Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (jpsdad, azteca, esshup, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371), 708 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Here's a video of one of the feeders going off. At around the 45 second mark or so, you'll see a GBH fly into the right side of the screen. It's wingspan was probably close to 6', maybe 7'. We were about 100' feet from the feeder. Josh (Omaha) is throwing a top water into the fray. Generally, we'd fish topwaters around the feeder starting an hour or so before the went off. Crazy!:

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Here's ewest with a big LMB:

"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It was an incredible four days. I have no idea of how many fish I caught. Two of the BG were just short of 2 lbs. Nearly all were over a pound.

I wasn't having much luck using crickets or Stubby Steve's. Then I added a cricket to a hook that had one of the original type SS pellets. Yikes! I had BG stripping line off the reel.

It was a fantastic experience with some of the best people on this earth.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Guys, Thanks for coming down to Kingfisher. It was an absolute blast having you guys here and getting your take on things. It should be illegal to have as much fun as we did. I hope everyone made it home safe. Take care

Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Just a note for everyone...RM/Kingfisher currently has (6) boats, so the total trip was maxed out at twelve attendees plus the Luskie.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Gene Jensen
Guys, Thanks for coming down to Kingfisher. It was an absolute blast having you guys here and getting your take on things. It should be illegal to have as much fun as we did. I hope everyone made it home safe. Take care

Gene, likewise it was great spending time with you. Gang, Gene is one of the guides at KFS and a heck of a good guy. He and the other guides worked their tails off to make sure we had an unforgettable experience on the lake, but I think we may have also left an impression on them. Well, anyhow I suspect that SOME of us left an impression on them, but we won't name names! grin

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I agree with everything Ken said here. It was an incredible trip, made so as much as anything by the company. The Pond Boss family is amazing - meeting friends who you have known online only and finally spending real time together changes the whole dynamic. That's the biggest reason that all of us need to get involved in local/regional PB gatherings as it brings all together more closely and makes this great community just that much more special.

Richmond Mill Lake is incredible, too, producing amazing fish under some pretty interesting conditions, including tannic water with a pH of 5.8! The feeding program there - over 50 feeders on 130 acres - has produced amazing growth and very high quality fish.

We did luck out weather wise, I believe, as it was not as hot there as it normally is this time of year. The bite was easier because of that and the fish were all over the place, making it easier to get on them and figure out a pattern. It was interesting to see how the pattern changed a bit from day 1 to day 2 and even on day 2 how it changed a little bit as the day wore on.

All in all, a fantastic trip and one I'd urge any of you to consider adding to your bucket list!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Amazing fishery well documented with fabulous photography!
Glad I was able to "tag along" as a virtual participant.
Thanks,
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

F
F
I agree with George, nice to be there thru pics. Looks unbelievable.

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker

Every time a group of Pond Boss faithful gather, I go away amazed at a variety of things. This time, at King Fisher Society's Richmond Mill Lake, 12 guys drawn by a common bond collected to enjoy two days of fellowship and fishing. There was lots of planning and I got to follow that process through a private message thread that numbered almost 1,000 posts during the last three months. I have to chuckle about that. 12 different guys, 12 different personalities coming together like a well-oiled machine. Catmandoo took charge of the food..as those of us who know him...expected he would do. ewest helped coordinate logistics and rendered organization. Teehjaeh57 handled the negotiations to set up the trip...that's what business developers do. FireIsHot and DaveDavidson made the road trip from Texas, collecting supplies along the 1,200 mile, two day drive. Todd3138 and Victor had never met most of these guys and they were excited to actually meet people with whom they have been friends for several years. It was like a family reunion with people they'd actually never met. Victor continually had a mile-wide smile, simply happy to be there, as he continually cleaned and quietly took care of the "little things" that he does. Omaha joined forces to help make sure tasks were done. Yolk Sac's thoughtful ways helped with simple things as courtesy and a refrigerator drawer of sandwiches that saved lots of time at lunch. Sunil was the welcoming party the entire time. His quick wit and ease with everyone gave rise to many chuckles and good memories. Bruce Condello was giving of his talents, too. rmedgar fit the mold as a team player, but was struggling to catch fish. Bruce picked up on it, joined the fray and put Randy on several personal bests. Around the fire pit at night, the group gathered, shared stories and nursed their favorite beverages. I think most were amazed at the majesty of the place, the uniqueness of the fishery and the time spent together. They'd heard the stories, now they have the experience. They all have knowledge about fish and pond management, but most were intrigued at the way this lake behaves. It's not "normal" as one said. Two other guys said, "This lake is an enigma."
They are correct.
But, the most interesting part is one which repeats itself every time a group of Pond Boss people come together. There's an energy and a bond that defies description. The chemistry works, everyone chips in and does what's needed for the good of the entire group.
The photo at the top of this post was shot by ewest and shows a peaceful sunrise...a fair description of this entire time together with these guys. Two from Pennsylvania, two from West Virginia, one from Georgia, one from Tennessee, one from Mississippi, two from Texas and three from Nebraska...different guys from different parts of the United States, together to do what all of them love to do.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
On Saturday night, Josh/Omaha was a dead ringer for this guy due to his sunburned nose:

(or at least I though so....I was cracking myself up about it)

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Here's a nice double of 1.5# BG.

Glad to have had the opportunity to meet and fish with the man, the myth, the legend known as el Victorino.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The body dynamics on those RM BG are so different from what I expected to see. Not that they aren't huge, but most bigger BG that I have seen tend to share the "frisbee" shape....nearly as tall as they are long. The photos you guys have posted appear to show fish that are long, with a very definitive slender transition from body-to-tail. And speaking of which, those tails are massive! If a small tail on a large fish is representative of a very quick growth, then do these photos show BG which are older, and much more slower growing?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I don't remember having that picture taken of me Sunil!

That is a great pic of you guys, TJ and Victor.

Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
sprkplug, there were some gills that had the classic, circular, dinner plate look too.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hey guys I just want too say thanks for posting the pics I know it takes time to take and post pics but guys like me really appreciate it..

Thanks
BGK

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Lunker
Lunker
Sunil, Ken, Yolk, Bruce and Josh all topped the 2# mark I recall, and more guys probably too. I imagine those fish exhibited the dinner plate characteristics more than my sub 2# "dinks". I was intrigued by the CNBG I caught as they were so much larger and colored differently than any BG I'd ever caught before...the CNBG is certainly a beautiful fish. We did catch some pretty hefty Northern BG also - they certainly hold their own at RM.

I nearly missed the BG bite the entire first day of fishing as Bruce, Yolk and myself were reluctant to throw the cricket/bobber combo and were adamantly slinging artificials all day. Once I switched over to live bait on day 2, our boat [Todd and Victor] had a 75 BG day with 90% between 1-1.75#. I want to state that Yolk never quit his sniper casting jigs, however, and continued to catch massive BG throughout the trip. He's a deadly accurate caster and a world class human being, too...really enjoyed my time on the boat with him, Bruce, Todd and el Victorino.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
On Saturday night, Josh/Omaha was a dead ringer for this guy due to his sunburned nose:

(or at least I though so....I was cracking myself up about it)

Enrique, I laughed so hard I think I ruptured something that night.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yep....it's not easy to catch large numbers of big BG without getting your fingers dirty! I love to throw artificial for Bluegills also, but fact is, live bait flat-out catches fish.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Dawn on day one at Richmond Mill Lake

The Morgan Home at RM.

Dining room at Morgan house

1.5 lb BG

Stubby Steve's and TTI/Blakemore/True Turn products

The Dam at RM

Ken with 1.9375 lb (1 lb 15 ozs) BG

Ken with a 1-12 lb BG

5 lb LMB

Snacks -- thank you Cat !

Last edited by ewest; 06/25/13 09:04 AM.

Sunil Online Content OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
OP Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
The live cricket rig was just a unweighted bobber maybe 15-18" above the hook, with two larger split shot halfway between.

Frankly, an ugly, ugly set up. BUT, lethal!

I guess with the reduced water visibility, such a cumbersome live bait set up would go unseen a bit more than in clear water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
How much water flows thru that lake? If that picture is indicitave of a normal flow, combined with the pH and tannic acid, I wonder if it has much of a bloom?

I want to see a pic of a 3# BG! I thought for sure, from the pictures a while ago that the 3# mark would be eclipsed on this trip.

Is it strictly catch and release? Or can you catch and keep? If C&R, how do the LMB keep the BG numbers in check?

It sure looks like everyone had a great time.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: ewest

Does water always flow like that over the spillway at Richmond Hill? It make me wonder how many small BG get washed down stream?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Yes that is normal water flow. Sometimes even more.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Originally Posted By: Shorty
It make me wonder how many small BG get washed down stream?

"Small" BG?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass