Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (anthropic, esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 706 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I am doing 10% water change in the morning, then another 10% in the evening after the RES have been fed. This flushes out the poop and any uneaten food on the bottom of my large tank which has 255 gallons of water in it. Each water change only drops the temp 1 degree and it works very well cleaning out the tank which is why I do it. My tank temp always rebounds by the next time I feed. I do have a tendency to overfeed but like to keep the tank very clean. Keep in mind that this in an insulated aquaculture tank that keeps water temps very stable but it also makes it very hard for warm outside air temps to actually warm the water up. I have 55-60 very chunky RES in the 2-4" range in this tank.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty
I am doing 10% water change in the morning, then another 10% in the evening after the RES have been fed. This flushes out the poop and any uneaten food on the bottom of my large tank which has 255 gallons of water in it. Each water change only drops the temp 1 degree and it works very well cleaning out the tank which is why I do it. My tank temp always rebounds by the next time I feed. I do have a tendency to overfeed but like to keep the tank very clean. Keep in mind that this in an insulated aquaculture tank that keeps water temps very stable but it also makes it very hard for warm outside air temps to actually warm the water up. I have 55-60 very chunky RES in the 2-4" range in this tank.

Hey whatever works for you but it seems like a lot of unnecessary work and time to me. In the future if you add a center drain, external standpipe and a gate valve you could flush out all the crud with one pull of a handle. Better yet if it's circular tank you can inflow the water tangentially to the tank wall and create a circular flow to send the crude to the center drain which with one pull of the gate valve handle it's gone.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Hey whatever works for you but it seems like a lot of unnecessary work and time to me. In the future if you add a center drain, external standpipe and a gate valve you could flush out all the crud with one pull of a handle. Better yet if it's circular tank you can inflow the water tangentially to the tank wall and create a circular flow to send the crude to the center drain which with one pull of the gate valve handle it's gone.

I have all of that and my 10% water change takes just five minutes. grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Still seems like too much time and work to me, but if it works for you and you don't mind more power to ya.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Still seems like too much time and work to me, but if it works for you and you don't mind more power to ya.

How do you do water changes? and, How long does it take? wink

Last edited by JKB; 07/06/13 10:26 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Shorty says five minutes.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

I was asking you.

JKB #342570 07/07/13 12:19 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

I was asking you.

Sorry with all thise quotes and subquotes it looked to me like you were asking Shorty. blush

It takes me about 20 minutes as I have to wait for the clarifier drum to drain via a one inch I.D. hose, spray off the filter material, refill, and then put back the filter material. I could do it a lot faster if I skipped the filter material and just opened a valve, and drained off the dirty water, but typically there are a lot of solids trapped in the filter material -- if I have a heavy load of fish or tilapia -- that produce a lot of feces.

It depends on my fish load how often i do this and the species. With tilapia I could get by with once a week, wirh heavy loads of perch and bluegill I've done one 10 percent change per day to play it safe, but have gone three days with no issues.

BTW I will have two systems in the basement this fall and three systems at local high schools to raise and feed my gills and perch over the winter of which i get back in the spring for planting in the trophy pond. I've come up somewith more ways to simplify the system and make it easy to duplicate fairly reasonably. Maybe I can get one of the drafting classes to draw up an exploded view of tbe system for other high schools to duplicate.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/07/13 12:28 PM.

Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
What do you think Cecil, should I try feed training some of this years RES hatch? grin

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes from my point of view.

Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest

Would they be easier to pellet train at this smaller size?

Catching them at this size without killing them might be challenge. The one in the pitcure was caught while raking some FA tonight and it didn't make it. They are very fragile at this size. When I was finished taking pitcures I dropped this one in the tank with the larger RES that I am pellet training and it lasted about 15 seconds. One of my larger 4" fish came up and claimed it for a snack just as it started to sink.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
What do you think Cecil, should I try feed training some of this years RES hatch? grin

Sure!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Most likely as they is the way it is with bass and yellow perch.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Most likely as they is the way it is with bass and yellow perch.

BTW my yellow perch seem to prefer the 5D02 that floats for a little while over the sinking although they are snapping up the sinking feed. Go figure! Usually it take awhile for them to key in on the floating as the size gets larger.

Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
With the surface tension of water you can float small sized sinking pellets if they are dropped from a very short distance above the water. With AM 300 I can float most of the pellets if they are dropped from a height of less than an inch.

Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Here are a few of the larger RES in my pellet training tank, both of these are 4-3/4", not too bad coming from last years hatch. smile

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Very nice looking fish! I can't wait to see what they look like in 5 years!

Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I do have one RES in the tank that is slightly larger than the two pictures I posted, he is strictly a bottom feeder cleaning pellets off the bottom of the tank. I hope he does well in my fish cage.

Sometime in the next few days I am going to take all of the 3"+ RES from my tank and transfer them into my floating fish cage. I will feed them pellets for three weeks in the cage before turning them loose into the pond. My fish cage is placed near the area where I normally pellet feed my pond fish.

I plan to continue to pellet train the smaller RES I have and transfer them to the cage after I turn the larger ones loose.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Last weekend I was walking around the pond with a handful of AM500 to throw in areas of the pond not near the feeders. I saw a RES facing the shoreline about 3 ft out so I threw him a kibble. Sure enough he jumped at it and swam into a little deeper water where I coulnd't see him then returned in a few seconds. I thought I had (at least) one RES that would eat AM500. I threw him another... NOTHING. He learned the first time he didn't like it, I guess.

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
If the pellet didn't float back up right away your RES likely ate it. It's possible your RES didn't see the second pellet.

One thing I have noticed about the RES that I am pellet training is that they don't seem to see very well when food items are above their head and slightly in front of them. They always seem travel 15-20" or more straight out in front of them to eat something off the surface. This includes bloodworms on the surface which they love to eat. This might be one of the reasons they are hard to pellet train and prefer to hang out in deeper water. Their visual acuity and behavior seems to be geared for feeding on items below them rather than above.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hmm cool observation shorty.. I like what your doing with the RES.. Keep up the good work man..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Great observation!

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Update on the pellet training. I put 2/3 of the biggest RES that I had in my tanks into a cage in the pond on July 30th. Tonight I pulled the lid to see how they were doing.

I found a few 3" golden shiners in the cage with the RES.

Two of the bigger RES, looking good for 14 months.

smile

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Those things are HOGS! Looks like a few GSH snuck through the meshing of your cage, or am I seeing something else?

Shorty Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Yeah, a few 3" GSH snuck into the cage, I bet they were smaller when they first got in. I think my GSH have been spawning on the netting too.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails