into my escape and push air into two 18" micro bubbler stones in each tote. I will tell you how that worked out Thursday. I'm worrying about water temp right now.

Okay, cool. Stocking photos, please!

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Will do

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Study, Study, Study. I'm super excited about these trout. This is one fish I do know. My father thought me to catch trout as early as I can remember. Rest his soul. Fought my trout when I was 3 at Maramec Spring Park. My dad taught me every angle of catching them to cleaning and filleting each one in less than a minute. He was a bait fisherman that was trying to learn how to fly fish when he died suddenly of a heart attack at 51. I'm now trying to learn fly fishing at 32 so this should be good. I can still peel and fillet them things today in under 45 sec. Personal best being 36.8 sec. I hope this works out. If it does I will be doing this every winter. Glad this came up. Thanks again BoCoMo and Rainmain for hookup. Wish dad was still here for this one. This could be my new focal plan of pond. Wish pond was spring fed. I think these boogers might be able to take out some of those F2 HBG too. It's win win!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward