Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TanyaClick, Brian from Texas, Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously
18,508 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,976
Posts558,142
Members18,509
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,565
ewest 21,505
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,154
Who's Online Now
9 members (Brandon Larson, LANGSTER, Shorthose, FishinRod, Boondoggle, Sunil, RAH, ewest, Theo Gallus), 1,095 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bcotton Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I am looking to work with green sun fish in my aquaponics (read: RAS) system . I have found it impossible to find the green sunfish from texas pond stocking suppliers. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

I have had multiyear success with catfish, tilapia and bluegill in my aquaponics systems. (I have to bvring the tilapia indoors from late october through mid april.) In addition to those fish, I am currently working with LMB, black crappie and red ear sunfish (In early stages of freed training)

Green sunfish interest me to hybrid with bluegill. I would rather try to reproduce my own than buy hybrid bluegill every year or two.

While i dont have interest in pond stocking i find the pond boss magazine and this forum provides a lot of useful information to raising native fish in a a closed recirculating system. Different destinations but the road/information is the same.

thanks,
brian

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome to the forum! Offhand I don't know of any GSF suppliers in Texas, but maybe one of our Texas members does.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Look for a TX supplier who sells HBG. Some import their HBG from other fish farms but many produce their own and would need GSF to do so.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hang around here. Somebody will be bitching about them.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
bcotton Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I sent an e-mail to texas parks and wildlife and they refered me to http://www.texasaquaculture.org/PDF/Avail_List.pdf. I have sent an e-mail to the reasonable close (~2 hours drive) to dallas pond places that i found on this list. Most just said they do not carry green sunfish and that they get their hybrids from someplace else. TBH i dont think any of them actually hatch their own fish. They all seem to get their stock from hatcheries in oklahoma or arkansas. A couple didnt respond to my e-mail.

I also submitted a request for quote to the only online source i could find (thanks google) smithcreekfishfarm.com . The response was "Out of range" I am not sure i know exactly what that means. I assume they dont ship to texas, but i am sure fed ex can next day from their location so i dont know what the deal would be. It also ocured to me that maybe an item on my request was out of the range of expected input and some computer kicked it out with an auto responded. I have no idea, but i wont be wasting anymore time trying to communicate with a company that has such poor customer service that they cant even paste a coherant canned response.

Anyway, if anyone knows a spot around lavon or hubbard with green sunfish, let me know. I guess i will have to try to domesticate some from the wild.

Thanks,
brian

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Hang around here.
Somebody will be bitching about them.

LoL

Fishing has never been about the fish....

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
It is very hard to find pure GSF. I have not seen a hatchery indicate that they had them for sale. Obviously CJ is correct in that HBG come from crossing BG and GSF and the producer should have access to pure GSF. It is worth trying. Let us know what you find out. Note that the wild ones may not be pure.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Fenders Fish Hatchery in Baltic OH used to ship pure strain GSF to California for university research. Contact them for availability and possible arrangements. You can use my name as a reference.
http://www.fendersfishhatchery.com/default.htm

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: essup
It is very hard to find pure GSF.

This is probably due to the inherent incompatability of the terms "pure" and "GSF". Although either term may have meaning when standing alone, when combined there is a fundamental lack of internal consistancy, indeed the combined meaning is ridiculous. To borrow from George Will, other examples might be "Somolian Government", or "family vacation".
The term "Pure GSF" is therefore an oxymoron.

Please do not allow this brief foray into lexicography to deter you in your admirable quest to dilute the genetic material of the abominable GSF.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
^^^ I can hear "Sheldon Cooper" saying those words wink grin grin...........Bazinga!!! grin.

Last edited by hang_loose; 05/15/13 02:22 AM.
B
bcotton Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Bill Cody,

Thanks for the recommendation. E-mail sent. *crosses fingers*

brian

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sometimes a phone call works better with the fish farms compared to email. Call if the email is not answered in 2 days.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
B
bcotton Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Absolutely, I dont mind calling but I like e-mails because people can answer them when they have time. I find that fish farms dont always have a dedicated receptionist set aside to answer calls. hehe

brian

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
bcotton, Fenders will bend over backwards to help you. If they're open, someone will answer the phone. If they don't have it, they will point you in the direction of dealers who have it.

Great family owned operation (for 60+yrs). Dennis, the founder is a hoot. He's 80+ but works the fish farm every day (and knows what he is talking about). You don't meet people like him every day.

Call and talk to him if you can,,, Tell him his wrestling bud from Sunbury, Ohio said hi.

F
F
Originally Posted By: hang_loose
bcotton, Fenders will bend over backwards to help you. If they're open, someone will answer the phone. If they don't have it, they will point you in the direction of dealers who have it.

Great family owned operation (for 60+yrs). Dennis, the founder is a hoot. He's 80+ but works the fish farm every day (and knows what he is talking about). You don't meet people like him every day.

Call and talk to him if you can,,, Tell him his wrestling bud from Sunbury, Ohio said hi.

He'll talk to you all day long on the phone.. smile

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Originally Posted By: hang_loose

He'll talk to you all day long on the phone.. smile

Exactly fish n chips....He will tell different (true) stories often but there is a lot of knowledge in those stories. I've learned a lot from him by just talking to him.

Like I said, a great family owned operation!!! And they raise llamas also.

Last edited by hang_loose; 05/16/13 09:18 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
mark12, Wood
Recent Posts
1/4 acre pond digging it Monday
by LANGSTER - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 05/02/24 11:00 AM
New Pond owner -- fish growth rate question
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:25 AM
How much feed?
by ewest - 05/02/24 10:20 AM
Northern Midwesterner thinking of Tilapia
by esshup - 05/02/24 09:20 AM
Oklahoma Clay bottom Pond leaking or wicking?
by esshup - 05/02/24 09:16 AM
Iris vs Pickerel
by DrewSh - 05/02/24 07:45 AM
Is my feeder toast?
by FireIsHot - 05/02/24 07:28 AM
Considering expansion of DIY solar aeration
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:10 PM
Oxygenator equipment advice
by Bill Cody - 05/01/24 09:00 PM
New pond stocking
by esshup - 05/01/24 07:48 PM
Happy Birthday Tbar!