Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Neal Horner, Champ59, fletchccc, etx-pond-c, Painterpond
18,537 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,022
Posts558,592
Members18,538
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,607
ewest 21,516
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, GhostRiver, Knobber, WiYeti, Champ59, catscratch, Shorthose, ghdmd, Sunil, Tinylake, esshup), 1,053 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#349778 09/04/13 08:54 AM
E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hello, let me introduce myself. My name is Ed and I am in NE Ohio. I am new to this PB site and am really enjoying reading all the posts. I have 1/10 acre pond averaging 3 feet in depth (7 foot max.). I had it dug out 10 years a ago. All that is in it now is a good amount of black muck, my vertex new aerator running 24/7 for the past 2 weeks, and a bunch of really small frogs that jump in when I walk by.

The pond is being treated by Aqua Doc for algae and looks good now.

I don't have any long term specific plans for this pond except to get the muck cleaned up and gradually stock it with some fish for eating and fishing fun. It is located right outside our bay window and provides a beautiful view.

I am in no rush to stock. Just want to do it right. I have been reading here on PB about the importance of forage fish and the concerns about predator fish introduced to early. Is now (Sept) a good time to stock this pond? Can you help with what fish/minnows and how many.

Thanks in advance for the help!

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Ed, there is never a bad time to stock fathead minnows (FHM). Nothing is going to spawn between now and spring, but you could still put some BG in now - they might grow a little over the winter and will be ready to spawn as soon as conditions are right. How about a few trout? You could put about 20 in now, feed them thru the winter and eat them in the spring - they probably won't make it thru the summer in a pond that shallow.
Good luck...

Just do it...
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
What are your goals from the pond. 1/10th of an acre, limits some of your options but you can still produce a quality fishery in a pond of that size if you intensively manage it...

In smaller ponds, I am a big fan of fish that don't reproduce or their reproduction is very limited. Species that will readily consume artificial feed are very helpful as well.

Great species for smaller ponds IMO are:

HSB
HB
CC
RES
feed trained YP
feed trained SMB
and sometimes even WE
trout(especially rainbow trout)
You can also consider tilapia for a natural algae control.

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the replies. As I understand, I it would be beneficial to stock fathead minnows for now since spawning season is over. BTW, is there a link to the acronyms for the type of fish mentions in many of the links I read on this BP site?

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks rmedgar, I think I'll try the fathead minnows (how many) and blue gill (how many)?

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: edc10
BTW, is there a link to the acronyms for the type of fish mentions in many of the links I read on this BP site?

Link to acronyms

Fishing has never been about the fish....

F
F
Hi Ed!!!

Glad to have another member from the Northeast Ohio area.

If it was me, I would NOT put in BG till you know more what fish you eventually want. Once they are in there, you would have to almost go with LMB to keep them under control. BG ( and LMB) can really hem in plans for other fish. Heed CJ's advice above. I believe his one acronym HB was meant to be HBG, which are easier to control versus regular BG.

FHM would be great, but be sure to check each one to make sure it's really a FHM, and not something else along for the ride to mess up further stocking plans. You wouldn't need many to get you started. I would guess a few dozen. Make sure they have spawning sites available.

Jim

F
F
Also, if you want to stock RBT this fall, it may be better to stock more FHM than I mentioned to get the ball rolling. What is Aqua Doc doing for the algae? If it is a chemical, it may have to be changed due to stocking trout, if you even go that route.

I stocked RBT last fall, and had a blast. Will be doing that again!!!!

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi Jim, thanks for the advice.

I was planning on picking up some FHM today. I will need to look up a pic so I only get FHM. I guess I should get a few dozen. I want to get a good forage base going and growing until I decide my pond plans regarding what fish to stock.

The only plan at this time is it will be for fishing and I suppose eating some of the fish I catch, but not sure the type of fish yet. I suppose YP, WE, and RBT. Not decided here and many others I have not tried yet but read on PB how much others enjoy the taste, such as HBG for example.

Is there a local fishery you might recommend (send me an email if you do please).

Regarding the algae treatment, I believe they used Clipper.

Thanks, Ed

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Ed, you're getting excellent advise. Fatheads are usually solid in bags/ by weight. One 10-12 pd back of water will contain 300-500 at least. Don't worry if you get some red/orange one - they are called "rosy reds" and are still FHMs. As you have been told, check carefully (especially for catfish)...

Just do it...
E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks rmedgar. I went to a local fishery about 10 miles from my house to get the FHM. As asked for a few dozen. He said as you said, he sells these by the pound. He suggested I go to another location that can accommodate that small of an order. When I told him I have a pond with no fish at this time, I should build the rock structures now and wait until spring to add the FHM. Then additional fish in the fall. So now, not sure what to do. Help appreciated.

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks CJ. Did not think I could possibly grow YP or WE in my pond. That would be awesome. Right now, I am trying to determine what I should stock in the fall (now), if anything. Also, working on gathering rocks and pallets for spring spawning.

Ed

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks Zep for the link to the acronyms!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
You just have to realize you have a small pond and need to have realistic expectations for what you can expect out of it... Having a quality aeration system run properly will be key to the success of your pond IMO.

F
F
Ed,
Up in our area there is not to many fisheries that I would go to, at least ones that would be good for every purpose. I have talked with many, and after being involved on this forum and learning how to go about long term goals, I just shake my head as to what they recommend and walk away thankful that this forum exists to keep me on the proper road to success. You might buy a single item from them if it fits your specific need. Like if they had a certain fish in a certain size. Most likely, you will have to be prepared to travel to get what you really want, and remember that EVERY fishery wants to sell anything. Only you know what your goals are, and only you can have the determination to not be steered in the wrong direction. The folks here have no financial gain in their advice, it comes from the desire to see you succeed.

So, I will still stand by my suggestion that you put in FHM. Possibly a few dozen. I think most here will agree. Put in a sunken pallet near the edge of the pond for them to spawn on. Better to buy only a few dozen that you can sort thru, than to buy hundreds later playing catch-up. Don't sort them right next to your pond as it is easy to throw a bad one in the wrong direction!!! Take pictures of ones your not sure about and post them here before stocking them, or just discard them to be safe.

K
K
i've only found a couple of fish farms in northeast ohio..would like to hear about any in the area
when i have purchased fish, i've gone towards toledo or columbus..
except for rosy red minnows.. you can get those at most big box pet store
i've got so much work to do if i want to get fish this fall, i don't know if i'll make it..

E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks Fish and Chips,

You make several goods points. Thanks for taking the time to share your views on fisheries and how I should begin stocking my pond. I already have my pallet ready to put in at the pond's edge. Off to a local bait shop for FHMs.

Ed

F
F
Being that you are way up in the northeast corner of Ohio, it will be tougher to find places to get stockers ( unless somebody knows different?). Many pond owners travel hours to get what they want. Most of the time, your looking at only having to do it once. I have a list of places in the area, but like I said before, you better know exactly what you want before you even start contacting them.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
As CJ mentions since you only have 1/10 ac you will have to stock specialty fish similar to his suggestions because you can't feasibly or easily raise very many fish in 0.1 ac. essentially because in my opinion you don't want them spawning because it would very easy to end up with too many too small fish for angler fun.

Keep in mind that the trout will be an annual fall stocking and will not survive past early to mid June due to too warm water. But if you stock (late Sept, early Oct) larger ones (12"-14") and maybe 25-40 they would grow 3"-4" by June and be fun fishing whenever you wanted. There are some trout farms within 2-3 hrs of you. This place has good trout fairly close to you: Licking County, Brandt Trout Hatchery.

Fenders Fish and Llama Farm (Coshocton Co.) has larger trout in the fall. Check to see if they have a fall delivery near you.
See this for the list of fish farms/sellers by County in Ohio.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/FishingS...39/Default.aspx

I suggest that you get second or third opinions of pros and cons of fish choices from those here before deciding on a final plan.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/11/13 09:06 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm another fan of the non-reproducing or minimal reproducing hybrids for small ponds. While it may seem like a PITA to stock fish every year to replace the ones removed, it's a far smaller PITA than having to manage a too-large population of fish that don't grow. Plus, if the fish get too prolific, you will start to have water quality issues and algae problems.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
That list of fish farms that Bill listed by the ODNR is one I had found, but was reluctant to post. It is a different link to a another list, but it is compiled by the same source(ODNR) and has many of the same dealers as the list I found. ALOT of them were/are questionable as to pond stocking ideas and suggestions. I was looking for something to fit a very specific need of what I knew was right, and boy did they have all kinds of alternatives, many of which would have lead to disastrous results.. Just be carefull.

As Bill mentioned, the trout grow fast if they have the food. I bought 11" RBT in early October, and by June they were all 16"-18". Lots of FUN!!!!!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
F-n-C provides a great example of the great fishery that all small ponds can have in fall, winter and spring.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
edc10 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thank you all for the suggestions!! I just added 2-3 dozen FHM today. Checked each one for FHM before adding to the fond. I will start checking the trout farms recommended to me and see if they will be making deliveries in my area. This sounds like alot of fun catching big trout in my small pond. Thank again all!

Ed

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Like Bill Cody said Fenders Fish and Llama farm has really nice size trout in the fall. The golden ones are awesome. Plus if you get the chance, take a few minutes to talk to Dennis Fender... He's the founder, 8o+ yrs old & can dang near answer any question you have about fresh-water fish (his family can too)! I think there are 4 generations of Fenders working the fish farm.

I'm heading back their way in about a month for X lbs of minnows and some more golden trout if they're in stock.

F
F
Ed,

If you go the "Trout Route" this fall, just remember that you probably don't have the forage necessary for them. That's not a problem, you will just need to feed them pellets. They are a blast to watch. Some of those minnows may survive, but after the trout are gone next early summer, you will want to put some more FHM in there if you aren't seeing any. If you want, we may be able to work out a visit with me here to see if you like them. You are looking for table fare, and they can be that for sure. Just get them out of your pond soon enough next year.

In regards to your PM comment with HBG. I don't think you have to go with LMB if you want the HBG. Pros-- please correct me if I'm wrong. I think you could have other kinds of predators instead. And yes, YP are feasible too if you like that option. Just decide on which fish would be your primary interest and go from there.

Jim

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
JB Askew
Recent Posts
I think I killed all my fish
by WiYeti - 05/21/24 01:57 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 05/21/24 01:08 PM
Help,BG Dying, 1 a day
by Champ59 - 05/21/24 11:30 AM
Spillway recovery from record rains
by etx-pond-c - 05/21/24 09:30 AM
Fish Finder?
by catscratch - 05/21/24 07:28 AM
Optimal vs Purina. Optimal for the Win
by Willy Wonka - 05/21/24 03:35 AM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by Boondoggle - 05/20/24 10:01 PM
Trapping the Crays
by FishinRod - 05/20/24 05:16 PM
Can a pond lose just one species of fish?
by Sunil - 05/20/24 08:09 AM
TadpolePalooza!
by Boondoggle - 05/19/24 11:20 AM
What Kind of Moss?
by FishinRod - 05/18/24 04:37 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13