Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, Bill Cody, Groundhog7, Sunil, gehajake, CentexSaj, catscratch, wps456, teehjaeh57, Shorthose), 886 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#336140 05/24/13 12:19 PM
OP Offline
Due to some bad judgement on my part my mower has ended up in our pond which is around an 1/8 acre. The mower is in around 12 feet of water and there is now some gas leakage showing on the surface. Will it evaporate or is there some way to get it off the surface? The mower had around 3 to 4 gallons in the tank. We have a couple divers coming to get it out since it is to deep for us to hook onto it. Thanks for any advise.

Jim at FishinPals
"If You Too Busy To Go Fishing, You're Just To Busy"

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Wow! Thank god everybody is ok.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
OP Offline
That's for sure. Didn't get wet either. Was off the mower and was stuck on a small mound of dirt and tried to push it forward a little but forgot that my turn wheels were headed downward towards the pond. All I could do was watch it as it rolled down hill and into the pond and sink out of sight. The neighbors will have something to due this afternoon. They can come and watch the divers do their job. May be a time for some food.

Jim at FishinPals

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Hopefully most of that gas and oil will stay contained. I'm not sure how you would clean that besides maybe skimming it like they do the oil spills. Not sure if gas is thick enough for that though.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
If it makes you feel any better, I had a long time client come in two days ago with a picture in his pocket, which he gave to me to try to identify.

I looked at it for a couple of minutes, remembered that he's in the lawn care business, and finally told him,

"Don, that looks like a zero turn mower at the bottom of a swimming pool", which is unfortunately exactly what it was.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I know this is irrelevant, but I feel compelled to ask: What kind of mower is it?

I'm glad no one was hurt. I think your pond will be fine, especially if they're removing it this afternoon........hard to say about the mower itself, though. I've had a few in that condition come through the shop.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
OP Offline
The mower was a John Deere X360. Had it around 4 years.

Jim at FishinPals

O
O
My great uncle put his in the river about 10 years ago...My brother and I had to dive hook it and winch it out with the Jeep...

As for the mower...Change all the fluids as soon as you get it out of the pond and get it running ASAP...Fresh water will not hurt it as long as it doesn't have time to set...

Hope all work out for you...

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You should be fine with the engine itself, after a couple of oil changes/flushes, and a new air filter. But the hydro trans might be another story. That X360 might have a drain plug, or it could be a sealed unit, which means that getting the water out of the trans without a complete teardown/disassembly will be problematic. A hydro runs hot, plenty hot enough to boil any water remaining inside, which creates steam pockets, or voids.....resulting in loss of motion once operating temps are reached.

I've had to replace units before due to being unable to get all the water out of them.

R
R
Thankfully everyone is ok.

Do you have a marine or boater supply store around?Usually they carry absorbent pillows that will absorb oil and fuel from bilges in boats and they work pretty well.Another thing we used to do is use good old dawn dish soap as a dispersant around the fuel dock,we would dilute it and put it in a spray bottle.One squirt will disperse a lot of gasoline.Although I doubt this is the most environmentally friendly solution but all the marinas have done it for years here.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
72" Exmark not fun

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Believe it or not it was once common practice on fish farms to kill predaceous air breathing insects by spraying a thin coating of diesel fuel on their ponds. Apparently the air breathing insects couldn't break the film.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
What did you try to do?, Evil Knievel it!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Whups!

I rode a 13 hp Craftsman (blades turning) over a steeper than 2:1 slope, and bailed off it right before it hit the water. That was in about 4' of water. Yanked it out right away, drained/replaced all fluids/filters ASAP and fired it up. It was O.K. But, that was not a hydrostat trans.....

I wouldn't worry about the stuff on the water surface. It'll break down and disappear before you know it.

Glad that nobody got hurt.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Believe it or not it was once common practice on fish farms to kill predaceous air breathing insects by spraying a thin coating of diesel fuel on their ponds. Apparently the air breathing insects couldn't break the film.

That is true Cecil, but the downside is that the fry could not break thru this film barrier to get their gas bladders working correctly.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Notice right on the other side of the mower is a clump of grass, turns out it was a pile of dirt and I was already on a pretty steep bank then I had a sprayer on back just rolled right over Luckily I had time to bail out..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

OP Offline
Thanks to all for your comments. Got right on it when we got it out of the pond. Drained the oil, replaced it and the filter. Drained the transaxle fluid but need to get a new filter and fluid tomorrow at the dealer. Was able to siphon most of the gas out and then drain what was left through the gas line. Should get it back to running by noon tomorrow. The trans axle had a drain plug with a filter so I hope I was able to get the water out.

Jim at FishinPals

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I flipped mine over and finished mowing with it wasn't submerged either smile .. Smoked like crazy Coil went out the next day haven't had a problem since.. Full service getting done this weekend though.. Good luck with yours I'm sure you'll be fine..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Don't forget to remove the float bowl and drain the carb also. smile

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
I flipped mine over and finished mowing with it wasn't submerged either smile .. Smoked like crazy Coil went out the next day haven't had a problem since.. Full service getting done this weekend though.. Good luck with yours I'm sure you'll be fine..

Damn you guys live dangerously!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
J
I was mowing along the pond this evening. I was being extra careful and going slow. But I also had a tractor with front wheel assist tractor which helps.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Cecil, maybe you and I won't hold the UHOH record around here much longer.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
V
Fingerling
Fingerling
V
When I was a kid, my buddy broke his leg badly (playin wiffleball!) and spent the summer with a cast from his ankle to his crotch. Used the ridiing mower to get around everywhere, even to go fishing at the pond up the road. Then one day, coming down the hill from the road, it slipped outa gear. The brakes were worthless and all he could do was hold on as it went faster and faster. When it was over, he was in the pond in water over his head.

So after he got himself out, he hopped a little further up the road to his girlfriend's house so she could bring her pickup down and he went back in, found it, and hooked a chain to it and they pulled it out.

Best part of it was he didn't get hurt, just scared. Worst part of it was they didn't get any pictures.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That sounds like the kind of character builder that I have spent my life doing. So far, the building is ongoing.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
This all sounds expensive, but fun....lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2