Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (dg84s, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Fishingadventure, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 798 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: small pond
I don't eat too much fish but I guess that's just because My mom and dad always bought fish from the supermarket and they always seemed to have that fishy taste but I do like fresh trout catfish bg ect.

I plan on harvesting the fish this fall eating most and getting the biggest one mounted.

I grew up not really liking freshwater fish because my parents really didn't know how to cook them although I sure liked to catch them. Once I learned different ways to cook them it made a big difference.

Still nothing beats freshly caught fish or scallops like when I lived in Massachusetts. Once you freeze fish the quality declines IMHO.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/13 01:57 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Originally Posted By: CB
When I harvest my big ones I euthanize them by overdosing them with an anesthetic.

Originally Posted By: essup
Is the fish edible if killed that way?

Not advisable. As you know Scott my fish are not grown to eat.

However, these fish can be smoked, or, if one prefers, baked into brownies.

Are you sure? The FDA won't allow fish to go on the market within so many days of being anesthesized. I also use much more than the normsl amount for euthanizing.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Are you sure? The FDA won't allow fish to go on the market within so many days of being anesthesized. I also use much more than the normsl amount for euthanizing.

Cecil, if you ever get tired of taxidermy, let me know. We can take our show on the road. Penn and Teller, Abbott and Costello, they won't have anything on "Baird and Sac".

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
When I harvest my big ones I euthanize them by overdosing them with an anesthetic.

Originally Posted By: essup
Is the fish edible if killed that way?

Not advisable. As you know Scott my fish are not grown to eat.

However, these fish can be smoked, or, if one prefers, baked into brownies.

Mmmmmm...can't stop with just one..... whistle

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

I grew up not really liking freshwater fish because my parents really didn't know how to cook them although I sure liked to catch them. Once I learned different ways to cook them it made a big difference.

Still nothing beats freshly caught fish or scallops like when I lived in Massachusetts. Once you freeze fish the quality declines IMHO.
It sure does help knowing to cook the fish did you know that most mc donalds in Maine sell lobster rolls The crab they use has to be from the previous years catch. sick Maby It's none of my business but How long did you live in Massachusetts?

Last edited by small pond; 06/06/13 02:16 PM.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mmmmmmmm.... Fresh Bluefin steaks or fresh Wahoo.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Cecil, if you ever get tired of taxidermy, let me know. We can take our show on the road. Penn and Teller, Abbott and Costello, they won't have anything on "Baird and Sac".

P.M. sent.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/13 06:07 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: small pond
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

It sure does help knowing to cook the fish did you know that most mc donalds in Maine sell lobster rolls The crab they use has to be from the previous years catch. sick Maby It's none of my business but How long did you live in Massachusetts?

Yeah I saw the lobster rolls last time I was out there. One of my favorite seafood restaurants is called the Weathervane but I ate at a restaurant once right on a wharf in Boston and it didn't get any fresher than that as they were bringing in the catch of the day we ate.

There are some restaurants out therec that are outrageously expensive but the fish isn't any better. Learned to avoid them.

Lived in Mass from 67' to 71' on an Army Post when my dad was in the military. Had 35 acre lake pretty much all to myself right behind quarters surrounded by a deep woods. Caught a lot of brook trout in that lake along with some browns and rainbow, bluegill, yellow perch, and largemouth bass.

5000 lakes and reservoirs in a Mass which is a third the size of Indiana. Bluegill are considered trash fish out there by most anglers so the bluegill fishing is phenomenal.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/13 06:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday