Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,113
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,418
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Bobbss, esshup, Boondoggle), 754 guests, and 189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
J
I had canvas chest waders I left on my picnic table on the deck inside a screened in area, so they would be handy. I went to use them and mice had eaten holes in them. I should have known better as I had a set of sail ruined by mice in my garage. I just bought neoprene chest waders last month but now I wish I had waited and bought the breathable ones.

A small group of us went kayak/canoeing two days ago and I made sure the river wasn't dangerously flowing from previous rains. That can be a killer. Years ago near us, three guys in a pond were fishing in a canoe that tipped over. Two got to shore and one drown. I couldn't figure out how that could happen since he could have grabbed onto the canoe. I had a canoe at our lake cottage and decided to test out what must have been his predicament. I got out of the canoe and tried to get back in. I couldn't do it. It rolled like a barrel when I tried to get in from the sides. I tried to just hang on from the sides and couldn't because it just rolled. So I went to the end to hang on and even with the flotation it went down and I had to let go. After this experience I felt a canoe could be death trap if you couldn't swim well or in cold water where hypothermia would soon set in. The only thing I found for safely was having two people lock arms from each side of the canoe and hang on until rescued. I later talked to some canoe experts and they said you could get back into a canoe by yourself by coming up like a dolphin and kinda landing on top of it. I tried this and never could do it. Because of this experience I built my kayak with two side watertight compartments. So If I was by myself in fridged water I could partially fill the kayak with water to stabilize and lower it and swim over the edge to get in. Then paddle to shore before hypothermia put me out of business.

Below I am testing this theory out with my kayak partially filled with water.

Smart move for trying it in flat water, and thanks for the head's up.

AL

F
F
Check this you-tube video out. I think these guys demonstrate different techniques pretty well. They make it look easier than it really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a5xTX-OBfQ[/url]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
f-n-c.

I've gone through a fair amount of training, but that video puts it in good perspective.

My mistake last week was overloading the canoe with trash like tires, a 55 gallon drum, and trash bags stacked high on the tires and the drum -- and then not planning for the unexpected.

I should have known better, but wasn't expecting problems. I'd canoed this area a number of times before, but not in the last two years. Unfortunately, one or more of the big storms in the last two years changed the area quite a bit, building up two islands in the river, resulting in three very fast moving channels which came together into some very rough white water with a lot of big sunken trees.

Thankfully we all knew what to do and we had on the right equipment. But, my partner and I still both spent about 30 minutes in the water. I went down river at least a quarter mile before I could make my way to shore. Friends in the canoe behind ours got my partner out of the water. The canoe wasn't going anywhere.

About the time I got out of the water, the other friends from the canoe came into shore where I was at, which was near my truck. I had hooks, ropes, and straps that were used to get to my partner up the extremely steep embankment. They were also able to hook and free the canoe, which my friend recovered.

It certainly gives me good respect for life preservers. I almost always wear one, even in my pond when in the canoe or kayak. I'm certainly not going wader wading, kayaking, or canoeing without one ever again.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Newer breathable wader have a chest strap, which you can practically swim in them. For mine, with the class 3 PFD on, I can literally swim to shore from 500ft away, with less than 1/2 gal of water got into my chest wader to my groin area. The Simmon waders practically have a seal tight chest strap, and a waist strap, in which if you can spare a bit to get the small auto inflate PFD designed for boaters, you're practically air tight from chest to toes. I'm a strong swimmer, but I don't leave things up to chance when I'm in cold water during the winter, as my float decides to spring a leak in the middle of the night.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Leo,

I will agree that the new breathable waders are the best I've ever owned. But, even with the chest strap and waist strap quite tight, when subjected to buffeting from all directions in extremely strong currents for over 30 minutes, water still wicks in through your clothes -- although, nowhere near as much with other types of waders. My cell phone was in a sealed ZipLoc bag, in the water-tight pocket on the front of my waders, and it even took in enough water to kill it.

When we got the canoe back, my "watertight" Minnkota Kayak bag, which was tied to a rope at the stern of the canoe, was a quarter full of water.

In my 65 years I've never before been subjected to this kind of current, and I've been through some nasty stuff, including during my six years in the Navy. I too am a fairly strong swimmer, and I'm glad I'm in fairly good physical condition. It still took nearly everything I had to get out of the current and to shore. It took me about 4 days to get back to where I could reasonably work out, and even then, I am still hurting.

If I go down this river again, I'm going to add one of the inflatable preservers as a backup.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
J
Fish n chips, thanks for the canoe rescue video. I tried solo rescue like that in the video but couldn't do it and I was in warm calm water. That canoe looks like it could be wider then the one I had. I have a DVD on upside down kayak Eskimo rescue wearing an apron to keep the water out that I used for my sea kayak. When out of the kayak and in the water we use a paddle float to reenter. That possibly could be done but I don’t know if a canoe paddle would be long enough. Just be safe.

F
F
Yeah John, like I said the video makes it look easy. My wife took a safety course where she learned how to do it. She was bruised up pretty bad from getting in. She says now, a bit older, she don't know if she could do it. When she took the safety course, she was younger and had many years of gymnastic training.!!! It's a lot easier when there is a second canoe and they can go to the opposite side to help hold the canoe more stable while the person re-enters.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
We used to practice all these techniques in Boy Scouts. I never really had much problem getting back in being a bean pole. I would always get in then my canoe partner would swamp us again trying to get in. I found it easier to climb in from the ends. Now I'm curios if my out of shap butt can still do that. When the water warms up a little ill swamp canoe in pond and try out. Might have wife record this because things could get funny quik.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
J
J
Jwwann if you do record the canoe reentry I would like to see it. With my aluminum canoe when I grabbed the end just to hold on, let alone to climb in the end it would go down under water and wouldn't hold me even to rest. What happened I think is as the end started to submerge the other end started to raise and increase even more the weight on the submerging end. I only weighed 160 at the time in the early 70's and was in good condition. So I have to think my canoe didn't have enough floatation in the ends. The other thing is if a canoe picks up any water when one falls out then as you try the over the side reentry the water sloshes to that side along with the weight of the person to make the canoe tend to roll even more. My hats off to anyone that can re-enter a canoe solo.
Below is how a paddle float works on a kayak. The paddle is held in place with buggy cords.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 09:45 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails