Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,412
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, esshup, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Requa, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 811 guests, and 213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Here are a few trout that I have lost due to stress and low DO Can somebody tell me why the one brook trout turned yellow just before it died?

Last edited by small pond; 06/05/13 12:52 PM.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
SP, sorry for your loss! I know you were doing what you could to try to prevent that.

I can't explain the color change but I'm sure someone else will.

And hopefully it's not a complete loss!

Keith

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Lunker
Lunker
Just a guess, but the light colored one probably died a few hours earlier than the other two and is a little farther along in the process of decomposition.

Do you have any survivors?

Copy and Paste.....

Stale trout can be recognised by their sunken eyes, loss of colour and bloom from the skin, and the accumulation of yellow slime on skin and gills.

K
K
SMPD, sorry about your loss. Hopefully you will get some rain in the next couple of days. This system was a big rain maker in Florida the last few days so you may get a good soaker. If you don't get the rain you may want to take the rest of them out. I haven't been able to go to my ponds for a month and went yesterday. The bigger pond looked like we may have had a kill also. The bad thing about owning stuff is that you have problems with it. Take care and the best of luck to YOU.

Two ponds, 13 and 15 acres on the Mattaponi River.
O
O

Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
Copy and Paste.....

Stale trout can be recognised by their sunken eyes, loss of colour and bloom from the skin, and the accumulation of yellow slime on skin and gills.

Found same article...Got busy and didn't post fast enough...lol

http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5945e/x5945e01.htm

Handling fresh trout
Rainbow trout should preferably be starved before slaughter. The newly caught fish should be gutted, washed and packed in ice to keep them in good condition. Gutting can be done by hand or by machine, and it is preferable to remove the gills at the same time in order to reduce bacterial contamination. Trout that have been left ungutted long enough to become stiff after death are often difficult to gut by

machine; they should be processed before the onset of rigor. The head should be left on because beheaded fish keep less well, and because the customer is often reluctant to accept headless trout. Blood remaining in the blood vessel along the backbone after gutting should be scraped or brushed away before the fish are thoroughly washed and packed in ice.

Gutted rainbow trout packed in ice keep in first class condition for 1 week and remain acceptable for 2 weeks; the shelf life of ungutted fish is much shorter, and chilled storage of ungutted trout cannot be recommended. Stale trout can be recognised by their sunken eyes, loss of colour and bloom from the skin, and the accumulation of yellow slime on skin and gills.

Last edited by outdoorlivin247; 06/05/13 02:12 PM.
F
F
SP, I can not give you a scientific answer, but can say that I have come across similar situations with my trout. They seem very sensitive in regards to keeping their out-of-the-water look. I will catch one, and no sooner am I heading to the house to clean it, the color is fading. I have also noticed that if I set it on the ground to take a photo, where ever the back side was touching the ground it is mottled and changed in color and never changes back.

Hope the others you have make it thru. We are in the same weather pattern as you, with no rain while everyone else seems to be drowning.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I don't know if it's just the appearance from the picture, but it looks like a golden trout to me. Don't know if you stocked any, but they'd appear that color even when small. I know you didn't stock too many fish so you'd have noticed if you had a golden in the mix of fish you put in, but, again, it sure likes that way to me from the picture.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
OP Offline
It does kinda look like a golden rainbow from the picture but I know for a fact that rainbow trout golden rainbow trout and brown trout will not survive in my pond due to the low PH.

since the water is very low cause I drained it I went and spread lime over the whole bottom of the pond and Next week I will fill the old spring house with lime stone and let the water seep through it into the bottom of the pond that should raise the PH enough so that this winter I can stock some goldens and browns.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well, then I'm at a loss other than to agree with the other theory that it just may have been dead a little longer and have lost more coloration as a result.

Anxious to see pics of your renovation project. Good luck with getting it all to come together.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
SP, sorry for your loss! I know you were doing what you could to try to prevent that.

I can't explain the color change but I'm sure someone else will.

And hopefully it's not a complete loss!

Keith

Dang that's looks delicious. Heading to creek first chance I get. Some wild rainbow trout sounds good.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Small Pond, what was the pH? If CC can survive it, I am surprised brown trout couldn't? Have you considered tiger trout?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That's an easy one. It was dead longer than the other brook trout or just faded faster when it died.

When I harvest my big ones I euthanize them by overdosing them with an anesthetic. Once dead they lighten up. However upon immediately freezing them open air on a nonstick surface they darken back up.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/13 06:21 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

F
F
Well that's interesting Cecil. I have thought that when my water temps are colder, my trout a more colorful. I suppose when they die, they have all the warm blood in them, and usually the outside temps are warmer(part of the reason why they might die naturally), but apparantly the flesh/skin when froze still has the ability to change back. Neat...

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Small Pond, what was the pH? If CC can survive it, I am surprised brown trout couldn't? Have you considered tiger trout?
The ph is normally 5.5-6.0 I couldn't believe it that the brown trout wouldn't survive in it too but I have tried to stock them before and they did the same thing that the rainbows did. I did look into stocking some tiger trout before but I couldn't find any body close that raised them. This Fall I will probably drain the pond once again harvest every fish that I don't want in their. and stock with golden rainbows and browns.
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
That's an easy one. It was dead longer than the other brook trout or just faded faster when it died.

When I harvest my big ones I euthanize them by overdosing them with an anesthetic. Once dead they lighten up. However upon immediately freezing them open air on a nonstick surface they darken back up.
Thankyou Cecil That's very interesting.

Just curious How long does It take the fish to die once it's been put in the anesthetic?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Is the fish edible if killed that way?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Well that's interesting Cecil. I have thought that when my water temps are colder, my trout a more colorful. I suppose when they die, they have all the warm blood in them, and usually the outside temps are warmer(part of the reason why they might die naturally), but apparantly the flesh/skin when froze still has the ability to change back. Neat...

Trout and most other fish are poikilothermic -- no warm blood -- they take on the temps of water they are in. Pretty sure water temp does not effect pigment. Diet and hormones have the biggest effects on the color of a fish. Light penetration and background colors do too.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/13 09:52 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: small pond
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
The ph is normally 5.5-6.0 I couldn't believe it that the brown trout wouldn't survive in it too but I have tried to stock them before and they did the same thing that the rainbows did. I did look into stocking some tiger trout before but I couldn't find any body close that raised them. This Fall I will probably drain the pond once again harvest every fish that I don't want in their. and stock with golden rainbows and browns.

Thankyou Cecil That's very interesting.

Just curious How long does It take the fish to die once it's been put in the anesthetic?

Depends on the dosage and water temps. For me it's in less than 10 minutes.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup

Not advisable. As you know Scott my fish are not grown to eat.

F
F

Trout and most other fish are poikilothermic -- no warm blood -- they take on the temps of water they are in. Pretty sure water temp does not effect pigment. Diet and hormones have the biggest effects on the color of a fish. Light penetration and background colors do too.

Ok, then I am confused (not hard to do ).

The fish go pale at death then because of hormones?

Then the color comes back in the freezer because of the darkness?

Last edited by fish n chips; 06/06/13 10:07 AM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Ok, then I am confused (not hard to do ).

The fish go pale at death then because of hormones?

Then the color comes back in the freezer because of the darkness?

I think you were on to something about the fish going pale because of lack of blood flow. Just it's not due to '"warm" blood. Not sure why they darken back up apon freezing. Btw conversely my bluegills turn dark when they get stressed or die and stay that way regardless of freezing.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/13 01:51 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Yep Cecil, I know that your fish are sold to taxidermists for mounting, but SP asked, and I assumed that he eats the fish. Maybe an incorrect assumption on my part.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
I don't eat too much fish but I guess that's just because My mom and dad always bought fish from the supermarket and they always seemed to have that fishy taste but I do like fresh trout catfish bg ect.

I plan on harvesting the fish this fall eating most and getting the biggest one mounted.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: CB
When I harvest my big ones I euthanize them by overdosing them with an anesthetic.

Originally Posted By: essup

Originally Posted By: CB
Not advisable. As you know Scott my fish are not grown to eat.

However, these fish can be smoked, or, if one prefers, baked into brownies.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Yep Cecil, I know that your fish are sold to taxidermists for mounting, but SP asked, and I assumed that he eats the fish. Maybe an incorrect assumption on my part.

And even though I responded to you I posted it for his benefit. I had the same assumption as you.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/06/13 01:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy