Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,095
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (esshup, Sunil, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS), 719 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
KSBASS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Everything that i have read is that to stock around 5 to 1 BG to RES. I am wondering why this is. BG can overpopulate and RES don't so why not stock the same ratio? I was thinking about stocking 300 RES and 300 BG in a 1/2 acre pond. Any thoughts

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Depends on what your goals are... RES are not nearly as prolific as BG, so if you are expecting them produce trophy base, you may end up short on the forage.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd sure like to hear other's experience with RES. I keep putting them in my ponds. I see them spawning, but I never see any fry or fingerlings. I catch less than five per year -- but the ones I catch are all monsters. They immediately go back in the pond.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
B
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
B
I have what I consider to be a good population of RES. My pond is 60 years old and it has been thirty to forty years since they were stocked. I generally catch all sizes, up to about 12 oz. I have never seen worms in any of my fish.

I probably catch 10 or 15 bluegill to each RES, based on what part of the three acre pond I fish.

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far." � Neil Simon,
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I recently stocked 250 RES into a 4.3 acre pond that was bass heavy last year. Fortunately the 3"-5" range with several pushing 8".

This spring when we did a seine survey, we caught several RES in spawning colors in one shallow cove where they appeared to be spawning. Hopefully next year will pull in some YOY and yearling RES.

K
KSBASS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I was just really thinking of stocking alot more RES and same amount of BG. Just to have a large wide food base. Do RES eat alot of FHM and BG fry or shiner fry? I am just going to load up on bait fish and I don't have any experience with the RES

K
KSBASS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
So back to my original question how many RES would be to much for a 1/2 to 3/4 acre pond? I am going to stock the pond with 25 SMB and 25 LMB nest fall. I currently have 20 lbs of fhm and 5 lbs of GSH.

F
F
My guess is that RES is like any other fish. If they don't have enough food, they will get stunted. The more you over stock them, the more likely that will happen. Perhaps you can make sure they have enough forage to do well. I know they will eat snails and worms. Perhaps others can give you all the other things they will eat.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Many of us have looked at the available scientific studies , talked to the on the ground biologists and sent out requests on the matter of RES stunting. We can not find a single instance or report of RES stunting. They may starve to death if no food but as far as we can tell no stunting due to over reproduction.

J
J
Also if you want both SMB and LMB, you want single sexes of each or the LMB will outcompete the SMB.

F
F
Originally Posted By: ewest
Many of us have looked at the available scientific studies , talked to the on the ground biologists and sent out requests on the matter of RES stunting. We can not find a single instance or report of RES stunting. They may starve to death if no food but as far as we can tell no stunting due to over reproduction.

That's interesting Ewest. Always more to learn!

K
KSBASS Offline OP
OP Offline
K
yep i figured after 7 to 10 years the LMB will overtake the SMB.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think you could stock any ratio of BG:RES if you understand the consequences. Main drawback is lack of sunfish offspring to feed the bass. Consider stocking a heavy percentage of RES 80%-90% or just RES and just SMB. Then later add BG, when you see the BG YOY out numbering the RES more than your goals then add the LMB. In a small pond like yours it will eventually become dominated by BG-LMB if both are present. There are numerous stocking ratios possible. A RES-YP-SMB minnow/shiner combo is a pretty good starting point.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/05/13 04:16 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
My guess is that RES is like any other fish. If they don't have enough food, they will get stunted. The more you over stock them, the more likely that will happen. Perhaps you can make sure they have enough forage to do well. I know they will eat snails and worms. Perhaps others can give you all the other things they will eat.

I think you are right fish n chips. The eyes on these two RES (top two) have signs of stunting, they are overly large relative to their body size. I got a handful of these from the fish truck last year.

Compared to:

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I'd sure like to hear other's experience with RES. I keep putting them in my ponds. I see them spawning, but I never see any fry or fingerlings. I catch less than five per year -- but the ones I catch are all monsters. They immediately go back in the pond.

Cat I have had decent luck with my RES. 2 weeks ago I caught 5 or six smaller ones. 2 inches to about 6 inches. I hadn't seen any all year until I broke out the worms and actually tried to catch them and there they were. Although I caught a few a couple of years ago that were already pushing 9 inches and I have not seem them again. They must be in there though cause I have smaller ones and I did not put them there. I have also caught a couple GSF/RES hybrids.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Shorty - the lower two fish look like GSF or GSF hybrids and obviously different than pure RES.

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Shorty - the lower two fish look like GSF or GSF hybrids and obviously different than pure RES.

Yep, those two did NOT get loose in my pond.

I posted about my expierence with the 50 additinal RES that I got from the "fish truck" during "fish days" in the spring of 2012. Cecil thought the two RES morts I had looked stunted.

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=293460&page=2

Do the top two RES look stunted?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Shorty asks -""Do the top two RES look stunted?"" Yes I think by the size of their eyes in relation to body size they are somewhat stunted. This could be a common occurrence for the larger RES if there are not enough of the correct foods in the culture ponds which usually are overcrowded with fish so some RES stunting of larger individuals is very likely common for certain fish farmers. Not all fish farmers raise fish the same way. Locate good reliable fish farmers for your quality stockers - it is probably worth a little extra money to get better stocker fish.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/08/13 06:52 PM.

Lunker
Lunker
These RES were just "bonus" fish from a secondary source with I think a more southern origin than the ones I had already stocked. The ones I stocked earlier were from a good source and larger, 4-6". My thoughts were a little genetic diversity might be helpful. My SMB came from two different sources as well.

I do have a small number of runts in my pellet training program that are last years hatch that are only 1-1/2". I could catch one and see if has large eyes. On the other end of the spectrum I have a few from last years hatch that are near 5".

Last edited by Shorty; 08/08/13 09:11 PM.

F
F
Originally Posted By: Shorty
These RES were just "bonus" fish from a secondary source with I think a more southern origin than the ones I had already stocked. The ones I stocked earlier were from a good source and larger, 4-6". My thoughts were a little genetic diversity might be helpful. My SMB came from two different sources as well.

I do have a small number of runts in my pellet training program that are last years hatch that are only 1-1/2". I could catch one and see if has large eyes. On the other end of the spectrum I have a few from last years hatch that are near 5".

If you did check this out like you mentioned, wouldn't this count as a good field study as to the possibility of RES stunting? Pictures of course help with the proof?

Lunker
Lunker
I will catch one of my runts tonight, the runts I have were 1" long when I seined them out of the pond at the begining of July. To me it's not clear if the smaller RES from last years hatch are late spawn fish or just slow growers that prefered to stay hidden in the weeds rather than feed. I do have very limited spawning areas so my adult RES may have taken turns in the spawning area.

I will run a seine survey this weekend too and take some pictures. One thing to consider is that I have a "gazllion" GSH that hatched this spring that they should be competing for some of the same aquatic groceries that my small RES need.

Lunker
Lunker
Here is one my runts from last years hatch. Stunted?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I don't think it is stunted very much but maybe a little. It appears plump. It could just be one of the slow growers in that year class - natural variability.

Lunker
Lunker
Quote:
It appears plump.

This one has been in one of my tanks for the last five weeks, he has been eating bloodworms but not pellets. He is no longer competing with my YOY GSH for food and has actually grown some since I pulled him out of the pond. I'll take some pictures of what I find during my siene survey this weekend.

Here is a thread and pictures from a "rake" survey I did in March/April of 2013 for comparison.

RES Fingerlings - Winter Survivors

Last edited by Shorty; 08/11/13 08:36 AM.

Lunker
Lunker

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass