Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
beauphus, Lina, blueyss, KiwiGuy, JKK
18,516 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,990
Posts558,266
Members18,516
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,575
ewest 21,507
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
2 members (B storm, Fishingadventure), 1,163 guests, and 193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#347090 08/13/13 10:02 AM
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
First I am looking for a few new Ideas for types of preserves I might want to make?

After visiting the Amish in TN for the years since I met my wife to get fresh preserves I have started to make some on my own again. I decided to do this to teach my young wife and the children how to do some things the OLD SCHOOL way. I will attach a pic of the 10 pints of Strawberry & Fig preserves we just finished canning.

Attached Images
Strawberry-Figs.jpg
Tums #347112 08/13/13 11:36 AM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
I've never heard of the fig and strawberry combination, Tums, but if they're better than figs alone, they must be great.

I remember Mother putting up corn, tomatoes, okra, string beans, peas, etc. and it looked like a real job. In fact, last week I trashed a pint of fig preserves that she had put up in the early eighties. The jar began leaking so they had to go.

My grandmother had a quart of string beans that had been put up in 1904. Still looked like they had been put up yesterday. My genius nephew opened the jar and dumped them out sometime in the 1970s because he wanted the jar. He's the same nephew that decided to enhance a bonfire by throwing a bucket of gasoline on the lowering flames. Yep, hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. He's still alive and still brilliant.

Tums #347115 08/13/13 12:07 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
You've got some family, Duds.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Tums #347116 08/13/13 12:17 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Dudley...just curious what's the oldest canned product you've consumed? I used to can a ton, but was told to toss anything over 1 year old, which broke my heart tossing my gourmet salsa pints. I cooked everything, plus add citric acid [lime/lemon] or vinegar and hot water bathe them to eliminate botulism...but that deadline had me worried.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Tums #347140 08/13/13 02:15 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Trust me if in doubt , throw it out. You do not want food poisoning. Been there one to many times.

Dudley you are right on 2 accounts. It is not possible to beat fig preserves (except possibly tart plum jam). It is amazing your genius nephew is still alive. How many times have you heard him say "watch this" right before he creates a disaster ?

Tums #347154 08/13/13 03:16 PM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
The oldest canned foods I've ever eaten were "C" rations that were undated but probably many years old. For home-canned food, I think that the "one year" policy is a very wise one provided that I canned it myself. I would eat no food canned by someone else unless I knew a lot about their abilities. I would eat some frozen foods from MY freezer that were over a year old because I have my freezer set at the lowest possible temperature, and I know that's where it is set. Usually, a freezer becomes jammed up before a year passes and older items are discarded anyway.

Sunil, it seems that almost all families have a few "special" people. I mentioned my brother to you a few years back, but we also have two nuns, an anesthetist and one of the "specials", me, whose last words will be, "Tape up the holes and light a cigarette for me, please."

Tums #347159 08/13/13 03:40 PM
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
Eric, I planted at least a dozen fig trees at my place about ten years ago Only one grew to a be a producing tree. The rest struggled for years and finally wasted away. You know that soil has to be especially poor for fig to decline. Last year, I went to pick figs from the surviving tree and found in the tree three young coons having supper. They just looked at me as I circled the tree. I talked to them for a short while and they went back to munching figs. I decided that they had a more difficult time finding food than I did so I left all the figs for them. This year, I saw no coons, but all of the figs disappeared.

I've tried to follow paths leading away from the nephew. As with the coons, he can have whatever tree he's in.

Tums #347160 08/13/13 03:46 PM
Lunker
Lunker
I worry about botulism...stories I hear are pretty frightening. Paralysis or death...for a jar of Salsa? No thank you - I can become paralyzed or dead based on my own foolhardy merits.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Tums #347163 08/13/13 03:52 PM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've eaten two year old home canned goods with no problems, quite a bit when I was a kid actually, but I agree it's best to err on the side of caution.

Home canned salsa sounds good.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
I've never heard of the fig and strawberry combination, Tums, but if they're better than figs alone, they must be great.

I would not classify Strawberry / Fig as better, but I will say it is just as good as plain figs. I had some an old timer nearby made last year and I decided to do some this year.

Tums #347176 08/13/13 05:32 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Safety is of utmost importance. We started this season with rhubarb and broccoli, but have been in full-swing for several weeks with cabbage, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, and others. As we get past this season, it will be time to start "putting-up" fish for the winter. Then it will be venison, and maybe some squirrel. That will probably lead to splitting a hog and a steer with friends. My poultry is safe for now, but I do like to pickle their eggs.

There are so many ways to preserve food I would suggest a heck of a lot of study if you are new at this. As a first step, maybe find an old codger like me who has been doing it for a number of decades without becoming dead from home-preserved foods. Search the Internet for the many great free publications by the USDA and the many state land-grant university Extension Services. Their guidelines are invaluable for safety, but yet easily achievable in today's world. I'd be wary of the many blogs out there, without first checking the USDA or Extension Service guidelines.

Just in the last several weeks and days we've started, or finished, many gallons of very low pH preserves, like sauerkraut, kosher-style garlic-dill cucumbers, relishes, and tomato sauce. Most have a safe and nutritious lifetime of about a year. Some, like my crock-style cucumbers -- maybe three months.

(Also - you can pickle/preserve summer squash and zucchini much like you use cucumbers.)

We've also flash frozen and vacuum packed a lot of things like broccoli and peppers.

Some things, like the many types of winter squash I grow, don't need anything but a cool place to be stored. I'm seriously thinking about digging a root cellar next time I get the backhoe out.

I just finished a delicious snack of smoked and pickled pig skin I removed from some brined/smoked hocks I put up last fall. The remaining brine will make a delicious batch of "pot liquor" using the last of last year's "bird egg" dried beans.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Tums #347302 08/14/13 10:34 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Half of catmandoo's post made me hungry as I approach the lunch hour.

The other half, not so much.

Odd because I know how good a cook he is....

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #347324 08/14/13 01:31 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
Half of catmandoo's post made me hungry as I approach the lunch hour.

The other half, not so much.

Odd because I know how good a cook he is....

Most of us raised in North America have only been taught about four basic food tastes: sweet, sour, bitter and salty -- or combinations of those four. But, there is a fifth that has been recognized since Ancient Rome. It was not really defined until the early 1900s, when a Japanese professor finally described it. It is what makes many of my recipes delicious. The only term I know for it, is the Japanese word "unami." But, nearly every society knows it by taste -- they just may not have a name for it.

This is what Sunil is referring to in the last part of my post. I just need better words for describing my dishes. I know that terms like "jellied pig's knuckle" or "fish head soup" are not real appetizing. As a kid, these were delicious late winter or early springtime meals as the pantry and root cellar started to empty out.

According to the link below, this is how it is best described:
Quote:
It can be described as a pleasant "brothy" or "meaty" taste with a long lasting, mouthwatering and coating sensation over the tongue

Link to Unami.

P.S. Just to make sure we link this to ponds -- let's not forget fermented fish sauces which are rich in unami. There are many. One of the best known is Lea and Perrin's fermented anchovy sauce -- better known as Worcestershire Sauce.

Last edited by catmandoo; 08/14/13 01:41 PM. Reason: Worcestershire Sauce

Tums #347360 08/14/13 04:52 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"Lea and Perrin's fermented anchovy sauce -- better known as Worcestershire Sauce. "

Potentially a bout of gout waiting to happen....

Tums #347363 08/14/13 05:11 PM
R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
To steer it back closer to our ponds - do you want to know how Worcestershire Sauce got it's name? I thought so: Well you see, these two good ol' boys were out in the woods fishing, and after they came back with their catch, Clem cooked up a special fish dinner for his buddy, Cletus. During the course of the meal, Cletus said to Clem, "this is great and whatsthishere sauce. The rest is history...

Just do it...
Tums #347375 08/14/13 08:54 PM
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Speaking canning and ponds, anyone ever do smoked fish? If so please tell of the experience.

Tums #347379 08/14/13 09:10 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've smoked (but not canned) Trout, Barracuda, Tuna (yellowfin and bluefin), Barred Sand Bass, and Bonito.

Electric Luhr Jensen smoker. I followed the directions that came with the smoker. Brining them in salt/brown sugar and letting them dry 'till a pellicle formed, then putting them in the smoker.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Tums #347380 08/14/13 09:11 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Tums
Speaking canning and ponds, anyone ever do smoked fish? If so please tell of the experience.

I do a lot of fish smoking. Over the years I've done many different kinds, ranging from redhorse suckers to mullet. I mostly only do trout these days, because that is what I have the easier access to. Good smoked fish needs to be oily/fatty. Fish like bluegill and bass turn to dry jerky -- but, for some, that is OK. One of my favorite ways to serve smoked fish is as a spread mixed with cream cheese, garlic, dill, and fresh horse radish.

In nearly all cases, the fish need to be brined before smoking.

I also 'can' fish, bones and all. Small bluegill, when canned, make good substitutes for canned tuna or salmon. The bones become quite soft and nearly unnoticeable after processing in jars in a pressure cooker. The will keep for years when processed like this.

I also pickle fish, which are especially delicious as snacks on rye crackers served with a glass of cold white wine.

catmandoo #347384 08/14/13 09:45 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have a HUGE crop of peaches and small cooking apples. Any ideas on how to save them for use later? Mom got a bunch of apples to make applesauce but she said they are a PITA to peel and core because they aren't that big. I'd like to come up with an easy way to peel and core them but I'm stumped. Even those old crank corers would take a LONG time to get 'em done.

Don't know what apples they are. Green, and are all completely ripe by Sept 1.

The peaches? They're maybe 2 1/2" across. My sister picked 2 bushel baskets full and it looks like she didn't touch the trees. The oldest tree, which was half dead has half it's good branches broken now. The others which are 3-4 years old have their branches bending all the way to the ground.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Tums #347395 08/15/13 12:29 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Scott - Peach wood is great for smoking everything, esp fish, pork and poultry - as you might be aware. Will you post smoking something with the dead parts of the tree this Fall?

esshup #347408 08/15/13 06:20 AM
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Mom got a bunch of apples to make applesauce but she said they are a PITA to peel and core because they aren't that big. I'd like to come up with an easy way to peel and core them but I'm stumped. Even those old crank corers would take a LONG time to get 'em done.

Our local Bed Bath and & Beyond carries an crank apple peeler/corer/slicer that runs $20.00, it makes short work of it. My wife has already canned a bunch of apples for future pies. smile

We have peaches too, but they are lot more work to put up.

esshup #347412 08/15/13 06:57 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
I have a HUGE crop of peaches and small cooking apples. Any ideas on how to save them for use later? Mom got a bunch of apples to make applesauce but she said they are a PITA to peel and core because they aren't that big. I'd like to come up with an easy way to peel and core them but I'm stumped. Even those old crank corers would take a LONG time to get 'em done.

Scott,

If the apples will be used for apple sauce, or even apple butter, they don't need to be peeled and cored. Cut them in half or quarters. Heat them in a pot until they are mushy. Then run them through a food mill to remove the skins and seeds.

I have no answers for the peaches.

Ken

catmandoo #347436 08/15/13 09:40 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ken, that's a great idea. Do you have a brand that you prefer? I'd rather purchase a heavier, more expensive one than a cheaper, lighter one if it will last longer/do a better job/be easier to use and clean.

*edit* Talked to Mom. She has her mothers mill, but it doesn't have interchangeable screens. So, if the seeds go thru the screen then one will be purchased.

Last edited by esshup; 08/15/13 09:46 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Tums #347441 08/15/13 10:08 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I'd vote for cider if you have a few different varieties of apples....Mmmmm..........

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
sprkplug #347442 08/15/13 10:13 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I do. Red Delicious, Golden, Gala, Wolf River, Winter Bannana, Scarlet (no apples this year due to drought stress from last year), and a few others.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
gone fishing with dogs
Recent Posts
Detective Erika
by highflyer - 05/05/24 05:06 PM
When will I see schools of threadfin?
by esshup - 05/05/24 03:53 PM
My First
by x101airborne - 05/05/24 07:39 AM
Iris vs Pickerel