Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96, flowindustrial
18,482 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,786
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
8 members (Bucyrus22B, Rangersedge, JPierson, MidwestCass, catscratch, Boondoggle, esshup, Theeck), 1,033 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#343120 07/10/13 06:50 PM
B
OP Offline
B
We received over 2" of rain today and my pond was flowing through the overflow.
It is 3/4 acre and stocked with YP, RES & WE..........I was looking at my overflow discharge and noticed lots of fry swimming in the shallow grass. Tons of 2" LMB fry!

What should I do?????????

Thanks

Last edited by bigbambo; 07/10/13 07:24 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Get use too LMB, if there's fry there's prolly larger ones? Unless these small ones just washed in?

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yeah, time to learn to manage having LMB in your pond...

B
OP Offline
B
What do you think will happen and on what timeline?

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Hard to say, as it is hard to know exactly how many and of what maturity are the LMB that found their way into your pond via the high water event. When the water levels go down and you can safely fish, I would fish and target LMB of different sizes. I would also attempt a seine survey if you own a seine to see what YOY are present and in what numbers...

B
OP Offline
B
The LMB did not enter via high water for the only water entering is from runoff rain water via hills and gutters. Can blue herons or ducks introduce them?

I've put a huge amount of effort, money and time into this pond and feel just sick! oh well, it could be worse! thanks

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd put my money on a neighbor kid, friend or a helpful relative stocking the LMB vs. a bird.

Target fish for the LMB and remove every one caught, no matter if they are 1" long or 24" long. Anybody that fishes the pond has to do the same thing too. I wouldn't let anybody fish the pond with live minnows because they might dump the excess in the pond, and you never know what is in the bucket unless you inspect every minnow .

Last edited by esshup; 07/10/13 08:31 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I question the wisdom of YP, RES, and walleye. LMB may be a good thing.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Can you get a pic for positive id..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I'm with Esshup. Birds don't bring fish any more than storks bringing babies.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Birds don't bring fish any more than storks bringing babies.
WHAT??? Storks don't bring babies????

B
OP Offline
B
I have heard this logic in the past and often wondered the odds of eggs being transported by waterfowl? My other pond has LMB, BG, RES and crappie. This is the only pond I've let other people fish in. This pond is also approx 6" below grade of my YP pond and the runoff from these ponds do not mix.

I told my neighbor my goals and not to stock any of his fish in this pond if he had the urge to help me. I hate to think he would have added them for whatever reason but ....... it's is what is it is and time to look forward.

I'll try to post some pics today.

Cecil, can you tell me your approach of managing this mix in that, YP will make it to the table for years to come?

Thank you all

B
OP Offline
B
here some.......lost lots of tadpoles too! They are only an inch or so long.

Last edited by bigbambo; 07/11/13 09:25 AM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: bigbambo

Cecil, can you tell me your approach of managing this mix in that, YP will make it to the table for years to come?

Thank you all

I just see a lack of a predators to keep the YP and RE numbers down. Have you conferred with Bill Cody? But now that you have lmb that's a moot point.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 07/13/13 10:09 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C

Little eating machines!

B
OP Offline
B
I'm hoping Bill will chime in!

I'm hoping this pond can be something different than a basic BG & LMB mix. I've been trapping with a minnow trap every year and never caught a LMB till now. Assuming this is the first year of a LMB spawn, how will this pond evolve with little management? Can it be saved with removement of all bass caught?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Darn. Did you check every fish including all minnows that came from the hatchery??. I commonly see a few LMB fingerlings in the mix of other species of fingerlings from 'hatcheries'. This is often a fact of fish farm management especially if the operation is more than a one man operation. Regardless you have LMB.

Back to your original plan. CB1 says -""I question the wisdom of YP, RES, and walleye. LMB may be a good thing."" I think the walleye could have easily controlled the YP-RES combination. If the few initial stocker walleye were not getting the predatory job accomplished, then just add more WE each year until you see the balance or your goal happening. You want a few but not too many YP and RES each year moving into the mature class of fish. Numbers recruited each year are based on the harvest rate, predation rate, natural mortality, and the amount of food available so the recruits always grow well.

Management of numbers is not going to be as easy now since LMB are in the fishery. The number of LMB fingerlings you are seeing is a good indication of the potential number of big mouthed, hungry, predator LMB that will be added each year from as few as two mature bass. Not good at all IMO for the goal of a YP-RES fishery.

esshup says: ""Target fish for the LMB and remove every one caught, no matter if they are 1" long or 24" long."" I agree with this. In weed-free ponds with a focus on YP that have LMB the only ones I see that are really successful IMO are those that remove every LMB caught. This keeps the prolific predators well controlled so the YP regularly recruit new perch into the fishery. I would also add a few walleye in hopes the WE when established will also eat a few small bass (2"-6") to help keep their density lower. IMO you can not remove too many bass with your original goal for the fishery. Two adult bass will produce more bass than you want or need each year. I am now seeing some small ponds produce very good YP fisheries with just perch, pellet feeding and no predators besides YP.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
OP Offline
B
Not what I wanted to hear but life goes on. The only bulk fish added were FHM in 2009 and were not inspected closely. If YOY LMB were in this batch, would the timeline be correct for the first spawn this year?

I stocked 33 WE 6 to 8 inches last fall.......how many more would I want to stock? Would bigger be better? How uphill is my climb?

Bill, a lot of good things happened in creating this fishery and one was meeting you and trying to follow your advise! Keep on doing what you do.......it means more than you know.

Doug & Michelle

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
The time line is good for LMB coming in with your FHM. Stock contamination is very likely the most common way unwanted species find their way into a pond. FHM are often stocked first before bass or other predators. Thus the hitchhikers get a predator free food rich head start.

B
OP Offline
B
That's music to my ears.....I like my neighbor! lol

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
The time line is good for LMB coming in with your FHM. Stock contamination is very likely the most common way unwanted species find their way into a pond. FHM are often stocked first before bass or other predators. Thus the hitchhikers get a predator free food rich head start.

I see green sunfish and sticklebacks combined with fatheads very commonly in my area when they are bought in bulk. Very good idea to look them over before planting.

This year I found a little pike in my pond. Not sure on how did it get there (in this case it's certainly not neighbour kid :D) but I'm sure that it was not the only one.
It might change a lot but life still goes on and probably I'll find a solution. I wish the same to you, bigbambo.

P
P
The LMB did not enter via high water for the only water entering is from runoff rain water via hills and gutters. Can blue herons or ducks introduce them?

I've put a huge amount of effort, money and time into this pond and feel just sick! oh well, it could be worse! thanks

I think birds do carry them, perhaps as fertilized eggs on their feet. I have a big pond across the road and a small one in front of the house. The small one is strictly a HBG pond with nothing else added. I feed them and fish them out to eat as well as let family and friends bring their kids to fish. A Heron used to visit everyday until the boogey man got him. Somehow BH catfish got in there and they seem to get into any fishery in this area. I seine them out but never get them all. They train to feed at an early age.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: poppy65
I think birds do carry them, perhaps as fertilized eggs on their feet.

Um, no. Nothing is ever 100% regarding ponds, but how would they do this? The eggs are not sticky (so how would they stick to their feet), and they have to be fanned to keep oxygenated water washing over the eggs.

Cody note: some fish eggs are quite sticky. So if a fish lays eggs on a birds foot how does the eggs get off the foot. Did you ever try to scrape carp eggs off the side of a boat. One needs a putty knife. Also a wet fish egg dries out pretty quickly once it leaves the water. It doesn't take much drying to kill the egg or keep it from hatching.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 07/28/13 01:24 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Grundulis
This year I found a little pike in my pond. Not sure on how did it get there (in this case it's certainly not neighbour kid :D) but I'm sure that it was not the only one.
It might change a lot but life still goes on and probably I'll find a solution. I wish the same to you, bigbambo.

Thanks!

I'll keep monitoring and recording this pond's life cycle. It might help someone, some day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:03 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by esshup - 04/18/24 07:01 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward