Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,988
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,537
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, Steve Clubb), 933 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Stain first, then seal. Sealer does just that, seal it from absorbing - which means that the stain will just run off.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Esshup yeah your right. Been working 7 days a week not thinking right lately!! crazy Thanks for that!! smile

Last edited by RC51; 05/31/12 09:36 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
No problem, just sticking my $0.02 in. wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What happens if you add a little stain to the sealer ?

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey everyone just another quick update!

Well we have had some pretty nice days to work on the deck. We got the frame all done and deck boards on in this first pic. As you can see my Dad is enjoying a cold one after all the hard work today! smile I soon followed him after the picture was taken! We used treated 2x6x16 boards for the floor. We also put bridging underneath to make sure the 2x8 floor joists would not try to twist or warp on us. It turned out pretty nice!

In this next pic with my mom and dad it's the next morning and we all had our first cup of coffee on the deck!! That was something I didn't think was ever going to happen!! That was nice!

In this picture you can see my dad finishing up a cut on a post that was to high. We could only get through it so far with the skill saw so for the last inch or so we went old school and broke out the old hand saw! That's right for any of you youngins out there that's actually a real hand saw he is using from back in the day. smile smile LOL! You can also see here in the background how low my water is starting to get. We need some more rain that's for sure!!

Here I am hanging out on the deck with the first section up and in place. Starting to look pretty good!

Well I only got to help dad with the first section and it started to rain on us believe it or not! We actually got some rain! So we had to hold off and him and my mom finished it up during the week! They did a great job and looks really nice thanks mom and dad for all the hard work!!

Here on the last pic kind of shows you more where the stairs are going to be. We decided to hold off on the stairs so they are not in our way when were finishing up the front fascia and soffit. Then we will put the stairs on after. I believe I had decided I will be enclosing the cabin around the bottom but will leave the deck open for easier access to under the cabin from the front side when we have to get under there.

Hope everyone enjoyed this update. I wont have to many more for this year. We will still be doing some electrical inside and maybe some insulation stuff too. I will get pictures of that and the stairs when were done and sad to say that will be it for this year. I have to save up for next year when we start the inside. My pocket book is already shaking!! smile

Have a good one,

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looking good! If you enclose most of the underside, you might want to put up an easily removable part on the rest of it if the majority of the enclosure is critter proof.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
B
yes...."CRITTER PROOF" it. You don't want to have to remove a dead skunk from under there like I did. Between the marauding skunks and burrowing groundhogs, I had to use heavy chicken wire behind the lattice, buried a foot with rock encasing the lower part. Mother Nature is out to show you how well she has trained wildlife to beat you.

Love your place and how the family is sharing this retreat.

sean

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Everyone

Just a quick update from last weekend.
Well we finally got all the fascia and soffit put on the cabin. Man what a job that was. Looks easy but very time consuming. Here I am putting in the last piece.

Here is a shot of the front from a little farther away. It turned out pretty good for just a couple of good ole boys doing it! smile

Here is my dad starting to line up the steps for the deck. He had to custom make these steps as the ones at Home Depot were not long enough. So he had to do it the old fashion way. Glad he knew what he was doing! smile

Here we are putting on the step boards almost done. We used 3 inch screws on the entire deck.

Here is the finished product with the exception of a hand rail. We may wait to do that next spring.

And here is the deck from a distance for the most part done. It turned out pretty nice. 12x16 foot is just right. I am glad we did not go smaller. At the last second we got what Bretski calls 2 foot itis, and went 16 foot instead of 14 and I am glad we did!!

Well after all that my mom and I decided to do a little fishing. Here is a pic of one of the nice BG she caught. She caught 2 nice ones that night.

Later I caught this nice Blue on a mini minnow crank bait. Man they are starting to grow up some!!

Then right before dark I decided to put on a 1/4 ounce buzz bait and try it. I have not caught any of my Florida strain bass I had put in the pond this year at all and was starting to get worried that they may have died?? Then all of a sudden BOOYAAA!!! This bad boy hit my buzz bait that was awesome!! I also had 2 others blow up on the bait but missed it!! I was happy to see my bigger bass once again! I was starting to think I was doing something wrong. This bass was right near 18 inches biggest one to date. I did not get a weight on it but it looked ok. Maybe a little under weight but not bad.

My son also caught a very nice HSB I couldn't believe how big they are already. I didn't get a pic of it sorry, but it was at least 12 inches already and plump When I put them in the pond in March they were 8 to 10 inches. Some of them have already grown close to 2 inches! He had a 4 foot rod and was having a blast with that fish!! I love it!! Can't wait to see him catch a 3 or 4 pounder!! Well that's it for now. I will make one more post for this year on the cabin and then were done till March. Can't believe were stopping already this year seems like we just got started! smile

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: RC51
...At the last second we got what Bretski calls 2 foot itis, and went 16 foot instead of 14 and I am glad we did!!

and a good thing 2 foot-itis set in, l'est you would suffer my other affliction: It ain't done right until it's done twice

looks good, man
Vinyl for the soffit work?....looks like it. I love the stuff for soffit work. Vinyl is final.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Originally Posted By: RC51
...At the last second we got what Bretski calls 2 foot itis, and went 16 foot instead of 14 and I am glad we did!!

and a good thing 2 foot-itis set in, l'est you would suffer my other affliction: It ain't done right until it's done twice

looks good, man
Vinyl for the soffit work?....looks like it. I love the stuff for soffit work. Vinyl is final.

Hey Ski what's up? Yes we used Vinyl for sure! No more messing with that. Like you said final when it's done it's done. Like my dad says just wash the fascia off with a hose when you need to and that's that!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
RC, that is awesome progress, buddy! It looks fantastic. You and your folks have a lot to be proud of with what you've accomplished there. As I told Brettski in his garage apartment thread, after being away from the forum a few weeks, there were some threads I was looking forward to seeing and yours was one. Congrats on the results!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
RC, that is awesome progress, buddy! It looks fantastic. You and your folks have a lot to be proud of with what you've accomplished there. As I told Brettski in his garage apartment thread, after being away from the forum a few weeks, there were some threads I was looking forward to seeing and yours was one. Congrats on the results!

Thanks Todd it has been hard work but fun work too. As Eric always says take time to smell the roses on the way, and we are trying to do more of that now that we have the cabin is in the dry. This coming March we will be starting more on the inside stuff. Not sure how far we will get with my budget and all but we will do what we can and then go fishing I guess! smile First order of buisness is getting that bathroom done!!! smile Talk to you later,

RC

Last edited by RC51; 08/29/12 07:19 AM.

M
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
M
Awesome! Very nice place sir.

Your dad must be a pretty good carpenter or he really knows his trigonometry. Cutting out those stair risers dosen't look that hard until you try it. Scraping 12' - 2x12's sucks!

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
mnfish,

Thanks, My Dad actually is good in both those areas so yeah he did it right the first time! Thank goodness like you said 2x12's are not cheep that's for sure!! The cabin is about 90 miles from where I live I wish is was a bit closer at times but at the same time once you get there you feel like your away and that's the point right? Getting away from it all!!

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Well it's that time of year again!! My mom and dad are back for another year of working on the cabin with me. We will be working on master bedroom and bathroom and getting up some insulation up as well. Maybe some sheetrock. I will keep everyone posted as we move forward this year. Not sure how much we will be able to do as I spent the better part of January in the hospital and our buget is not what it should be but we will press on. I am just glad to still be here and enjoy working on it!! smile

So this coming weekend I will get some pictures and our first update of the year.

RC

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Good to be back on track RC. Get the insulation up before it gets hot.

R
R
Looking forward to it.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey everyone well here is the first post for this year nothing real exciting but non the less the first post.

First I thought I would take a couple of pics of the front and back yard. It is starting to shape up some and we are getting some grass! Won't be long and I am going to have to buy a small lawn mower of some sort.

Pond side

Back side

Now down to buisness smile

We first started out by making some real thin strap boards to help hold up our insulation on the ceiling so the weight of the insulation wouldn't tear out our staples.

During the week mom and dad put up the side wall insulation in the master bedroom and bathroom. Those are the 2 rooms we are working on this year for now. Here is a couple of the pics in the master bedroom.

Then dad and I started on the ceiling in the bathroom. We made a T bar out of a 2x4 and a 3 foot 2x2 about the same height as the ceiling to help support the insulation as we went along with the staple gun.

So one guy holds the T bar in place and slowly moves back with it and the other staples it worked pretty good.

Then of course at the end you can pull the T bar out and finish it off.

Then we took those thin strips of board we cut and made some supports until we can get the ceiling put up. Here in this pic you can also see the fan we put in the bathroom. It's a exhaust / heater / light fan. The heater part is nice on those cold mornings!

Then last we went and bought the surround tub and shower here in this picture we kind of just got it in place your actually looking at it throught the bedroom wall. We still have to do some plumbing and all for that down through the floor which will be doing pretty soon. I will be picking up a hot water tank this week to put in also.

Well that's it for this weekend. Not sure how long we will be working this year as my money is kind of tight after being in the hospital for 22 days but we will do what we can!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 05/13/13 12:45 PM.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
RC, looking good. Keep those updates coming when time and $$$ allow...

Just do it...
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome back to the DIY show, RC. Please tell me that you are gonna set that tub unit into a bed of mortar. It make ALL the difference in the world for a firm, stable tub base when you are standing in it.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Welcome back to the DIY show, RC. Please tell me that you are gonna set that tub unit into a bed of mortar. It make ALL the difference in the world for a firm, stable tub base when you are standing in it.

Hey Ski I was thinking about how to firm it up?? The 3 little legs on the bottom are kind of sad for sure! I will run that past Dad and see what he thinks sounds like a good idea to me!!

Thanks,
RC

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Another vote for a mortar bed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
make that three votes for the mortar bed. you will not be sorry.

I have this exact same unit. I used a couple of 2x4's laid on side then filled the small void with spray foam underneath. Makes a world of difference in stability of floor base...especially around drain area.

I drilled a hole to access the ends of the lexan handle and added an LED to each end. It lights up like a stick of neon which is a cool effect for about $8

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Great start RC. Good idea to get a bed and bath ready before the big heat gets here in July. A location to retreat to and clean up. I hate working with insulation in summer. A holdover from doing attics as summer work for an electrician.

Support under the shower is critical (we had one rot the floor and it almost fell through).

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Snipe - 04/26/24 10:32 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/26/24 10:00 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by esshup - 04/26/24 09:48 PM
Non Iodized Stock Salt
by jmartin - 04/26/24 08:26 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/26/24 07:24 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!