Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
While I use bacteria to control my suspended algae in my trout pond, downstream in my warmwater pond I have filimentous algae I may want to control. I feed mainly largemouth bass twice daily so I am adding nutrients to the water. If I use cutrine plus on the filimentous algae (only adjacent to the shoreline and is spreading out and deeper) will it be detrimental to my emergent vegetation? I have some soft bullrush which I really like, and some type of aquatic grass that is attractive and reduces erosion along the banks. I have for the most part eliminated my cattails (were taking over the pond).

I realize some filimentous algae is not a problem and even benefical, however, I don't want too many hiding places for the bluegill as I am attempting to grow big bluegills also. The algae forms a canopy over the drop off providing lots of cover.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
Cecil - true plants (particularly emergent macrophytes) will very rarely be injured by CUTRINE PLUS at algaecidal dosage levels. Actually, CUTRINE PLUS is labeled for hydrilla control - but only at a dose that is far higher than those that are used for algae control. KD

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll be using it anyway. The algae is disappearing. I don't know if it is cooler temps or Aquatrong bacteria running in from the trout pond.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil - Where you been?
Cutrine-Plus will kill the Aquatron bacteria plus most all the other natural strains in your pond thus decreasing the natural decomposition in your pond system until the system reseeds/recolonizes itself and recovers.
Loose any fish in the Hot spell? I lost a few perch that were heat? stressed in a cage. BC

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bill,

I started having a problem logging in on this site. When I went to log in, the site said my password was incorrect. I then tried to re-register but it said my name, email etc. were already being used! No kidding! Anyway, I finally got someone on the site to delete me so I could re-register. I had to add a 1 to my name in order to do so, as the site kept saying my name was already being used -- again.

Anyway I'm back. I've sent you several emails, but we still must be having server problems.

Yes, I lost one of those female perch out of about 90 when it got hot. The rest seem fine. However, I took them out of the cage months ago as they just didn't seem to be adapting. I did some stringent scientific only sampling about a month ago (rod and reel!) and released 4 jumbo perch in a row on a white jig. They were all at least 12 inches and chunky. I have some perch feeding with the bass everyday, and a lot of fish farther out I can't see, which may or may not be perch. If they are not feeding on the pellets they apparently have adapted to natural feed -- of which there is plenty.

My almost 100 caged feed trained largemouths did fine once the weather finally warmed up this spring, and I released them into the open water a couple months ago. They are feeding right in there with the big guys and growing fast.

The smallmouth had trouble adapting to the cage so they were prematurely realeased early. They are around as I have caught and released some.

Oh, back to the algae in the warmwater pond. No need for Cutrine Plus. It vanished in a period of about 2 or 3 days about a week ago. Not a trace anymore. And it was getting really prolific. I don't know if it is because the Aquatron finally kicked in after 4 or 5 weeks (they say it can take up to 8 weeks), or it was a combined effect from the overflow from the trout pond that also was treated with Aquatron. It could also be that an increase in submergent vegetation is competing for nutrients -- or something else -- or all of the above. I have an increase in chara in the shallow water near the bank, (dug out the pond with a steep slope but had high winds this spring that did some damage.)

The only way to know for sure what caused the algae to disappear would be to have several ponds and a control and figure it out scientifically -- which is not an option. Or maybe you know?

Keep in touch and your posts are helpful and interesting. Your experience shows.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM