Hey guys, I have a runoff pond. Approx. 35-45' x 85'. About half of it is 2-3' deep the other half 4-5' deep. In MN. IT get covered in a thick mat of duckweed every year.

Some suggested Reward, some didn't, but I thought I would give it a shot. Here are my comments:

I have tried using Reward, and are not real pleased with the result.

The problem is even if I can stay ahead of it with weekly (or more) treatments the pond still LOOKS bad. With a mixer of dead and living duckweed and a film (I'm guessing from the spray).

Aside from being a lot of work (which I new going in) it just is not accomplishing what I wanted, a clean open water pond!

So what are my option at this point. I know Sonar may be a better bet if I start early (maybe next year).
But with Sonar needing to stay in the pond, should I drain it down some in the spring before adding Sonar so water will not flow out with the first couple of rains?

Is there a better option? Would draining the pond completely and making it deeper do anything? I would have to go MUCH deeper to keep fish over winter so that would not really be an option.

In other words, if I want a clean, open water viewing pond, what are the steps I need to take?

Thanks